Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Dream P
DE Number
Referral Code
R0YBCKIJ
Just a PSA as winter quickly approaches

Tire Pressures need to be done when it's cold in the morning.

21" & 20" - 42PSI, 45 PSI is being recommended to avoid bulges
19" - 49 PSI, I do mine to 52

21" and 20" tires are both summer tire compounds. These tires are not meant to be driven/stored in temps below 45 degrees. Be careful as performance is reduced as well as glassification of the rubber in low temps!

Carry on and be safe!

21" and 20" tires are both summer tire compounds. These tires are not meant to be driven/stored in temps below 45 degrees. Be careful as performance is reduced as well as glassification of the rubber in low temps!

Carry on and be safe!
Bob, do you find 52 on the 19s impacts ride quality at all? I’ve always kept mine at 49.

It gives more time between topping off if I forget to keep me above 49?

I asked Peter Rawlinson why the 19" wheels have a higher pressure than the 20" or 21" wheels since for most cars it is the other way around with lower profile tires having higher pressure than higher profile tires. Peter told me that the 19" wheels ride better at 45 PSI but they could not achieve the 500 mile range without increasing the pressure to 49 PSI. If pressure above 49 PSI further increased range, Lucid probably would have specified that. Hence, I don't see a reason to increase the 19" over 49 PSI because you are likely degrading the ride without improving range.

I asked about running higher pressure in the 21" wheels, similar comment on range and ride. Lucid specified 42PSI to improve the ride on 21" wheels. Peter agrees that running higher pressure 45-46 PSI will lower the risk of sidewall bubbles but it will also degrade the ride. I run with 45-46 PSI in my 21" wheels and have not really noticed a difference in ride and I am willing to sacrifice a bit of ride to lower the risk for sidewall bubbles.

I asked Peter Rawlinson why the 19" wheels have a higher pressure than the 20" or 21" wheels since for most cars it is the other way around with lower profile tires having higher pressure than higher profile tires. Peter told me that the 19" wheels ride better at 45 PSI but they could not achieve the 500 mile range without increasing the pressure to 49 PSI. If pressure above 49 PSI further increased range, Lucid probably would have specified that. Hence, I don't see a reason to increase the 19" over 49 PSI because you are likely degrading the ride without improving range.

I asked about running higher pressure in the 21" wheels, similar comment on range and ride. Lucid specified 42PSI to improve the ride on 21" wheels. Peter agrees that running higher pressure 45-46 PSI will lower the risk of sidewall bubbles but it will also degrade the ride. I run with 45-46 PSI in my 21" wheels and have not really noticed a difference in ride and I am willing to sacrifice a bit of ride to lower the risk for sidewall bubbles.
I've been doing it wrong all the time!

is there a recommended tire pressure for 21" if you're storing it in the garage or it doesn't matter since it's not being used?

Carry on and be safe!
Thanks for da reminder ! Btw any word on Michelin making an all weather tire for the 21 inch rims ? Juno 🐻‍❄️ crossing her paws on the future Michelins !

Thanks for da reminder ! Btw any word on Michelin making an all weather tire for the 21 inch rims ? Juno 🐻‍❄️ crossing her paws on the future Michelins !
On the Gravity show car (the one that was labeled a Grand Touring - the green one) the front tires were Michelin 21s. The backs were 22s. Obviously, those are different widths than the Air, but it does show that Lucid is at least working with Michelin on more tires for their EVs. Hopefully that means they are developing all-season 21s for the Air.

I'd love to see snow tires from Michelin for the 19s as well.

Carry on and be safe!
Well this hits home....you should have just tagged me, haha!

Thanks for the reminder, checked the pressure on my 21's while driving (not cold tire pressure) and saw that they were 41/42. Will up them to 45 tomorrow once the tires are cold.

Thanks. I had a warning pop this afternoon to let me know that one tire was down to 42.

Peter told me that the 19" wheels ride better at 45 PSI
I recently thought the ride quality had improved, then found that with the cold weather I had let the tires get down to 45 psi. I pumped back up to 49 psi and voila, I could feel every bump again! Good to know I can safely run them at 45 psi, it's not often I need the extra range.

I recently thought the ride quality had improved, then found that with the cold weather I had let the tires get down to 45 psi. I pumped back up to 49 psi and voila, I could feel every bump again! Good to know I can safely run them at 45 psi, it's not often I need the extra range.
There is also the opportunity for less bubble risk with higher pressures. On the other hand, lower pressures mean better handling. To me, it’s probably a matter of preference and safety.

Reactions: raj
There is also the opportunity for less bubble risk with higher pressures. On the other hand, lower pressures mean better handling. To me, it’s probably a matter of preference and safety.
The bubble risk is on the 21" wheels, not so much on the 19" wheels.

Back