Review of sapphire by MKB

Great review, he understands that going from special to extra special costs something and with Sapphire, there really isn't a comparable car.
Even better are the littany of comments from people who can't afford a Model 3, let alone something like this.

Lot's of well earned praise. The Lucid Engineering Team is really top notch. The key fob situation is really the biggest let down. For most of us that are Team Fob, we have experienced similar lack of performance. I really hope that Lucid 100% solves this for Gravity and any Air refresh/update!

It's a great review and well-earned by Lucid.

However . . . there have been far, far, far too many reviewers who have been unable to get into their test cars. "Edmunds" still goes on about it a year after taking delivery of their car. It's been over two and a half years since Air deliveries started, and it's damned high time that Lucid addresses this problem.

If the Gravity gives similar problems to soccer moms and people on family outings, Lucid could see its whole fate go down the tubes over this one stupid issue. FIX IT, dammit.

It's a great review and well-earned by Lucid.

However . . . there have been far, far, far too many reviewers who have been unable to get into their test cars. "Edmunds" still goes on about it a year after taking delivery of their car. It's been over two and a half years since Air deliveries started, and it's damned high time that Lucid addresses this problem.

If the Gravity gives similar problems to soccer moms and people on family outings, Lucid could see its whole fate go down the tubes over this one stupid issue. FIX IT, dammit.
I can pretty much guarantee Gravity won’t have the same fob issues.

I can also pretty much guarantee the fobs won’t get better for the Air anytime soon; I can’t say why, but I will say it isn’t for a lack of care or concern on Lucid’s part. Their hands are tied for “reasons,” and there’s very little they can do about the fobs for the Airs in the near future. I hope I’m wrong, but I’m doubtful.

With Gravity I can guarantee they didn’t make the same mistakes that tied their hands with the Air fob.

I can also pretty much guarantee the fobs won’t get better for the Air anytime soon; I can’t say why, but I will say it isn’t for a lack of care or concern on Lucid’s part. Their hands are tied for “reasons,” and there’s very little they can do about the fobs for the Airs in the near future. I hope I’m wrong, but I’m doubtful.

With Gravity I can guarantee they didn’t make the same mistakes that tied their hands with the Air fob.
Can you elaborate more here on what the specific challenges are? It’s really hard to imagine a worse fob design than what we have right now.

Can you elaborate more here on what the specific challenges are? It’s really hard to imagine a worse fob design than what we have right now.
I have the same question! I don't get why the fob is as bad as it is..it's not a rant..but I genuinely would like to understand what they got wrong compared to say a different mfr...

Who ever his responsible for that fob needs to be fired!

I have the same question! I don't get why the fob is as bad as it is..it's not a rant..but I genuinely would like to understand what they got wrong compared to say a different mfr...
I am pretty sure I know the reason. It comes down to existing long term contracts that lucid has with its key fob manufacturer. The hardware itself on the car and in the fob would both need changing and that’s given they were even out of their contract which is very long. This was explained to me when I asked a lucid engineer about it. He even mentioned they have stand up meetings with the manufacturer every day to try to make the best of a crappy situation.

I am pretty sure I know the reason. It comes down to existing long term contracts that lucid has with its key fob manufacturer. The hardware itself on the car and in the fob would both need changing and that’s given they were even out of their contract which is very long. This was explained to me when I asked a lucid engineer about it. He even mentioned they have stand up meetings with the manufacturer every day to try to make the best of a crappy situation.
Yea but didn’t they test this out before locking themselves into a massive contract? It’s just a huge miss no matter how you slice it. The design is terrible, usability terrible, and functionally it does not work well at all.

Yea but didn’t they test this out before locking themselves into a massive contract? It’s just a huge miss no matter how you slice it. The design is terrible, usability terrible, and functionally it does not work well at all.
Hey man, not defending it just being the messenger from what I was told. I wouldn’t take my word for gospel though, just what I was told.

On a side note, I’m glad the sapphire got this level of visibility. I’m also happy that the track scene is started to get some more exposure too with Misha tracking and praising the DE-P.

No trunk/frunk/lock indicators on the fob. Even if it worked, you have to remember what sequence to press, big failure. Just give us a regular key fob.

And yet I almost never have an issue with mine. It makes no sense why some of us just don’t have these fob issues.

I can't figure it out, either. We had fits with getting into our first Air Dream (No. 154). The fob burned through batteries in no time; even with a fresh battery, getting the car to respond to it was a random outcome; sometimes the doors would open but the trunk wouldn't, sometimes the other way around; etc.

With our second Air Dream (No. 395), things have been different. Batteries last longer; the fob almost always works; the car responds sooner and from a greater distance.

I had attributed this to improvements in the car's software, but now I'm no longer sure.

Based on what Brownlee said, it appears the fob battery was dying during the several days he drove the car before filming, and he (and Lucid) had the bad luck of its finally biting the dust during filming. But this car was a loaner from Lucid. WHY wouldn't Lucid have given him a fob with a fresh battery? It's now a routine part of Lucid service no matter for what other reasons the car goes in. The same rule ought to apply for putting cars in the hands of prominent reviewers.

The comments section on his video were revealing. One commenter who actually likes Lucid said its fob/entry issues were "legendary". Another commenter acknowledged it was a "known issue" with Lucids. And the comments about the key fob were among the more "replied to" comments, so the issue was getting some attention.

Brownlee has almost 1 million subscribers. At 17 hours since posting this video, it's already had almost 378,000 views. It's such a damned shame it had to start with him reporting a 2-hour delay getting into the car.

Back