Range Loss since new

Bill B

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Just curios to hear how everyone's battery's are doing after some time of ownership.
I charged my battery to full for the first time in 15,000 miles and it went to 469 so it would seem I have had no range loss?
I normally use a 15 amp circuit and get 4 miles added range per hour and I always have it plugged in when I'm home.
How about everyone else?

It displays EPA. Personally I don’t think it should, but it does.

Really so its showing something that is not true?
Well, it is theoretically true. If you drive like the EPA cycle, you could potentially get that. I don’t find it to be very real-world true, though. I wish it would base the number recent driving history.

Best thing to do is switch away from that display and put it on percent remaining instead. That way you can multiply to find your true remaining charge: percent remaining x your average efficiency x battery size. For a GT: 30% x 3.1 m/kWh x 112 kWh = 104 miles remaining

Well, it is theoretically true. If you drive like the EPA cycle, you could potentially get that. I don’t find it to be very real-world true, though. I wish it would base the number recent driving history.

Best thing to do is switch away from that display and put it on percent remaining instead. That way you can multiply to find your true remaining charge: percent remaining x your average efficiency x battery size. For a GT: 30% x 3.1 m/kWh x 112 kWh = 104 miles remaining
I agree I wish it would adjust with your currant driving conditions.
Like my Porsche Cayenne with some fun driving I can get 14 MPG or with some easy going light steady driving I can get 24 MPG and the range adjusts accordingly .
I would think this tried and true programming that they could apply to EV's easily.

Like my Porsche Cayenne with some fun driving I can get 14 MPG or with some easy going light steady driving I can get 24 MPG and the range adjusts accordingly .
I would think this tried and true programming that they could apply to EV's easily.
Agree, this is a wishlist item. If you’d like to view the entire wishlist, you may do so here: www.lucidupdates.com. If you have something you’d like to add, please direct message me.

It’s not quite easy, given how many factors affect range in an EV. The car has no way of calculating elevation changes you might experience, for instance. Or which way the wind is blowing. Especially if you are not navigating to a specific destination.

They could definitely make an estimate that is better than just showing the EPA. But it will never be fully accurate. You are way better off using percentage.

It’s not quite easy, given how many factors affect range in an EV. The car has no way of calculating elevation changes you might experience, for instance. Or which way the wind is blowing. Especially if you are not navigating to a specific destination.

They could definitely make an estimate that is better than just showing the EPA. But it will never be fully accurate. You are way better off using percentage.
I feel if I'm averaging 2.8 KW per mile it should adjust the range accordingly. The way its set up it would say I have a range of 4.2 KW per mile left as stated on the window sticker.
Just like in a car if your averaging 15 miles per hour and have 10 gallons left you have 150 miles of range not 200 because the window sticker says you should get 20 MPG

I feel if I'm averaging 2.8 KW per mile it should adjust the range accordingly. The way its set up it would say I have a range of 4.2 KW per mile left as stated on the window sticker.
Just like in a car if your averaging 15 miles per hour and have 10 gallons left you have 150 miles of range not 200 because the window sticker says you should get 20 MPG
Yeah that would be an improvement. But if you then start driving up a mountain in strong wind, and you still expect that 150 miles, you’re in for a surprise.

If you instead keep an eye on your percentage the whole time, you’re going to realize a lot faster that you aren’t going to make it as far as you thought.

Yeah that would be an improvement. But if you then start driving up a mountain in strong wind, and you still expect that 150 miles, you’re in for a surprise.

If you instead keep an eye on your percentage the whole time, you’re going to realize a lot faster that you aren’t going to make it as far as you thought.
If your driving up a mountain it would adjust accordingly. Like it does in a gas car.

If your driving up a mountain it would adjust accordingly. Like it does in a gas car.
How would the car know you were about to go up a mountain if you didn’t have navigation engaged? How would it know how hard the wind will be blowing in ten minutes? Let alone right now? There’s no anemometer in the car, as far as I know.

Sure the car can notice after a few miles that your efficiency has gone down and adjust its estimate. But it will always be a lagging indicator. Percentage is real-time accurate.

My point is, the miles will never be right. You can make them more accurate, but you can’t make them accurate.

As someone who lives among the mountains, I can tell you most mapping software is abysmal at taking elevation changes into account.

I agree with you. It will never be 100% accurate, but it would be better. Here’s the thing: it doesn’t do that. We can wish for that, for sure, but the percent calculation is what we need to do for now.

Its not mapping software I'm thinking of its the real world moment average
When I drive from Denver To Vail my range starts at 500 in my Cayenne and drops as you climb the mountain and the average is based off of 12 MPG
In the Lucid If you would begin with 469 as you climb the mountain and your range would drop.
If your averaging 2.0 KW per mile your range would drop to 2.0 KWH real world 112 KWH battery 21" rims = 224 Miles of range full battery

4.1875 KWH EPA 112 KW battery 21" rims = 469 miles of range full battery
I wish it would do this. I just calculate it on my own and figure it out.
I've driven from AZ to California to Wisconsin
Wisconsin to North Carolina and down the Orlando and back to Wisconsin.
Lots of big trips in the Lucid I absolutely love it.
I cant wait for the full self driving and for the software to improve :)

Back