RangeXChange trick

Bunnylebowski

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
Air GT Black/Tahoe/19"
I’m quite fortunate that in my state of Rhode Island, the NEVI funding recently led to two Chargpoint 320kw fast charging sites built, that are FREE. That’s right, 8 total plugs (each station can share plugs at half speed if someone else pulls up) of totally free 320kw charging, and unlike the EA “350kw” near me, the Chargepoints do approach their advertised speed at a low SOC%. My wife has a Volvo V60 Polestar Plug in Hybrid, and it charges slooooow on L2. Like 3kW. So realized that rather than charging at home, I could save $, maximize the returns on my solar, and charge the Lucid fast to 90% at the free Chargepoint and then use the RangeXChange cable to charge the wife’s Volvo off the Lucid at home. So now my charging is completely free for both cars, for as far as I can tell, forever. Here’s pics of it in action:

Attachments

• IMG_3498.webp
    IMG_3498.webp
    52.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3499.webp
    IMG_3499.webp
    53.3 KB · Views: 426
Nice! I am sure if you did the math of how much time it takes you to drive to the charger, charge, then charge your Volvo, it is probably best to just pay for electricity at home. :)

But I get it, it’s free and it’s cool! I would do it also. At least a few times.

Nice! I am sure if you did the math of how much time it takes you to drive to the charger, charge, then charge your Volvo, it is probably best to just pay for electricity at home. :)

But I get it, it’s free and it’s cool! I would do it also. At least a few times.
Oh the one charger site is down the street from my work, so it’s super convenient. I work at a hospital and am often on call and have to be able to respond quickly, so if there’s no cases then I’ll go plug in as it’s literally 5 min away. The other site I work at has free Chargepoint L2 chargers so I can just use those as well. It is most convenient to charge at home but the free charging I have access to is almost as convenient as charging at home.

I’ve done the same with my Rivian + Lucid a few times to “test”. But seeing as using the free EA charger near me is a PITA, haven’t done it in awhile.

Oh the one charger site is down the street from my work, so it’s super convenient. I work at a hospital and am often on call and have to be able to respond quickly, so if there’s no cases then I’ll go plug in as it’s literally 5 min away. The other site I work at has free Chargepoint L2 chargers so I can just use those as well. It is most convenient to charge at home but the free charging I have access to is almost as convenient as charging at home.
I'm envious.
The only free chargers at our hospital are level 1 in an uncovered area. They are used mostly by Tesla 3.

Back