Question for California Buyers

The Nuck

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Are you getting the front license plate holder installed? Law says you have to have a front plate. I have gotten a fix-it ticket once to have mine put on an older car. I sure see a lot of cars with out a front plate. Any thoughts?

Are you getting the front license plate holder installed? Law says you have to have a front plate. I have gotten a fix-it ticket once to have mine put on an older car. I sure see a lot of cars with out a front plate. Any thoughts?
Nope. They do have a decal front plate available that is legal in California.
https://licenseplatewrap.com/

I don’t have my front plate license plate on, will get the decal wrap as back up.

If you avoid parking your car in San Francisco (a good idea anyway), you'll probably be fine without a front plate. Some have mentioned that portions of Los Angeles are also sticklers for that front plate. I used licenseplatewrap.com on my Model 3; worked great. Be sure to stick it on in the position the physical plate would occupy to avoid blocking radar etc sensors. I had no front plate on a Maser for ten years without problem, but definitely never ventured into SF with it.

It took a few months to get my license plate wrap, so I was running around without a front plate for that time in NorCal without issue. At least where I live it seems like a lot of cars don't have front plates. I do love my license plate wrap however, the black legacy 60s plate sticker looks great on a black car, check out this thread for pics of this combo

I got the License Plate Wrap. I didn't want the front bracket or holes in the bumper, but I also didn't want to risk getting a ticket, as I'm guessing the Lucid would be a target for the cops. I know you live near me @The Nuck, so I'd be happy to show you the plate wrap if you're interested.

That being said, it's still unlikely that you'd get a ticket without the plate given the number of Teslas and premium autos without one...

Last edited:
I live in the LA area and a friend of my wife got a Tesla M3 earlier this year and she didn’t have a front license plate. She was actually ticketed for not having a front plate and had to pay a hefty fine. So, I’ve been contemplating if I’m gonna get the front license plate holder. I’ll have to check out the license plat wrap some others are talking about.

Yeah I also got the license plate wrap. Definitely better than having holes drilled and the front holder mounted. I ran without a front plate on multiple cars for years and only had one ticket given in a Santa Barbara parking lot. However then it was just a "fix-it" ticket that you could avoid paying, but that's no longer the case and the fine is not insignificant. Just easier to use the wrap.

I wrote to a company in California that makes a removable front bracket to make one for my Lucid GT. Go to Amazon "Sho and Sto" A bracket with no front holes.
Richard Carlson

I wrote to a company in California that makes a removable front bracket to make one for my Lucid GT. Go to Amazon "Sho and Sto" A bracket with no front holes.
Richard Carlson
I've been in contact with them and am trying to get my car to them for the measurements. Their guy that does the fitment was out last week, so hopefully I can get the car to them when he gets back. I've used this company before for my other cars. One mount worked really well, secured to the car with existing hardware. The other was ok and secured by 3m tape because there wasn't a good mounting option with all the sensors. I guess I'll just had to wait and see.

This was my Model 3 prior to my Air GT showing the license plate wrap. I'll order the licensplatewrap.com for my Air once my plates arrive.
LPWrap1.jpg

LPWrap2.jpg

Back