Service Calls to 'Remote' Areas

RobG24

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
I'm expecting delivery of my Touring in about a week or so, to Minneapolis. I was curious if any other owners in areas where a Service Center is not close in proximity have had issues with receiving service for any issues that need addressing? Closest service center is in Chicago, or about a 7hr drive away. Obviously the type of service (software fix vs mechanical) plays a role here, so I'm leaving it fairly open as to what your 'issues' may have been and/or what your experience was. Thanks!

Here's been my experience but service experiences--whether nearby or at a distance--vary tremendously with Lucid...

When I received my car in May the nearest service center was 5 hours away. There was a service recall that month (IIRC). I was contacted by service the same day I reached out to customer care. Service scheduled the repair within 2 weeks, I think. I was able to drive the car while waiting; it was no big deal. There were maybe only 1500 Lucid in the wild at that time, and not many in my area. Tech came when he said he would, did a great job, and answered my many, many questions.

In early November I started experiencing a problem with my rear passenger door not closing properly. I reached out to customer care 4 times. I never heard from service. Not even to schedule a repair. Never heard from them. The forum was very helpful with this situation--identifying the problem, coming up with fix-like solutions--and I continued to drive the car.

In mid-November I started experiencing a problem with the seat setting not restoring. I never heard from service. Not even to schedule a repair. Never heard from them. It's annoying AF but the car was drivable.

Two weeks ago my pilot panel went completely out and the top right panel is frozen. The car is not drivable. Customer care referred me to service but I let customer care know I had been waiting 2 months already to hear back from service so they escalated matters a bit. I heard back from service the next day. This new tech is located about 3.5 hours away. I filled them in about all of the problems I was having so they could order all the possible parts and do any necessary work in one trip. I haven't heard from them since (10 days ago). TBD

My advice is:
  • Your car may have some issues; definitely software and maybe hardware. I wouldn't recommend it as your only car (especially considering service distance).
  • Use the forum's delivery checklist to try to identify all possible problems at delivery, scheduling service for them then.
  • Try to get direct phone numbers or email addresses to use for anyone at Lucid that could help when service is needed.
  • Learn how to reboot the car; do so early and often when problems occur.
  • I keep all three unlock methods--FOB, card, mobile--on me at all times.
  • Use customer care early and often when problems occur.
  • Use these forums to help figure out what's a serious problem, a new one, etc.
All that being said, it's a tremendous vehicle, so find a way to be okay with bugs or issues and the delays required to resolve them!

Congrats, congrats!

I second what Larry said about having the Lucid as your only vehicle, in this specific scenario. Please don’t misconstrue this statement as a criticism of Lucid; I love the car, but having a product from a new company , without a mature service network, does bring some unique challenges.

I live approximately 800 miles from the nearest service center and there is a single Lucid mobile tech that I rely on who covers a huge geographical area. I have reached out to service a couple of times about some minor issues, none of which rendered the car inoperable. There was initial frustration, as there was a significant delay to one of my inquiries, which required me to become more persistent in my communications with service. A Lucid mobile technician, James, did reach out to me, made the visit promptly, and diagnosed car issues easily; specifically a poorly fastened rear deck, and a defective back speaker. Since then, there has been a delay in getting parts, which, from reading these forums, seems to be a prevalent issue. That being said, James has been excellent with follow up communication.

It is my impression that the service team prioritizes issues that make the car inoperable ( as they should!!), when responding to service calls. For more minor issues, I think patience is required.

I use my car for almost all driving, but I do feel extra peace of mind knowing I have a back up vehicle in case my car is out of commission for a significant period of time or needs to be towed a long distance to a service center. I think if I lived in proximity to a service center, I would not be nearly as nervous about having a car as my only mode transportation.

I wholeheartedly recommend the vehicle. It is an absolute blast to drive, and even with the potential for hassles (very rare in my case).I have no regrets at all.

I'm expecting delivery of my Touring in about a week or so, to Minneapolis. I was curious if any other owners in areas where a Service Center is not close in proximity have had issues with receiving service for any issues that need addressing? Closest service center is in Chicago, or about a 7hr drive away. Obviously the type of service (software fix vs mechanical) plays a role here, so I'm leaving it fairly open as to what your 'issues' may have been and/or what your experience was. Thanks!

