Solid State Batteries

EVCar

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
GT
Someone on the forum recently mentioned something along the line that the value of current Air models will depend on the development of solid state batteries.
Today, I came across the news that Nissan is planning mass production in 2028.
Nissan's probably not the only one, and I would assume Lucid's in the chase, too.
A one million-dollar question then would be: with the prospect of new technology, is it worth it to spend $100K or more for the Air?
For me, the answer is yes. My reasoning: for simplicity, assume the Touring, my model, is worth 10K by 2028. This means 100- 10 = 90K, or 15K expense/year x 6, which is actually less than leasing some luxury/performance cars.
Would be interested in hearing others' perspectives, too.

I think your math would be worse case scenario… Luxury cars depreciate faster, that is just the truth. People willing to spend 100k plus on a car want the latest and greatest tech and comforts. Based on my 27 years in the car industry, 20%-25% residual on the Air after 6 years would be my guess.

I think your math would be worse case scenario… Luxury cars depreciate faster, that is just the truth. People willing to spend 100k plus on a car want the latest and greatest tech and comforts. Based on my 27 years in the car industry, 20%-25% residual on the Air after 6 years would be my guess.
Which, of course, means the cost of owning a Lucid, at the current price point, isn't a bad proposition.

If you hold out for new technology then you’ll never get anything. Solid State batteries have been mentioned for years and still no major traction has taken place. VW has a pretty big investment in QuantumScape who’s focusing on solid state also but nothing yet.

I’d be interested to see how solid state performs because if like a hard drive it’s good for so many writes before it dies. Current batteries degrade over time but would you be happy to be told your solid state battery is good for 1000 charges before it dies?

There is so much research going on with respect to batteries. I would venture to say almost every university has something going on in this realm.

One that has recently crossed my desk is this one, https://www.advano.io/. I have no idea where this goes, but it is just one of hundreds of such ventures. There are PE firms that focus just in this area.

I will say none of these ideas are likely to be incorporated overnight and will take years to reach industry. The landscape, IMO, will look different in five years and drastically different in 10. We’ll see, but it will be fun to watch.

I have seen stuff, at least in summary, from Michigan, Penn State, GT, Tulane, NC State, Stanford and a few others. Lots of man hours, brain power and funding being dedicated to battery tech. Aircraft are another exciting area EV engineers are playing with and I have looked at several business plans there as well, exciting stuff.

Back