Rear view monitoring

Haggy

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT
Referral Code
KLGFJH9Z
I'm having trouble with rear view monitoring staying on. When I move forward, it switches to front view. If I tap rear view while stopped, but in Drive, it changes to rear view but as soon as I move forward even a fraction of an inch, it changes to front view. Specifically, it's happening when I'm pulling into my garage and I need to see if the back is clear of the door area yet. How do I get it to stay on.

Even if you rotate it to 3/4 view rear facing?
Yes. Only the rear view on the top screen gives an undistorted picture that will let me know when I'm past a certain area. If I try any angle on the overhead view, it doesn't show me anything usable for that purpose. If I try it with the garage door closed, which wouldn't help even if it gave a useful view, it makes it look as if I'm much farther from the door than I actually am.

That's not something that I would have expected, especially since the overhead view makes it look like I'm much closer than I really am on the side of the car. For that, I'm now using the side view mirror, not as a mirror but to see how far it is from the wall. The overhead view might be helpful for curbs, but not for my garage.

I just pull forward until I reach what I think is far enough. Put the car in reverse to see if I clear them adjust as needed. The way it's set up makes sense. Forward cam moving forward, reverse cam moving back.

I just pull forward until I reach what I think is far enough. Put the car in reverse to see if I clear them adjust as needed. The way it's set up makes sense. Forward cam moving forward, reverse cam moving back.
It's less awkward if I can see what's behind me. It might make sense to you, but it doesn't make sense to me, and to designers of other cars I've had. If I put the car in drive, and then tap the screen to see what's behind me, it seems reasonable to me that I wanted to see what's behind me while in drive. It will show me what's behind me, but then switch views as soon as I move even though I was in drive the whole time. If it makes sense to you that they should think that I want to see what's in front of me when I explicitly tapped something to see what's behind me, then we have drastically different viewpoints.

It's less awkward if I can see what's behind me. It might make sense to you, but it doesn't make sense to me, and to designers of other cars I've had. If I put the car in drive, and then tap the screen to see what's behind me, it seems reasonable to me that I wanted to see what's behind me while in drive. It will show me what's behind me, but then switch views as soon as I move even though I was in drive the whole time. If it makes sense to you that they should think that I want to see what's in front of me when I explicitly tapped something to see what's behind me, then we have drastically different viewpoints.
It shows you what's behind you when you tap it. It makes sense to me that once you move it switches to show you what's in front because that's what you are about to hit.

Note the front sensor distance when your car at the desired depth within the garage. Use that distance to park in the garage.

It shows you what's behind you when you tap it. It makes sense to me that once you move it switches to show you what's in front because that's what you are about to hit.
But if you already put it in drive, how does it make sense for the car to think that you don't want to do what you tell it to do? I have no problem with it switching to front view if you shift to D and move forward. But if you are already in D and you tap to see the rear camera, it makes no sense for it to think that you want it to do the opposite of what you told it to do. It's not always about what you are about to hit, but what's about to hit you.

But if you already put it in drive, how does it make sense for the car to think that you don't want to do what you tell it to do? I have no problem with it switching to front view if you shift to D and move forward. But if you are already in D and you tap to see the rear camera, it makes no sense for it to think that you want it to do the opposite of what you told it to do. It's not always about what you are about to hit, but what's about to hit you.
Because the liability of, someone accidentally hitting the rear view, then driving forward and saying "oh my camera was clear" not realizing it was the rear view instead of forward facing. I understand what you want to happen, but there are so many stop gaps put in place just for liability reasons.

Because the liability of, someone accidentally hitting the rear view, then driving forward and saying "oh my camera was clear" not realizing it was the rear view instead of forward facing. I understand what you want to happen, but there are so many stop gaps put in place just for liability reasons.

It's easy for anybody to justify just about anything when their car lacks a feature. I remember Tesla owners saying how they wouldn't want lane departure warnings because it would just cause people not to pay attention.

The argument that Lucid would somehow be liable for not showing somebody a front camera view when they didn't ask for it, explicitly asked not to see it, and virtually no other car on the road shows a front camera view of what's in front of the bumper in the first place is absurd. How could you be sitting in the driver's seat and accidentally reach forward and hit rear camera view? There are only two virtual buttons there, the other is for front view, and it's already showing the front view. There's literally nothing else there that a person would want to press. Plus, being able to see the rear view is a feature that other cars offer and nobody is suing their manufacturers for it.

It's easy for anybody to justify just about anything when their car lacks a feature. I remember Tesla owners saying how they wouldn't want lane departure warnings because it would just cause people not to pay attention.

The argument that Lucid would somehow be liable for not showing somebody a front camera view when they didn't ask for it, explicitly asked not to see it, and virtually no other car on the road shows a front camera view of what's in front of the bumper in the first place is absurd. How could you be sitting in the driver's seat and accidentally reach forward and hit rear camera view? There are only two virtual buttons there, the other is for front view, and it's already showing the front view. There's literally nothing else there that a person would want to press. Plus, being able to see the rear view is a feature that other cars offer and nobody is suing their manufacturers for it.
Sorry. I didn't realize you were a legal expert on the ins and outs of the NHTSA.

There's a big difference between not offering something that isn't required and in offering it and then an accident occurs while using it.

Tesla is not required to have ADAS features in their cars. But you better believe they are getting sued left and right for accidents involving it—regardless of whether the driver was using the feature "properly" or not.

Sorry. I didn't realize you were a legal expert on the ins and outs of the NHTSA.

There's a big difference between not offering something that isn't required and in offering it and then an accident occurs while using it.

Tesla is not required to have ADAS features in their cars. But you better believe they are getting sued left and right for accidents involving it—regardless of whether the driver was using the feature "properly" or not.

Giving a person an additional view isn't going to cause accidents. It doesn't stop the person from looking out the window and nobody is suing Tesla for having a rear view camera that can be viewed while parking. Indeed, Tesla goes a step further and leaves the display of the rear camera on for a short amount of time when a person shifts to D while parking, since a person wants to know where the car is at each end.

A alternative solution would be to put a colored strip or painters tape at the distance you want. That will give you something to target on the overhead view.

A alternative solution would be to put a colored strip or painters tape at the distance you want. That will give you something to target on the overhead view.
I've done that, but it won't show up in the overhead view when I'm in the proper position. It shows up fine in the rear view, but only if I'm in reverse.

I asked Lucid, and fortunately, they said that they are aware of the problem and it's on the list of things to fix. Sorry to disappoint those people who like it the way it is, but they will have to refrain from pressing rear view when they don't want rear view.

Back