Hi Rob,

I'm a Saint Paul resident, so you may see my Grey AGT around (along with a few others in the area). I've had my car since August, and am enjoying it greatly. I was also concerned about service here, and can report that it is getting better. The first time I reached out in September (over a GPS issue that was ultimately fixed by an update) it took 3-4 times of bugging them to get a result. The only other time I needed something was a couple of month's ago when my rear right door handle got stuck / wouldn't close fully. That also took 3 different follow ups and a month to schedule service, but my impression is that the communication chain has been upgraded and they now know where the calls are coming from and where to route them (first requests somehow got sent to the west coast).

They have a mobile van and naturally want to bundle service requests, so even though my issue took a month to get done, I expect if it was more dire I could have gotten it pushed up. When service came the guy he had a few different appointments in the area, but was incredibly talented, and loved his job, so I have faith at least that they are hiring good people. I now have a contact in Chicago for service, so if you want to PM me when you get the car I can give you his contact info.

One other thing to note is that, at least as of last month, the Chicago center did not have a mobile tire van (which needs different equipment), so I was unable to buy / have installed a set of 19" snow tires. I instead went thru Tire Rack, and when Lucid came they updated the TPMS. The only issue I see on that front going forward is if you have a blow out and whether or not they can send a Mobile tire van or you have to flatbed it to a local shop, which of course would not be a terrible solution.

Best of luck and see you around!

Thanks guys! I appreciate the candid feedback. It doesn’t sway me from the purchase as I kind of figured it would be a little touch and go. Being a part of an early swell requires some tolerance and I’m not scared off by that. But i was just looking for some real-life scenarios that people experienced, which you’ve graciously provided!

Excited for my delivery and I will definitely be on the lookout for others. From my office in MPLS, I see a Zenith Red AGT quite frequently, and saw a QG the other day as well. Fun to see more of them in the wild.

Being in Southern Illinois, I too am 61/2 hours from the Chicago area service center, but it is my "local" service center. The first recall the service tech came quite quickly.

In November, however, I got a call about the tow recall. They said they would probably arrange pick up the second week of December. Have not heard from them since. While I have a short list of minor annoyances, I am ready for them to get going. I have not called them as they will have to take it back to Chicago and in winter, I am a bit wary.

This thread, and others on similar topics, make me think we should establish a regional ‘clinic’ for Lucid owners in areas lacking Service Centers. Could probably even negotiate it with the nearest field service tech - they may appreciate it.

For example, MN owners that have service issues (non-urgent/non-debilitating to vehicle) gather up list of owners and issues, and have a tech come up from Chi or wherever and spend a day or two on cars needing a looking at. Hell we could even fund a hotel room. This could help limit trips for the tech and give owners with issues a little more predictability in when they’ll get serviced.

I second what Larry said about having the Lucid as your only vehicle, in this specific scenario. Please don’t misconstrue this statement as a criticism of Lucid; I love the car, but having a product from a new company , without a mature service network, does bring some unique challenges.

I live approximately 800 miles from the nearest service center and there is a single Lucid mobile tech that I rely on who covers a huge geographical area. I have reached out to service a couple of times about some minor issues, none of which rendered the car inoperable. There was initial frustration, as there was a significant delay to one of my inquiries, which required me to become more persistent in my communications with service. A Lucid mobile technician, James, did reach out to me, made the visit promptly, and diagnosed car issues easily; specifically a poorly fastened rear deck, and a defective back speaker. Since then, there has been a delay in getting parts, which, from reading these forums, seems to be a prevalent issue. That being said, James has been excellent with follow up communication.

It is my impression that the service team prioritizes issues that make the car inoperable ( as they should!!), when responding to service calls. For more minor issues, I think patience is required.

I use my car for almost all driving, but I do feel extra peace of mind knowing I have a back up vehicle in case my car is out of commission for a significant period of time or needs to be towed a long distance to a service center. I think if I lived in proximity to a service center, I would not be nearly as nervous about having a car as my only mode transportation.

