Should I get a Lucid home charger?

I have the Lucid Home Charger running at 80 amps, it gives me 52 miles/hour at 11 kWh (on my Pure). It also charges our Mach-E. However, the UI/software is useless (as widely reported here).
11kW sounds too low for 80a charging. It should be around 19kW minus line losses.
 
The grizzle-e ultimate would be a great choice if you know you'll never want to change the connector - that is, if you already own only NACS cars. And if your site can handle a 100 amp circuit - not likely in a condo.
I personally wouldn't worry much about having a NACS connector if my current car has J1772. If years from now the next car has NACS, just buy an adapter, or replace the cable, or replace the charger.
 
I personally wouldn't worry much about having a NACS connector if my current car has J1772. If years from now the next car has NACS, just buy an adapter, or replace the cable, or replace the charger.
In a couple years, all new EVs will use only NACS. Buying a J1772 EVSE means using an adapter that you have to wait 30 seconds after plugging in to charge, every time.
Most EVSEs have non-replaceable cables, including the otherwise great Grizzle-E. That was my point - if you are about to buy a J1772 EVSE, get one that does have a replaceable cable.
 
In a couple years, all new EVs will use only NACS. Buying a J1772 EVSE means using an adapter that you have to wait 30 seconds after plugging in to charge, every time.
Most EVSEs have non-replaceable cables, including the otherwise great Grizzle-E. That was my point - if you are about to buy a J1772 EVSE, get one that does have a replaceable cable.
My ChargePoint can swap out the cable for $200 but I'm still debating if I want to do that.
 
In a couple years, all new EVs will use only NACS. Buying a J1772 EVSE means using an adapter that you have to wait 30 seconds after plugging in to charge, every time.
Most EVSEs have non-replaceable cables, including the otherwise great Grizzle-E. That was my point - if you are about to buy a J1772 EVSE, get one that does have a replaceable cable.
Not sure where the "wait 30 seconds after plugging in to charge" comes from. This is a home EVSE. Even if one had to wait 30 seconds so what.

Buy adapter now or buy an adapter sometime in the future (maybe).
 
I have a bunch of referral points burning a hole in my virtual pocket, and about the only thing I see in the rewards store that is interesting is the Lucid Home Charger.

Right now, I have a ChargePoint HomeFlex installed and it has been fine. It has a bunch of features I thought I would use but honestly haven't had much use for. I mean they are cool to check out but I really don't need them. The electrician that installed the HomeFlex didn't install wiring that is heavy enough to allow full 48a charging. I am limited to a max of 40a. Not a big deal with my old EV, but now that I have an AGT with a giant battery, it can take 10+ hours to charge.

Because of this, I am attracted to the idea of 80a charging. I could get the Lucid charger for free, but it would prolly be another $1k to rewire the connection. This would be helpful because there are times where I just forget to plug in my car. (This is less of a problem with the AGT because it has such great range, but still...). However I would like to eventually have V2H at my home since we are in the south and having backup power during hurricane season is a good thing.

So I am wondering if investing in a Lucid charger now makes sense since future V2H may (will?) require adding additional equipment at the house. I think I've read that the current Lucid home charger will be compatible with V2H but I am not sure about that.

Thoughts?
According to my experience, the Lucid charger is of no use if your charger can provide a charging rate of 50 amps or more. Most chargers are cheaper, offer Wi-Fi benefits (that actually work), and allow for data and logs retrieval. Lucid doesn't offer any of that and keeps us in the dark about any improvements, which I find disrespectful. Not to mention that the Lucid charger is not certified to receive subsidies in several jurisdictions; in Quebec, it's a total loss of $600. And Lucid is much more expensive. I installed it because it was offered with the car, but I would never have paid for it or even used my referral points.
 
Back
Top