San Diego Zoo

It is, but frankly, we prefer with Safari Park in Escondido. Wide open roaming of the animals as opposed to being in enclosures. I can actually see it from the top of my street.
Second this, safari park>>zoo

I've always wanted to go to San Diego for the zoo, is it worth it?
San Diego Wildlife Alliance runs both the Zoo and Safari Park. They are completely different experiences. The collection of plants and animals at the zoo is crammed into 100 acres. The variety is incredible. If you want to see a huge variety of animals, go to the zoo. Also, the animals are closer to you. You should also check extra cost "experiences" available - like behind the scenes tours. The zoo is 106 years old and has gone through many renovations with Africa Rocks and the new Explorers Basecamp (children's zoo) being state of the art. This is a model of what "traditional" zoos should be with the newer enclosures showing the evolution of how animals are displayed. You are going to do a LOT of walking.

The Safari Park is 1800 acres but only 900 - 1000 acres is what the public sees. The rest is habitat preservation and non-public areas like the world's largest veterinary hospital and different breeding facilities for endangered species. They have the only duckbill platypus(es) outside of Australia. You will see Gorillas, Tigers, Lions, Okapi, minor African animals and Australian animals up close. You MIGHT see rhinos and giraffes up close but might not (for the part of the park where the animals are in 80 acre enclosures, you might want binoculars). If you don't mind spending $100/person, highly recommend the wildlife safari where they take you in trucks into the field enclosures for close up views or doing a behind the scenes tour. This summer, they will be celebrating being open 50 years.

I enjoy both but for different reasons.

If you want more info or have questions, DM me.

@hydbob - if your kids like getting wet, they will love the new basecamp at the zoo. My 6 yo granddaughter and her friend spent a lot of time at the water play area then went to the heated drying stations. Take a change of clothes.

San Diego Wildlife Alliance runs both the Zoo and Safari Park. They are completely different experiences. The collection of plants and animals at the zoo is crammed into 100 acres. The variety is incredible. If you want to see a huge variety of animals, go to the zoo. Also, the animals are closer to you. You should also check extra cost "experiences" available - like behind the scenes tours. The zoo is 106 years old and has gone through many renovations with Africa Rocks and the new Explorers Basecamp (children's zoo) being state of the art. This is a model of what "traditional" zoos should be with the newer enclosures showing the evolution of how animals are displayed. You are going to do a LOT of walking.

The Safari Park is 1800 acres but only 900 - 1000 acres is what the public sees. The rest is habitat preservation and non-public areas like the world's largest veterinary hospital and different breeding facilities for endangered species. They have the only duckbill platypus(es) outside of Australia. You will see Gorillas, Tigers, Lions, Okapi, minor African animals and Australian animals up close. You MIGHT see rhinos and giraffes up close but might not (for the part of the park where the animals are in 80 acre enclosures, you might want binoculars). If you don't mind spending $100/person, highly recommend the wildlife safari where they take you in trucks into the field enclosures for close up views or doing a behind the scenes tour. This summer, they will be celebrating being open 50 years.

I enjoy both but for different reasons.

If you want more info or have questions, DM me.

@hydbob - if your kids like getting wet, they will love the new basecamp at the zoo. My 6 yo granddaughter and her friend spent a lot of time at the water play area then went to the heated drying stations. Take a change of clothes.
Ooh that's new. Was there about 4 years ago, 3 years at the Safari park. Good to know! Once my little little one can get vaxxed then we taking a trip!

As great as the safari sounds, the only time I'd ever be over there with a car is when I pick up my Lucid (I'm from Chicago). We have safari parks over here, and they're great. I am from Columbus, OH which has a fantastic zoo but it's always comes second behind San Diego, so I was sincerely curious.

I see we got moved. Who started this off topic conversation anyways....oh wait...:rolleyes:

As great as the safari sounds, the only time I'd ever be over there with a car is when I pick up my Lucid (I'm from Chicago). We have safari parks over here, and they're great. I am from Columbus, OH which has a fantastic zoo but it's always comes second behind San Diego, so I was sincerely curious.
You are going to pick up your Lucid in CA? And drive back to Chicago?

Then yes, do the zoo. Be sure to start on the bus that will take you all the way around the zoo. Then you can focus on things that you haven't seen or those that you would like to spend more time with.

You are going to pick up your Lucid in CA? And drive back to Chicago?

Arizona or California, unsure. We have friends in California we may visit, but there's plenty of fun sites to visit on the drive back to Chicago.

Back