Question for FL owners. Heat from glass canopy?

Dr Chill

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Touring
I own a Taycan 4S and am expecting a Lucid Air Touring later this year. Despite great glass coating, the Taycan's glass roof still transmits additional heat in the FL sun. Do any Lucid owners feel the same and wish they had the aluminum roof instead?

No issues so far and have driven it in temps in the high 90s and low 100s. I am getting the side and rear windows tinted bc the sun coming in through the glass with no coating can get a bit warm, but I don't feel or even notice the sun when it's overhead. Still have AZ summer coming up, so another 20 degrees higher to test, but so far, so good.

But do you feel any heat transmitted on you when driving in the sun or from sunlight coming in above the visors?

Last edited:
But do you feel any heat transmitted on you when driving in the sun or from sumlight coming in above the visors?
No.. not at all.

I live in Naples and have been driving the car for almost four months. No heat transmission issues at all through the canopy. Even sun glare is not the problem I anticipated. I have sat in the car while parked outside a doctor's office for almost an hour on a sunny day, and the A/C had no trouble keeping the cabin cool. (Also, the car has a setting that will keep the cabin at the set temperature for up to 45 minutes while parked.) I had reservations about the glass canopy before getting the car, but now I wouldn't even consider the metal roof. The car has a relatively high belt line, and the glass canopy really opens up the cabin visually. I'd be concerned the metal roof might make it feel a bit cave-like.

I live in Naples and have been driving the car for almost four months. No heat transmission issues at all through the canopy. Even sun glare is not the problem I anticipated. I have sat in the car while parked outside a doctor's office for almost an hour on a sunny day, and the A/C had no trouble keeping the cabin cool. (Also, the car has a setting that will keep the cabin at the set temperature for up to 45 minutes while parked.) I had reservations about the glass canopy before getting the car, but now I wouldn't even consider the metal roof. The car has a relatively high belt line, and the glass canopy really opens up the cabin visually. I'd be concerned the metal roof might make it feel a bit cave-like.
People have mention an annoying reflection of the dash stitching on the windshield. Makes me wonder if the glass roof exacerbates this...

People have mention an annoying reflection of the dash stitching on the windshield. Makes me wonder if the glass roof exacerbates this...
There is a reflection, but you really only notice it for a second before it is forgotten. If you focus on it, it will annoy you.

The glass roof does a great job of blocking the IR transmission. The glass does get very hot to the touch and yes I can feel heat somewhat on the top of my head. Still no problem staying for the AC to keep the interior cool. Its only been in the high 90's so far here in Phoenix but I am very happy with the glass roof and would not change. Ask again on a 115 degree day.

Doubt it, because it's completely contained in the windshield area even with a metal roof it'll still be there

Wondering if they forgot a coating on my DE as the heat and glare is bad enough that I've been wearing a ball cap! It was especially bad on a road trip from NC to GA the other day -- the roof was extremely hot to the touch and the heat was transferring to me and the passengers and AC wasn't keeping up. I'm going to have some clear heat-rejection tinting like LLumar Air 80 applied and will report back.

The only less-than-total-satisfaction about the AC is the location of the vents. They are inset too deep to direct the air flow up toward my face. At best, the highest I can direct is mid chest. So, my upper torso (including my head) cannot get any direct cooling. So, I need to cool the entire interior to achieve my head comfort -- many sweaters for my wife. :-(

Wondering if they forgot a coating on my DE as the heat and glare is bad enough that I've been wearing a ball cap! It was especially bad on a road trip from NC to GA the other day -- the roof was extremely hot to the touch and the heat was transferring to me and the passengers and AC wasn't keeping up. I'm going to have some clear heat-rejection tinting like LLumar Air 80 applied and will report back.

Please do. In greater Phoenix, in the summer, we can see temps in t he teens (110+). I have been leaning away from the glass canopy for that reason.

I am actually considerably concerned about this considering how hot my Mercedes gets when my covers are off on the glass roof (EQS).

Back