Bobby

Referral code: 82LNN7ZP
Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
AGT, I Pace, DB9
Referral Code
82LNN7ZP
We’ve discussed EPA versus actual range extensively with regard to the Lucid. Some have assertdd here that the BMW and MB claimed ranges are much more honest. Here’s a fun video by Carwow that is fun to watch with a Model 3 LR, an EQS, an iX, and a Mach E:

Spoiler: here’s the results. Draw your own conclusions.

F552BCE3-BE34-41B4-8042-BCD0AF577041.png

Really all comes down to how the test is conducted

1675272466817.png

One thing is clear, no matter what your driving habits and style are, weather conditions, tire pressures, etc, each driver will go further in a Lucid than they will in any other vehicle by a significant amount.

I think a key takeaway here is that estimates do change throughout the course of a drive. The Tesla looked like it may go almost as far as the Merc, but then it dropped quickly once it got colder and ended up finishing third. Other cars would likely do similar in various conditions.

This is important to realize when people drive a short distance, take a look at their mi/kWh over that short distance, and then extrapolate the full range they “would” get if they drove it to empty. It’s just not accurate to make those assumptions.

The only real way to know how far you can actually get is to actually drive it from 100 down to 0. And you should never do that, of course. And even then, you’d get a different number on a different day, etc.

Obsessing over exactly how much range a car gets is a bit of folly, then.

One thing is clear, no matter what your driving habits and style are, weather conditions, tire pressures, etc, each driver will go further in a Lucid than they will in any other vehicle by a significant amount.
I am not finding this to be true for my car. It is faster but my normal daily driving exhibits low range for the size of the battery pack.

I am not finding this to be true for my car. It is faster but my normal daily driving exhibits low range for the size of the battery pack.
Yes, I guess that can be true for the Air. It's so heavy that as a daily driver around town with lots of stop and go it can really be a drain especially in cold weather.

The first 5 months of mine was mostly road trips and it was amazing. The last 4 months between cold weather and mostly town only driving I'm getting half as much. But, being local and far fewer miles it's really not an issue.

Back