I wholeheartedly recommend the vehicle. It is an absolute blast to drive, and even with the potential for hassles (very rare in my case).I have no regrets at all.
I agree with all the comments BUT communications is critical. If the service center is overwhelmed with repairing cars that had problems that made the car inoperable, the company should still find the time to return a call. Waiting for a repair is annoying and burdensome; but waiting for a call to schedule a repair is way worse.

I agree with all the comments BUT communications is critical. If the service center is overwhelmed with repairing cars that had problems that made the car inoperable, the company should still find the time to return a call. Waiting for a repair is annoying and burdensome; but waiting for a call to schedule a repair is way worse.
Totally agree. Communication can be the difference between unfortunate/disappointing and infuriating. And it's something that can be reasonably staffed.

Apologies in advance if I'm overlooking the answer somewhere, but this seems to be the only relevant thread, and I'm still unclear on this issue ...
I live (Amherst MA) a ~3 hr roundtrip from the nearest service center (Natick MA).
Would I ever need to drive the vehicle in for any sort of service?
I'm okay (relatively so) with delays for receiving mobile service. And I'm okay with even longer delays if Lucid has to trailer it to their service center.
(This will be an add'l household car of sorts.)
But if I'm responsible for driving the vehicle to the service center for some issues, ugh.
(I suppose I could just pay to have it trailered to the service center, but that seems somewhat excessive. Although then again, almost everything about this vehicle is excessive!)

Apologies in advance if I'm overlooking the answer somewhere, but this seems to be the only relevant thread, and I'm still unclear on this issue ...
I live (Amherst MA) a ~3 hr roundtrip from the nearest service center (Natick MA).
I'm okay (relatively so) with delays for receiving mobile service. And I'm okay with even longer delays if Lucid has to trailer it to their service center.
But if I'm responsible for driving the vehicle to the service center for some issues, ugh.
(I suppose I could just pay to have it trailered to the service center, but that seems somewhat excessive. Although then again, almost everything about this vehicle is excessive!)
If you are dealing with an issue under warranty, currently there is no reason I'm aware of that you should have to drive in for service. This is the model they have offered, and with service centers sometimes a good distance from the customer, you should expect more delay, but that they will come to you is still their promise. And, no, you should not pay for it to be transferred to a service center unless it is an issue you were somehow responsible for. Even then, I expect your insurance would handle it. See if you can connect with one of the techs at the Natick location, and also some other owners near you. As you might expect, they like to bundle repairs when having to send a service van, so knowing who is near you and what the others needs are could be helpful info. The main thing is your car is under warranty, and you deserve service if it's needed.

I live an hour from the Natick center (the place is awesome by the way, huge!), and they offered to send a tow to pick up my car for 12k mile scheduled service and to fix a piece of broken trim a rock or something had damaged, and inspect for the tow hook recall, but I wanted to see the new place so I drove there. Got my car in at noon, was done by 5pm as I had to be home by 6. The car didn’t need the Tow hook recall, it’s a specific set of serial numbers which they can’t tell until they physically inspect the car. They have a few other service campaigns which take some time which I deferred until I can leave the car with them for a few days. Steve is the manager there, good guy. They cover the entire northeast so are a bit overwhelmed but more sites are opening. The one thing I’d recommend is if it’s going to be a service visit that might take longer than expected or a complex one where new problems could be found, then I’d just have them tow the car, since basically most service is warranty and a tow should be covered. One unlucky owner I met there drove from Maine to have his navigation module reset for the 3rd time, and then the car failed to recognize his key fobs so they needed to keep his car. They got him a rental for him, but the poor guy was there for awhile because a simple thing turned into something much larger.

If you are dealing with an issue under warranty, currently there is no reason I'm aware of that you should have to drive in for service.

