Should I get a Lucid home charger?

L-Dude

Active Member

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2025
Messages
1,347
Reaction score
1,726
Location
SE US
Cars
2025 Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
KYSLYZ47
I have a bunch of referral points burning a hole in my virtual pocket, and about the only thing I see in the rewards store that is interesting is the Lucid Home Charger.

Right now, I have a ChargePoint HomeFlex installed and it has been fine. It has a bunch of features I thought I would use but honestly haven't had much use for. I mean they are cool to check out but I really don't need them. The electrician that installed the HomeFlex didn't install wiring that is heavy enough to allow full 48a charging. I am limited to a max of 40a. Not a big deal with my old EV, but now that I have an AGT with a giant battery, it can take 10+ hours to charge.

Because of this, I am attracted to the idea of 80a charging. I could get the Lucid charger for free, but it would prolly be another $1k to rewire the connection. This would be helpful because there are times where I just forget to plug in my car. (This is less of a problem with the AGT because it has such great range, but still...). However I would like to eventually have V2H at my home since we are in the south and having backup power during hurricane season is a good thing.

So I am wondering if investing in a Lucid charger now makes sense since future V2H may (will?) require adding additional equipment at the house. I think I've read that the current Lucid home charger will be compatible with V2H but I am not sure about that.

Thoughts?
 
I can make arguments both ways. If you’re otherwise happy with what you’ve got why mess with it. On the other hand, if you can get the charger for free, even with the wiring upgrade cost, you could get much faster charging and possibly future proof your house.

I say why not if you’re not gonna use the points for anything else. 😂
 
I got the Lucid HCS, currently sitting in its box in the garage, from referral points. I plan to install it when Lucid makes good on its promise on bidirectional charging...
 
I bought one of the very first LCHCS chargers when they first came out in early 2022. I bought it with the promise of V2H "very soon". Had it installed by a local company (Willow Glen EV Experts) who had been working with Lucid team in charge of developing the LCHCS. When he installed it he told me the setup would be capable of V2H albeit with some additional hardware/software being developed. That was over 3 1/2 years ago and V2H in still "coming very soon". All that said, it is an excellent charger and delivers 17-18 kW of charge resulting in around 80 miles every hour. I also use it to charge my wife's Genesis GV60 and on that connection it delivers 11kW.
 
I got the Lucid HCS, currently sitting in its box in the garage, from referral points. I plan to install it when Lucid makes good on its promise on bidirectional charging...
I wish I had more confidence that the current version of the LHCS would work with any future V2H implementation from Lucid.
 
I wish I had more confidence that the current version of the LHCS would work with any future V2H implementation from Lucid.
There's also the question of which version to get: NACS or CCS. I haven't seen Lucid sell a replacement cable separately, as does Chargepoint. Right now, to switch, it's a whole new charger.
 
I'm not sure the LHCS would be compatible with a modular cable replacement like Chargepoint. I didn't do a teardown or anything but based on what I recall when I installed mine, it seemed very hardwired.
 
I'm not sure the LHCS would be compatible with a modular cable replacement like Chargepoint. I didn't do a teardown or anything but based on what I recall when I installed mine, it seemed very hardwired.
Agreed, the LCHCS isn't amenable to a homeowner cable swap.
 
I've already swapped out my ChargePoint once and it was very straightforward. However since I would need new wiring from the panel to the charger, I would have an electrician do the whole thing.
 
I wish I had more confidence that the current version of the LHCS would work with any future V2H implementation from Lucid.
I actually have complete confidence that it will get done. When is a different question 😝
I've already swapped out my ChargePoint once and it was very straightforward. However since I would need new wiring from the panel to the charger, I would have an electrician do the whole thing.
There are jumper pins to lower the current draw if you wanted to give it a “test” run with existing wiring - but it kinda defeats the initial purpose, no?
 
do you currently receive a discount for off-peak charging? does your electric utility co require you to pick a charger from the list to receive that discount? I get a discount and they need the data from my chargepoint home flex for that. typically, the lucid charger isn't on the utility co list of chargers. but if you don't get a discount / aren't interested in one, or you are / do but your utility co doesn't have any specific charger (EVSE) requirements, then that factor goes away.
 
