Road to Gravity Episode 15 - Proving Grounds Final Validation

Nice video. Thanks for posting.
Before discussing timing of the order, I’d be interested in a rather mundane item: the AC. Is it more robust than what’s in the Air, per cubic ft of space?

Final validation, should be ready in a few weeks for delivery. Order to delivery time frame will be in weeks vs years that we saw with the Air.

I want to be optimistic, too, but they have only promised the start of production this year, not deliveries. One vehicle coming off the production line on New Year’s Eve would be a promise kept!

Maybe an editing issue? This sequence occurred in less than a second:

Screenshot 2024-10-12 at 8.58.30 AM.webp
Screenshot 2024-10-12 at 8.56.40 AM.webp
Screenshot 2024-10-12 at 8.58.15 AM.webp

Interesting, though, that instead of just pulling the video, they left the teaser up on the website with the message that the uploader had removed it. For newcomers to the website, this actually draws attention to the fact that something had been removed for some reason.

Last edited:
The video is still down this morning, so perhaps it's more than an editing error that could be quickly corrected?

Makes me wonder if there is something in the video we were not suppose to see.

Luckily reddit cached the video:

Break out the fine tooth combs and start sleuthing
So speaking of fine tooth combs……in my efforts to try to estimate how much headroom the Gravity will have, I noticed that when the narration was referring to the Gravity having three rows, the video editor accidentally had shots of a Rivian R1S in the frame. See time stamp 1:25 and a second or two after. You can tell by the yellow/orange inserts in the side of the head restraints. I am guessing a mis-communication between the audio and video editor.

I originally spotted this in the Youtube video so I was surprised to hear it had been taken down on Youtube.

On the other hand, I was pleased to see that the VP of sales and service who is 6’6”, the same one that was in the “Space” Tech Talk, appearing to have plenty of headroom at 1:44.

@hmp10 did the doors on Gravity seem extra long, or was it just the “depth” (how much distance between the front of the seat and the back of the “firewall) of the footwell was large so there was a lot of room for long legs?
I ask because I see the roof cross-member behind the VP’s head, but it doesn’t seem to protrude into his headspace.

And just out of curiosity:
I attempted to quickly try to figure out what proving ground they were in, but didn’t find an easy match. I assumed AZ based upon the Saguaro cactus in the background and that it looked like the Sonoran Desert.
Has anyone figured that out?

@hmp10 did the doors on Gravity seem extra long . . .

These are long doors. The Gravity has a long wheelbase -- at 119.5" it is exactly halfway between the 118.1" of a Honda Odyssey and the 120.9" of a Chevy Tahoe -- and, as you can see from the photo below, the doors take up a lot of that distance.

What you also see is that the top of the rear door is especially long, extending well back over the wheel well and making it a tricky door to open wide if parked close to anything. (It's the main reason I had hoped to see a rear sliding door on the Gravity, a feature that is unjustly maligned by so many.) It's good that the door opens to almost 90º, as you will need that opening width to maneuver yourself into and out of the third row, but it is not something to be done anywhere near a garage wall or a car parked alongside.

Screenshot 2024-10-13 at 10.21.31 AM.webp

I used this graphic off the Lucid website to do a rough calculation, and I'd say the two doors together are almost 8 feet long:

Screenshot 2024-10-13 at 10.25.49 AM.webp

Last edited:
These are long doors. The Gravity has a long wheelbase -- at 119.5" it is exactly halfway between the 118.1" of a Honda Odyssey and the 120.9" of a Chevy Tahoe -- and, as you can see from the photo below, the doors take up a lot of that distance.

What you also see is that the top of the rear door is especially long, extending well back over the wheel well and making it a tricky door to open wide if parked close to anything. (It's the main reason I had hoped to see a rear sliding door on the Gravity, a feature that is unjustly maligned by so many.) It's good that the door opens to almost 90º, as you will need that opening width to maneuver yourself into and out of the third row, but it is not something to be done anywhere near a garage wall or a car parked alongside.

View attachment 23895

I used this graphic off the Lucid website to do a rough calculation, and I'd say the two doors together are almost 8 feet long:

View attachment 23896
Thank you @hmp10.

Very good point on the doors. Yeah, a sliding door would be perfect in this situation. Unfortunately people see sliding door, say "Ah! it is a minivan!", and of course "everyone knows" that minivan = uncool and won't buy it. Not something I agree with, but present in our society none the less.

Now technically swinging doors are cheaper to build/install than a sliding door (and might have better longevity), but sliding doors functionality, especially if done well, is generally better for passenger ingress and egress in tight spaces.

But I digress, thank you for pointing out the figure on the website, I hadn't even thought to do the math on that since it looks like that figure is to scale.
I am really looking forward to being able to sit in this vehicle.

View attachment 23895

View attachment 23896
Hey @hmp10, I did comparison of the various door panel sizes between our 2015 Ford F-150, Lucid Gravity, and the 2025 Honda Odyssey (last two based off of ratios of figures on the computer screen). I posted it over on the F-150 vs. Lucid Gravity thread.

View attachment 23895

View attachment 23896
That profile is just perfect...looks like an RS6-Avant and Q7 had a baby.

Back