Predicted remaining battery at end of navigation

pbloomst

Cars
Air Grand Touring
New owner here. It would be helpful to see how much battery is anticipated to remain at the end of a navigation. Is this already available but I'm not finding it?

It's available but very unreliable (at least pre 2.0). Not sure if 2.0 improves upon it.

New owner here. It would be helpful to see how much battery is anticipated to remain at the end of a navigation. Is this already available but I'm not finding it?
It is entirely dependent on your route. The nav assumes essentially no elevation change and speed limit driving. On the nav screen, it's available on the pilot panel if you click on the 2nd tab, I think. It's from memory.

It’s under manage trip when you pull navigation down on the pilot panel. You have to tap the zig/zag line next to the magnifying glass icon, then instead of displaying route, click the “manage trip” tab. It will show the estimated SOC% on arrival. It’s been very accurate for me usually within 1-2%.

The estimate is based on the fixed assumption that your drive will achieve the EPA estimate for efficiency. But many factors will cause potential deviations from that estimate. Unfortunately, the software doesn't adjust in real time. Therefore, the longer your drive, the more you will likely deviate. If your trip is 20 miles, the estimate will probably be pretty accurate. If your trip is 400 miles, then not so much. This matters if you're relying on the nav to plan your next charge during a longer road trip.

I’ve found it to be unreliable but it was a bug that I reported. My understanding is the % at destination is based off your current average consumption and should go up or down along the route depending on speed, elevation, wind etc. it’s a guesstimate using an average of the last 5 or 10 miles of driving etc.

What I discovered is along the route it wouldn’t update the SoC based on your average consumption at the time. When I left home it said I would arrive with 20% and remained that way for the majority of the trip. It wasn’t until I was about 30 miles out from my destination that the navigation screen flickered like it reset itself and all of a sudden the SoC went from 20% to 2%. The same thing also happened on the trip back and almost ended up stranded.

It was a number of versions ago and I reported it to Lucid. Not sure if it’s fixed though as I haven’t done a road trip since.

What would be REALLY cool is if Lucid could use the elevation data from the mapping system and tap into a weather source to determine a very accurate SoC giving you plenty of advance notice before it’s too late. Headwinds are not an EV’s friend and will significantly reduce range. If the car can get that info in real time and continue to monitor it along the route that would be very impressive.

I’ve hit headwinds in my previous EV and you don’t find out until you hit it. At that point. You just watch your % go down extremely fast and given the scarcity of chargers in some areas could leave people stranded.

The last road trip I took was about a month ago. If I recall correctly, the bug wasn't fixed yet. I believe the nav used a very simple formula to estimate remaining range - %SOC x EPA range. For example, if I had 80% SOC at the beginning of my nav, then the program would assume that I have 80% x 469 miles = 375 miles of range to play with. It would then recommend a charge anywhere between 10-25% SOC. If I was lucky and it recommended the next charging station to be at when my car was supposed to hit 20-25% SOC, then I was reasonably safe driving 5-10 over the speed limit the entire way and still making it although I'd get there with 5-10% charge left instead of the supposed 20-25%. If the charging station was scheduled to arrive at closer to 10% SOC, then I'd never make it.

Real time or at least frequent periodic updates based on actual remaining SOC at any given time would solve this problem.

Back