We are about 3 hours away from a Service Center. Every item needing attention that was covered by warranty (which was almost all) has been handled either by a mobile tech or by Lucid trailering the car to the Service Center (3 times). The only time I had to drive the car to a Service Center myself was to have the lidar unit recalibrated after the front bumper was removed during an aftermarket radar/laser detector installation. It was obviously not a warranty issue, but Lucid did not charge me for the recalibration. While they had the car, they noticed that the two soft rubber air foils ahead of the front wheels had been torn off, probably by my pulling too far forward over a parking stop. They charged me only for the parts. They even offered me their Level 3 fast charger to juice up for the return trip. The whole service visit cost me a grand total of $11.00.

I recently lost another of the soft rubber airfoils. Lucid ordered the part and sent out a mobile tech as soon as it arrived. This was not a warranty issue, but again they refused to charge me for the service call or the part, even though I really thought they should have.

I've had quite a few minor issues with my early-production car, but I have no complaints about Lucid's service. On the other hand, I think the level of complimentary work they have performed is not financially sustainable and is more a bow-and-thank-you to the earliest adopters while they sort out minor design and assembly issues as production advances. As time passes, I expect the service level to fall more into line with other brands . . . just as I expect continuing production experience to address the issues that caused some of these service visits in the first place.

After 13 months of driving a Lucid and becoming acquainted with the service protocols, we're still planning to replace our Honda minivan with the Lucid SUV when it comes out. Having the nearest Service Center across the state has not been a problem.

^ Thanks, very helpful to hear this, since I'd been wondering how the service would work.

I took delivery of my AT yesterday morning - in 3 degree cold no less!

Prior to shipping out from the service center, there was a delay that the SA stated was ‘a coolant issue’ that they needed to fix.

Of note on delivery inspection was the mounding around the front passenger wheel well. The plastic covering that section was not ‘secured’ and was catching the frunk, preventing it from opening. Upon ‘helping’ the drunk open thru the obstacle, I could push it back down but it didn’t ‘click’ into place. So this was noted as a service need on the form with pictures and marked for future service. No big deal, to me.

Then, when I went out for my first real drive, upon sitting in the car the pilot panel showed an alert saying ‘Low Coolant - Contact Customer Care’. This seems a little concerning? I’ve sent a note to my SA about this and how it didn’t present during our orientation call - but immediately after. We will see what the response is, but 24hrs later I’ve yet to hear (granted it is Saturday/Sunday so I’ll give them a break).

Anyone else experience coolant issues?

Prior to shipping out from the service center, there was a delay that the SA stated was ‘a coolant issue’ that they needed to fix.

Of note on delivery inspection was the mounding around the front passenger wheel well. The plastic covering that section was not ‘secured’ and was catching the frunk, preventing it from opening. Upon ‘helping’ the drunk open thru the obstacle, I could push it back down but it didn’t ‘click’ into place. So this was noted as a service need on the form with pictures and marked for future service. No big deal, to me.

Then, when I went out for my first real drive, upon sitting in the car the pilot panel showed an alert saying ‘Low Coolant - Contact Customer Care’. This seems a little concerning? I’ve sent a note to my SA about this and how it didn’t present during our orientation call - but immediately after. We will see what the response is, but 24hrs later I’ve yet to hear (granted it is Saturday/Sunday so I’ll give them a break).

There have been one or two folks with coolant hose clamp issues or similar; usually a pretty quick fix. Sorry to hear about that!

I had the hose pop, as did @CLTGT I believe, and the coolant drained all over the ground. Never got a low coolant alarm, but it was obvious from the “flood”. It was from the ties holding the hose breaking off and the hose rubbing against the axle until it wore a hole in it. Not sure if that is th3 same situation from you. But they had to flatbed it back to the service center and it took them about a week to fix and return.

Sorry to hear your experience on the cooling issue. And that you had to do the delivery in the bitter cold. Are you in Minnesota by chance? A number of us here now.

I had the hose pop, as did @CLTGT I believe, and the coolant drained all over the ground. Never got a low coolant alarm, but it was obvious from the “flood”. It was from the ties holding the hose breaking off and the hose rubbing against the axle until it wore a hole in it. Not sure if that is th3 same situation from you. But they had to flatbed it back to the service center and it took them about a week to fix and return.
Yep, ditto.

Back