• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Smart Charging via Lucid App vs Smart Charging App?

rbbarry

This might be a dumb question but what is the difference between smart charging via the Lucid App vs the smart charging app from the company you bought your charger from (like Wallbox or any of them?)

I plan on installing a Wallbox in my garage to charge my Lucid but I see there is a feature in the app to control your car's charging? Is that for the Lucid charger, which is not out yet, or it communicates with any smart charger?

Just curious how these things communicate...

This might be a dumb question but what is the difference between smart charging via the Lucid App vs the smart charging app from the company you bought your charger from (like Wallbox or any of them?)

I plan on installing a Wallbox in my garage to charge my Lucid but I see there is a feature in the app to control your car's charging? Is that for the Lucid charger, which is not out yet, or it communicates with any smart charger?

Just curious how these things communicate...

You can turn charging "on" or "off" on the app, and check charging status (how full battery is, how many miles/hr it is adding) but you CANNOT program it to charge at a specific time using the app or the car. The only way currently to program delayed charging (for example at home if you have reduced rates at low-demand times) is with an aftermarket wall charger.

You can turn charging "on" or "off" on the app, and check charging status (how full battery is, how many miles/hr it is adding) but you CANNOT program it to charge at a specific time using the app or the car. The only way currently to program delayed charging (for example at home if you have reduced rates at low-demand times) is with an aftermarket wall charger.
So just so I understand this. Something like the wallbox, where I can say, schedule it at midnight through 6am. I just do that with the wallbox app. I do not need to tell the Lucid app to turn off or on charging? Or I need to do both?

So just so I understand this. Something like the wallbox, where I can say, schedule it at midnight through 6am. I just do that with the wallbox app. I do not need to tell the Lucid app to turn off or on charging? Or I need to do both?
I don't have my car yet, but I imagine the Lucid is 'always on' and ready to charge. By setting your charging times on the Wallbox app, you can plug your car in anytime and it'll only charge during the set hours. That's what I do with my Volvo and Chargepoint.

You just need to program the wall charger. I have Electrify America home wall charger and it starts at midnight for super off peak.

I don't have my car yet, but I imagine the Lucid is 'always on' and ready to charge. By setting your charging times on the Wallbox app, you can plug your car in anytime and it'll only charge during the set hours. That's what I do with my Volvo and Chargepoint.
Interesting - that's also what I do with my Volvo and Chargepoint ;). I prefer Chargepoint's "charging window" approach to our Tesla car's "start charging at time" setting. I can plug the Volvo in any time, and it'll charge if it's off-peak.If I plug the Tesla in during the car, I have to go into the car or the app to bypass the "start charging at time" timer and get it to charge.

The Electrify America app also allows to set a stop time. I charge from Midnight to 6am. I don't charge everyday so sometimes it doesn't quite get me back to 80%.

The Electrify America app also allows to set a stop time. I charge from Midnight to 6am. I don't charge everyday so sometimes it doesn't quite get me back to 80%.
Is there a reason you went with an EA home charger?

Is there a reason you went with an EA home charger?
I thought at the time I ordered it that perhaps I would be able to have Public / Home charging in one app.

Since public charging at EA stations is done through the Lucid App, that is not the case.

The EA unit was $600. It was easy to set up and program and has worked well. It did erase my program during an update, but otherwise no issues.

If the Lucid App had a time of charge feature, I would have just bought another cable, or if Lucid home charger was available I would have bought that instead.

I don't have anything to compare it against, but the EA charger has worked as expected. Plug in when I get home and it charges 12-6 and the app has history and energy used per charge.

I thought at the time I ordered it that perhaps I would be able to have Public / Home charging in one app.

Since public charging at EA stations is done through the Lucid App, that is not the case.

The EA unit was $600. It was easy to set up and program and has worked well. It did erase my program during an update, but otherwise no issues.

If the Lucid App had a time of charge feature, I would have just bought another cable, or if Lucid home charger was available I would have bought that instead.

I don't have anything to compare it against, but the EA charger has worked as expected. Plug in when I get home and it charges 12-6 and the app has history and energy used per charge.
I’m going to wait and see about the Lucid home charger as I would like to have the bidirectional capabilities. I currently have a ChargePoint charger which our other EV uses. I can share that with the Lucid and just top off with the mobile charger. If the Lucid home charger is too expensive or not designed right, then I may consider wither the EA Charger of the Grizzle. Would get another ChargePoint but it is limited to a single unit on the App.

...Would get another ChargePoint but it is limited to a single unit on the App.
Interesting, didn't know that. I wonder if that limitation can be bypassed by creating another account (login) for the app? I'm hoping the Lucid charger can be wired from either top or bottom (unlike the Chargepoint), as my current Tesla HPWC is wired from the top and would be an easy swap if its replacement were also top-wired.

Interesting, didn't know that. I wonder if that limitation can be bypassed by creating another account (login) for the app? I'm hoping the Lucid charger can be wired from either top or bottom (unlike the Chargepoint), as my current Tesla HPWC is wired from the top and would be an easy swap if its replacement were also top-wired.
you do need a different account, with a different email. I just don’t want the hassle of switching accounts. They need to allow multiple chargers on the app or they are inviting their market.

Back