Rivian R1S

FWIW, I test drove a R1S and it was simply too big n bulky for my family of 3 and at most 5 when family visits..I'm very glad I waited and bought a Lucid.. R1S does sit very high for sure
The R1S is only 4.9 inches longer than the Air. Love my Air but I also consider it big-n-bulky.

I’ve never clambered up into a Rivian R1S. I would seriously consider shopping it because of its three row seating. However it appears to sit rather high off the ground, as any SUV would, making it challenging for my elderly family members to enter and exit.

I think I’ll suppress my urge to buy, and hold out for the Gravity. Our current family vehicle is our Tesla Model X, which sits and rides more like a CUV/minivan/stationwagon than it does an SUV.
The R1S does have a "kneel" mode where the car lowers in park to make it easier to get in and out.

I could see where that would be useful. I was at a car show last weekend. No Rivians were there, but there was a Cybertruck and a HummerEV. They were huge. I had to get my right foot higher than my left knee just to get onto the step to climb into the Hummer.

How's your Lucid's lifetime efficiency? Even being way smaller, my lifetime average is 3.0mi/kwh in the Lucid, and ~2.4 in the RIvian. Honestly not that far off 😂
I got lifetime 2.9~3.0mi/kWh Lucid Air GT summer 21”
I got about 2.5mi/kWh Rivian R1S all-season 22”

One is 5200 lbs, one is 7000 lbs. Rivian is true to close to EPA, I honestly think it’s reasonable efficiency given its weight and size.

I didn't like the ride, perhaps because the Rivian I drove had off road tires.
I’ve heard people complain about off-road tires, I know 22” all-season tire is smoother. There are settings you can control suspension. Of course, can compare well planted Air suspension.

Both vehicles imo are best of its class in EV world.

I got lifetime 2.9~3.0mi/kWh Lucid Air GT summer 21”
I got about 2.5mi/kWh Rivian R1S all-season 22”

Yup many people have similar experience. You’re basically beating or matching EPA estimate on the R1S and 25% below epa on lucid. i have about the same too. Its staggering how the same epa test results in such different real world efficiency.

I could see where that would be useful. I was at a car show last weekend. No Rivians were there, but there was a Cybertruck and a HummerEV. They were huge. I had to get my right foot higher than my left knee just to get onto the step to climb into the Hummer.
I once had to get into a Bronco with a 8 inch lift and 40 inch tires, it was pretty much an aerobic workout 🤣

I own both (Air GT and R1S). Both good vehicles but you really can’t compare them to one another. The Air GT is the best driving/riding car I’ve ever owned (and I’ve owned many!) The R1S is a great value for the money and does many things very well (the ADAS features are actually better than Lucid at the moment). I wouldn’t hesitate to buy either vehicle again.
Yes! Finally got my Lucy back.

Definitely had the privilege of testing out the Rivian R1S on the dime of my insurance company for several weeks. Agree that it is a completely different usage case from the Lucid Air and not a direct comparison. I appreciate the R1S utility- took a load of furniture to my daughter's apartment and then three old stinky window AC units to the dump. Could not have done that in Lucy.

That said, glad to be back in my luxurious Air. It's like Christmas in March!!

IMG_2908.jpg

Back