Rear-view mirror - curb view

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac26mac

Cars
Audi Etron
DE Number
I am well-aware of the billion cameras. But sometimes I like to just rely on my eyes.

In all my prior cars to recent memory, when shifting into reverse, I can set the mirror to lower and show me curb. I've been playing around looking for that setting. I haven't. Does it exist? (For some reason, I can't seem to find my physical manual, so I can't look at the digital one unless I am in the car).

For some reason, I can't seem to find my physical manual, so I can't look at the digital one unless I am in the car
You can also select/see the owner's manual in the phone app when you select the menu selector (upper left - aka hamburger menu).

A bit of an old thread but not seeing any answers to this question. Does anyone know if we are able to have the side view mirrors automatically dip when putting the car in reverse to avoid curb rash?

A bit of an old thread but not seeing any answers to this question. Does anyone know if we are able to have the side view mirrors automatically dip when putting the car in reverse to avoid curb rash?
As of right now, they do not. That's what the 360 view is great at. I prefer the 360 view over the mirror tilt down personally.

As of right now, they do not. That's what the 360 view is great at. I prefer the 360 view over the mirror tilt down personally.
Thanks @hydbob. I figured as much. Unfortunately, I like to use my mirrors as watching the Pilot Panel while backing up makes me nauseous :) Hoping that the tilt feature comes out in a future release as I have to believe it is a relatively simple software update.

Thanks @hydbob. I figured as much. Unfortunately, I like to use my mirrors as watching the Pilot Panel while backing up makes me nauseous :) Hoping that the tilt feature comes out in a future release as I have to believe it is a relatively simple software update.
Could you just set up a Tilt Mirror profile to enable when needed?

It's still annoying to switch profiles, no matter how fast that is. In addition, the HomeLink settings are tied to a profile so that when reversing from a garage, profiles need to be set on both profiles.

Placing the gear selector in reverse should do the mirror positioning like all other cars do. If someone does not like it, then they don't have to program the reverse mirror position. The lowered mirror has a better view (higher resolution) of adjacent curbs than the pilot panel.

I’ve posted about this a few times in other threads. The 360 view is distorted in close to the car, and it’s difficult to judge where the wheels will actually land when backing up, especially near a curb. With the mirror tipped down and looking at the rear wheel, I can place the car perfectly parallel to the curb and consistently within +/- 2” of a target gap. My Volvo spoiled me with that feature.

I’ve posted about this a few times in other threads. The 360 view is distorted in close to the car, and it’s difficult to judge where the wheels will actually land when backing up, especially near a curb. With the mirror tipped down and looking at the rear wheel, I can place the car perfectly parallel to the curb and consistently within +/- 2” of a target gap. My Volvo spoiled me with that feature.
Have you tried the automatic parking?

I have, yes. It works for me maybe 1 out of 4 tries. The problem is that I need to parallel park in front of my house, and it doesn’t always give me the option to do that (the button to pick the parking orientation doesn’t always display). When it works though, it works well. Pro tip: don’t enable the creep or roll modes if you plan to use auto park. It can result in some scary short distances to the obstacles.

Yes, Polestar 2 has that feature on top of their bird-eye view camera. So I’m sure Lucid can add to its future software update.

Happy to see that I am not alone in this, what I thought would be a standard feature, as my son's new $30K Honda Civic has it (not to mention lane centering :eek:). I agree with @OCDC and @EKu that the camera's are lacking the detail necessary (and latency) to put it right to the curb without rubbing. One can only hope that the powers-that-be add this feature. For those fortunate to be running 2.x, any chance it's in there?

In the 7+ years I owned my Model S, I think I used the auto-park feature ONCE! Way too slow to get it done, especially when traffic is waiting.

In the 7+ years I owned my Model S, I think I used the auto-park feature ONCE! Way too slow to get it done, especially when traffic is waiting.
AGT’s Auto-Park to me is scary fast, even though it works well, I always have heart pumping “please no one come in between!”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back