I had a ~40 amp charger installed while waiting for Lucid to deliver their charger (4 years ago). The 40 amp charger was more than enough: reliable, easy to install and use.

That said having the 80 amp LUCID charger is so nice when you are leaving on a trip and want to top up the batteries while you are preparing for the trip morning of. Plug in while you're having coffee/ reading the paper / packing your bags vs night before (and you forgot).

I too was looking forward to having battery back-up for the house but I now believe it will not happen. Perhaps getting a wall back-up battery is the better option.

We've out-grown the house and are looking for a condo.
We've found new construction that suits us but still haven't had a response from the builder about car charging. Even though the Lucid charger can be de-rated for lower amp feed I have to wonder if I'd take it with me or leave it and get a lower-amp charger that accommodates both charging standards.

The Boomers are selling their Mc Mansions and ICE vehicles ... they want maintenance-free condos with master suits on the ground floor, back up batteries charged by solar, and EV chargers.

PA has a "follow me into the past" government. Builders are clueless. They need to be forced to meet future demand.
1763310345316.webp
1763310444917.webp

Welcome to Pennsylvania. We love our green renewable transportation solution from the 19th century. New construction with hay barn and horse stall.

I see folk are still buying new ICE vehicles. I wonder what they will do when they try to sell / trade them a few years hence ? They are near worthless now...
1763311319601.webp
 
Last edited:
...Even though the Lucid charger can be de-rated for lower amp feed I have to wonder if I'd take it with me or leave it and get a lower-amp charger that accommodates both charging standards...
In your case, I'd opt for a third-party 50-amp or 60-amp EVSE that has a replaceable cable. Several manufacturers offer units that can be changed from J1772 to NACS with a new cable for about $200. And can be turned on and off with a phone app so that others don't charge unless you want them to (for outdoor installations).
 
Oh, or a Tesla universal wall connector - though I don't have experience with one - how convenient is it to use on J1772, how compatible is it, etc. Plus there's that Elon thing.
 
That said having the 80 amp LUCID charger is so nice when you are leaving on a trip and want to top up the batteries while you are preparing for the trip morning of. Plug in while you're having coffee/ reading the paper / packing your bags vs night before (and you forgot).
I would look at something like Grizzl-E Ulltimate. You can get 80 amps and be able to disable/enable/schedule from phone app. You want 80 amps, get 80 amps.
 
The grizzle-e ultimate would be a great choice if you know you'll never want to change the connector - that is, if you already own only NACS cars. And if your site can handle a 100 amp circuit - not likely in a condo.
 
I have a bunch of referral points burning a hole in my virtual pocket, and about the only thing I see in the rewards store that is interesting is the Lucid Home Charger.

Right now, I have a ChargePoint HomeFlex installed and it has been fine. It has a bunch of features I thought I would use but honestly haven't had much use for. I mean they are cool to check out but I really don't need them. The electrician that installed the HomeFlex didn't install wiring that is heavy enough to allow full 48a charging. I am limited to a max of 40a. Not a big deal with my old EV, but now that I have an AGT with a giant battery, it can take 10+ hours to charge.

Because of this, I am attracted to the idea of 80a charging. I could get the Lucid charger for free, but it would prolly be another $1k to rewire the connection. This would be helpful because there are times where I just forget to plug in my car. (This is less of a problem with the AGT because it has such great range, but still...). However I would like to eventually have V2H at my home since we are in the south and having backup power during hurricane season is a good thing.

So I am wondering if investing in a Lucid charger now makes sense since future V2H may (will?) require adding additional equipment at the house. I think I've read that the current Lucid home charger will be compatible with V2H but I am not sure about that.

Thoughts?
I have the Lucid Home Charger running at 80 amps, it gives me 52 miles/hour at 11 kWh (on my Pure). It also charges our Mach-E. However, the UI/software is useless (as widely reported here).
 
I've used the 40.50 amp Grizzl-E basic charger for the almost three years I've owned my Lucid Air. It was a bargain at about $499. It has built-in WiFi and timer settings, but I found it's better to disable the WiFi and simply use the Lucid's own charging clock. Also, the Grizzl-E is made in Canada, not China, although that won't protect you from Trump's tariffs, In any event, my Grizzl-E is ultra-reliable and works flawlessly with my Air.
 
Back
Top