Really frustrated Los Angeles

peacenow0

Verified Owner
Cars
Gold Lucid Air DE
DE Number
Not sure this is the right place for this but instead of asking for answers I'm just wondering if people are as disappointed as I am. We took delivery on New Year's Eve. The car had maybe 7 miles on it. So many basic things don't work. My biggest bitch right now is the GPS. I really, really rely on it. Driving to downtown Los Angeles is always a thing for me and I discovered that the GPS doesn't tell you which direction of the freeway to get on. It just says 101 or 10 -- no north, south, east or west. So of course, I took the wrong direction each time and missed my appointment. Overall, I don't care for the interface with the map. It's on top, and to get it to the larger screen was NOT INTUITIVE. Other issues: the car doors are super lazy responding; the car sensors were set so high that it stopped cold several times in the middle of the street as I tried to turn into driveways (a very hazardous situation, every time); radio works intermittently; profile doesn't hold profile; too many screens to go thru to change temp and get back to other screen (interface/screen changing is a constant bother on just about everything); slow warmup if you can even get the car to open... and several other issues but you get the idea. Our customer service guy seems like he isn't aware of the issues, which I don't believe -- but he is overly fond (required) of documenting complaints and sending meaningless emails of paperwork. He says he's not allowed to talk about problems other customers are having. I expect some bugs, feel that I've been patient -- but I'm feeling kind of insulted. I owned two Tesla S models, the 90 and 100. I know about being patient and letting the software catch up. I don't want to interact constantly with the Lucid guy. I'm bored with the BS. As beautiful as the car is, I've told my husband I don't want the car, he needs to take it and I'll take the Tesla 3 until they fix it. Obviously I'm not a car enthusiast so my tolerance is lower than people who bought this car early. So for that I apologize. But how do you people rationalize the basic nonfunctioning features of this car?

Last edited:
Some of the issues you mentioned have been experienced by other owners. It's hoped that software updates will alleviate at least some of these issues. However many of these issues should not have been there from the get go.

Not sure this is the right place for this but instead of asking for answers I'm just wondering if people are as disappointed as I am. We took delivery on New Year's Eve. The car had maybe 7 miles on it. So many basic things don't work. My biggest bitch right now is the GPS. I really, really rely on it. Driving to downtown Los Angeles is always a thing for me and I discovered that the GPS doesn't tell you which direction of the freeway to get on. It just says 101 or 10 -- no north, south, east or west. So of course, I took the wrong direction each time and missed my appointment. Overall, I don't care for the interface with the map. It's on top, and to get it to the larger screen was NOT INTUITIVE. Other issues: the car doors are super lazy responding; the car sensors were set so high that it stopped cold several times in the middle of the street as I tried to turn into driveways (a very hazardous situation, every time); radio works intermittently; profile doesn't hold profile; too many screens to go thru to change temp and get back to other screen (interface/screen changing is a constant bother on just about everything); slow warmup if you can even get the car to open... and several other issues but you get the idea. Our customer service guy seems like he isn't aware of the issues, which I don't believe -- he says he's not allowed to talk about problems other customers are having. I expect some bugs, feel that I've been patient -- but I'm feeling kind of insulted. I owned two Tesla S models, the 90 and 100. I know about being patient and letting the software catch up. I don't want to interact constantly with the Lucid guy. I'm bored with the BS. As beautiful as the car is, I've told my husband I don't want the car, he needs to take it and I'll take the Tesla 3 until they fix it. Obviously I'm not a car enthusiast so my tolerance is lower than people who bought this car early. So for that I apologize. But how do you people rationalize the basic nonfunctioning features of this car?
1) GPS/maps can be set to 4 different settings, north-up, 2d, 3d, and range. For me personally, on the right driver screen, I keep that map as 3D so that I know exactly which way I'm supposed to be turning since it follows the car. On the pilot panel, I keep 2D so I can see my whole route, although depending on how long my route is, it's not necessarily helpful. To get it on the bottom screen, which I think is dangerous to use while driving, just hit the small tab on the pilot screen. It looks like a pull down menu on the top of the screen, but if you just push that part of the screen, it'll drag down the bigger map interface, otherwise, it will stay on that screen until you push the main car button on the bottom left.

