Rear seat heater recall (Solved by OTA)

Balin

Verified Owner
Cars
Grand Touring
BRIEF-Lucid USA To Recall Certain 2022-2023 Lucid Air Vehicles - NHTSA
LUCID RECALLING 1267 VEHICLES AS TEMPERATURE MONITORING FOR REAR SEAT HEATERS COULD BECOME INOPERATIVE AND RESULT IN REAR SEATS OVERHEATING - NHTSA

Do we know which vehicles this pertains to?

BRIEF-Lucid USA To Recall Certain 2022-2023 Lucid Air Vehicles - NHTSA
LUCID RECALLING 1267 VEHICLES AS TEMPERATURE MONITORING FOR REAR SEAT HEATERS COULD BECOME INOPERATIVE AND RESULT IN REAR SEATS OVERHEATING - NHTSA

Do we know which vehicles this pertains to?
If you got it, it's yours!

I believe this has already been fixed via the latest software update.

The problem with auto recalls in the age of software-driven vehicles is that often by the time you get a notice, they've already fixed the problem. They just need to send out the notices because not everyone updates right away.

Of course, there will always still be physical recalls as well. So it pays to read the bit of the recall where it tells you what the remedy is.

I believe this has already been fixed via the latest software update.
Could be. Temperature monitoring presumably involves some sort of physical sensor as well, hopefully it is not that.

Could be. Temperature monitoring presumably involves some sort of physical sensor as well, hopefully it is not that.
On the NHTSA recall notice it states the remedy is just the OTA update, no mention of a sensor. There presumably is a sensor but as it is not mentioned as part of the remedy it is reasonable to assume the issue is caused by software only.

Screenshot_20231026-201228.jpg

Between November 10, 2021 and August 31, 2023...

... and this seems like nice example of how the update summary was woefully insufficient and incomplete, clearly lots more (very useful) information exists. Not simply sharing that info in the first place brings more questions and "bad press/customer relations" than simply being up front and sharing the fully story proactively.

Between November 10, 2021 and August 31, 2023...

... and this seems like nice example of how the update summary was woefully insufficient and incomplete, clearly lots more (very useful) information exists. Not simply sharing that info in the first place brings more questions and "bad press/customer relations" than simply being up front and sharing the fully story proactively.
I am not sure why you say this or what you were expecting Lucid to say in the 2.1.26 notes.

I imagine the NHTSA has pretty strict rules about recall notices. I wouldn't make any assumptions about what they are and aren't allowed to say in software update notes prior to these notices going out.

I am not sure why you say this or what you were expecting Lucid to say in the 2.1.26 notes.
Because just saying "improving operation and control" is a very misleading minimization statement... and such statements always get revealed in the end, even if there is a subset of customers who deny that better communications were possible... it smells of the age old problem that "'it's not the crime, it's the cover-up". Just state the real problem up front... it is the right and respectful thing to do for your customers and your investors, which in turn is the right thing to do for your employees.

I imagine the NHTSA has pretty strict rules about recall notices. I wouldn't make any assumptions about what they are and aren't allowed to say in software update notes prior to these notices going out.
And what would they possibly say?

I can just imagine it.. “We’ve fixed an issue that turned your Santa Cruz seats into Mojave seats, along with improving the general robustness of the rear seat heaters”

Because just saying "improving operation and control" is a very misleading minimization statement... and such statements always get revealed in the end, even if there is a subset of customers who deny that better communications were possible... it smells of the age old problem that "'it's not the crime, it's the cover-up". Just state the real problem up front... it is the right and respectful thing to do for your customers and your investors, which in turn is the right thing to do for your employees.

Queue the scary music.

Seriously. They had a minor issue with seat heat getting too intense because monitoring became temporarily disabled, or whatever. They issued a recall. They fixed the issue in software before the recall even went out.

This is exactly how the system is supposed to work.

Would you have preferred they withheld the software update until the notice could be mailed to every owner?

... Would you have preferred they withheld the software update until the notice could be mailed to every owner?
I'd prefer clear, open, and honest (lies by omission are lies) communications...

I'd prefer clear, open, and honest (lies by omission are lies) communications...
There’s not a single major corporation on earth that doesn’t pass all their communications through a series of lawyers before they are made public. The problem is solved, why not just move on?

Ok. Now you are ascribing motive with zero proof. Up to now you've just been annoying. Now you are violating our guidelines. I suggest you read them again.

This is your only warning.

Here’s a way to feel better about the rear seat heater recall:
Ferrari Suspends Sales Of SF90 Stradale And Spider Over Fire Risk https://carbuzz.com/news/ferrari-suspends-sales-of-sf90-stradale-and-spider-over-fire-risk
I'd like to add something to this: Ferrari first identified this in July and only now they are recalling it. Lucid identified it much later and fixed it with an immediate OTA and the recall was the same time. Who handled it better? Lucid IMO(keeping in mind they are completely different types of issues, of course).

Back