2) The sensor stopping is the "Park comfort braking" feature and really should be off by default. Either way, turn that off and you won't get suddenly stopped when the SUPER CONSERVATIVE sensors think you are about to hit something

3) The temp change, you could always just use the physical switches to change temp instead of going through the screens

4) Intermittent signal is something others have experienced, no idea how to fix that. I've not experienced it though

5) Door issue is well documented. My suggestion is to just use the fob, and push the door handles to open/close door like you would on any other car now. The proximity is unreliable due to interference and the mobile key is having all sorts of problems.

Not sure this is the right place for this but instead of asking for answers I'm just wondering if people are as disappointed as I am. We took delivery on New Year's Eve. The car had maybe 7 miles on it. So many basic things don't work. My biggest bitch right now is the GPS. I really, really rely on it. Driving to downtown Los Angeles is always a thing for me and I discovered that the GPS doesn't tell you which direction of the freeway to get on. It just says 101 or 10 -- no north, south, east or west. So of course, I took the wrong direction each time and missed my appointment. Overall, I don't care for the interface with the map. It's on top, and to get it to the larger screen was NOT INTUITIVE. Other issues: the car doors are super lazy responding; the car sensors were set so high that it stopped cold several times in the middle of the street as I tried to turn into driveways (a very hazardous situation, every time); radio works intermittently; profile doesn't hold profile; too many screens to go thru to change temp and get back to other screen (interface/screen changing is a constant bother on just about everything); slow warmup if you can even get the car to open... and several other issues but you get the idea. Our customer service guy seems like he isn't aware of the issues, which I don't believe -- but he is overly fond (required) of documenting complaints and sending meaningless emails of paperwork. He says he's not allowed to talk about problems other customers are having. I expect some bugs, feel that I've been patient -- but I'm feeling kind of insulted. I owned two Tesla S models, the 90 and 100. I know about being patient and letting the software catch up. I don't want to interact constantly with the Lucid guy. I'm bored with the BS. As beautiful as the car is, I've told my husband I don't want the car, he needs to take it and I'll take the Tesla 3 until they fix it. Obviously I'm not a car enthusiast so my tolerance is lower than people who bought this car early. So for that I apologize. But how do you people rationalize the basic nonfunctioning features of this car?
Welcome to the forum. You will find ample observations and comments on the very items you mentioned and more. Most of us are being patient, but the threads are definitely fraying a bit.

Search around the threads. There are many very useful tips/suggestions from others that might help reduce your frustration -- a bit. Hang in there!

Also, I really hope that Lucid would allow you to take your car out for a drive with a tech in it before driving home. It's one thing to go through the menus in the shop, but to get it on the road and see is a big difference. Everyone's experience is different, and that's an issue in itself. Standardize the process Lucid!

Also, I really hope that Lucid would allow you to take your car out for a drive with a tech in it before driving home. It's one thing to go through the menus in the shop, but to get it on the road and see is a big difference. Everyone's experience is different, and that's an issue in itself. Standardize the process Lucid!
That is a really good suggestion. When I finally go to pick mine up I will ask them to take a drive with me before I take it home. Hopefully they will comply.

To echo hydbob, most who have received their cars on this forum have found the techs and service to be very helpful and willing to go the extra mile. You may want to push for more support on that from than just documentation from your advisor.

The NAV system is just crap. The Ford maps in my Navigator are always out of date but much better than what is in my DE. If Lucid would integrate Android Auto like Ford and GM have done, then I really wouldn't care about the built-in NAV system

Last edited:
I guess that I am not the only one to peel back the Lucid PR whitewash and realize these cars were delivered at least 3 months early, from a software standpoint. I know that others will disagree, but my DE is just not up to being a daily driver yet.

I think Lucid would have been well served to spend less time on Nav and have CarPlay and Android Auto from day one. People would have had familiar interfaces and many apps to use.
I have been using the Air as a daily driver. I don't use the Nav. I use bluetooth for music. I use the mirrors and my eyes for parking. Homelink is going to require that I stop and take 10-30 seconds to open close the door. Big concessions for a luxury car for sure. I love driving the car enough, I reset my expectations in the short term. There has been much improvement from 1.0.4 to 1.1.2.

I think Lucid would have been well served to spend less time on Nav and have CarPlay and Android Auto from day one. People would have had familiar interfaces and many apps to use.
I have been using the Air as a daily driver. I don't use the Nav. I use bluetooth for music. I use the mirrors and my eyes for parking. Homelink is going to require that I stop and take 10-30 seconds to open close the door. Big concessions for a luxury car for sure. I love driving the car enough, I reset my expectations in the short term. There has been much improvement from 1.0.4 to 1.1.2.
Bill, when you use Bluetooth for your music, are you by any chance using Apple Music? If so, have you downloaded their Dolby Atmos music?

Some of the issues you mentioned have been experienced by other owners. It's hoped that software updates will alleviate at least some of these issues. However many of these issues should not have been there from the get go.
I guess that I am not the only one to peel back the Lucid PR whitewash and realize these cars were delivered at least 3 months early, from a software standpoint. I know that others will disagree, but my DE is just not up to being a daily driver yet.
I appreciate your comment that they rolled it out about 3 months early. That's what makes sense -- because it's stuff that can/will be addressed eventually in updates. However, in the meantime, instead of my living perfectly happy for 3 more months with my old vehicle, I purchased a very expensive unnecessarily largely negative experience.

Bill, when you use Bluetooth for your music, are you by any chance using Apple Music? If so, have you downloaded their Dolby Atmos music?
I know there are some serious audiophiles on this site. With bluetooth connection I have been playing mostly files on my phone which are lossless but not Atmos. For those files bluetooth is the weak link. I am curious now, will Atmos files on a bluetooth connection have increased fidelity?

I appreciate your comment that they rolled it out about 3 months early. That's what makes sense -- because it's stuff that can/will be addressed eventually in updates. However, in the meantime, instead of my living perfectly happy for 3 more months with my old vehicle, I purchased a very expensive unnecessarily largely negative experience.
I am not using my DE as a daily driver. Before that will happen I need:

1 - Adaptive cruise control, yes I am spoiled, but I drive a lot on freeways and with a lot of traffic.
2 - Wireless Android Auto or a vastly improved NAV system.
3 - Faster System boot times and quicker UI response
4 - I would like SirusXM but can stream that from my phone, I hope.

Last edited:
To echo hydbob, most who have received their cars on this forum have found the techs and service to be very helpful and willing to go the extra mile. You may want to push for more support on that from than just documentation from your advisor.
Yes, customer support has been responsive. That's why I really wasn't looking for answers to all of these issues, as some of the issues have been addressed -- although addressed doesn't mean fixed. I was more interested in how people felt about the constant inconveniences, as I've found myself exasperated and beyond disheartened when even the GPS was nonsensical in its lack of basic features.

I know there are some serious audiophiles on this site. With bluetooth connection I have been playing mostly files on my phone which are lossless but not Atmos. For those files bluetooth is the weak link. I am curious now, will Atmos files on a bluetooth connection have increased fidelity?
Good question. I wonder if streaming SirusXM from my phone looses fidelity vs a build-in receiver?

I have a friend who is a bit of an audiophile and he is going to join me for part of a cross country trip next month. I'm sure he can come up with some ideas for us to test out. Hopefully before then the Air supports a USB input to the audio system.

While I don't claim to be an audiophile, I can tell you when I heard the Dolby Atmos Apple Music in the Dream via Bluetooth, it was by far the best stereo in a car I've ever heard. And I've heard high end Burmeister in a Bentley but the Lucid did sound better to my ear. So when/if a USB connection is available with Dolby Atmos recorded Apple Music files from my iPhone (or streamed via CarPlay) I can only imagine how good that will sound.

No, the analogy I can think of is listening to a movie on a pair of stereo speakers and then listen to the same movie properly encoded in 5.1 and played back on a 5.1 or greater system, entirely different experience. Dolby Atmos encoded material is new.

Back