Potential Owner

Pacernow

Cars
Tesla Model Y Long Range
All,
Potential owner from East Texas. Currently own a 21 Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD. Purchased used in 2/22 with 6K on the odometer. Will turn 107000 miles early next week. I do contract work for my former employer. I will 3-5 days a week and drive between 225-250 miles per day. I charge to 80% and recharge at the 15-20% SOC. Depending on the usual factors that can affect an EV I am getting between 165-170 miles of range. I am interested in Lucid because of their range that has been reported in the print and video media. The State of Charge YouTube Channel has recently had two videos on range and speed of charging. Both videos were impressive. Thank you for giving me an opportunity to join this forum.

All,
Potential owner from East Texas. Currently own a 21 Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD. Purchased used in 2/22 with 6K on the odometer. Will turn 107000 miles early next week. I do contract work for my former employer. I will 3-5 days a week and drive between 225-250 miles per day.
Welcome! That would be a pretty easy, no-charge 80% to 20% commute in a used GT in most weather conditions, as long as you keep your speed around 70mph, or a little faster in summer.

Hey! It's great that you're considering a Lucid. With your daily mileage, it’s worth thinking about how the range will work in practice. Maybe try taking it for a weekend drive to see how it.. handles your routes? And don’t forget to check where the nearest chargin g stations are—that could save you a lot of stress. Let me know what you think;)!

Obitres,
Great suggestion! Between Dallas and East Texas on !-20 there is a Bus-es with a Tesla Supercharger that has 36 chargers and then at exit 552 there is a Collin Street Bakery with a Tesla Supercharger that has 8 chargers. In this same area there are no CCS chargers. GM Energy is putting in a charger at a Pilot at exit 562. It appears there are only two chargers at that location. Finding a CCS charger in this area could be a challenge. Thank you for your comment.

...Finding a CCS charger in this area could be a challenge.
That's the tradeoff for the next couple years: you'll be driving a much better car, but have to think more carefully about charging.

Obitres,
Great suggestion! Between Dallas and East Texas on !-20 there is a Bus-es with a Tesla Supercharger that has 36 chargers and then at exit 552 there is a Collin Street Bakery with a Tesla Supercharger that has 8 chargers. In this same area there are no CCS chargers. GM Energy is putting in a charger at a Pilot at exit 562. It appears there are only two chargers at that location. Finding a CCS charger in this area could be a challenge. Thank you for your comment.
Not on I-20, but there are a few on I-30:

Jefferson Park Shopping Center
602 S. Jefferson Ave., Mt. Pleasant, Texas, 75455, US
https://www.plugshare.com/location/169410

Walmart Supercenter
494 I-30, Royse City, Texas, 75189, US
https://www.plugshare.com/location/186839

And one in Ennis:
Walmart Supercenter Ennis
700 E Ennis Avenue , Ennis, Texas, 75119, US
https://www.plugshare.com/location/186813

That’s just EA though. There is a 160kW Shell / Red E charger on I-20:
Shell Longview
3302 S Eastman Rd, Longview, TX 75602
https://www.plugshare.com/location/515179

There’s a Chargepoint and an EVGo near I-30 by Dallas too.

Welcome aboard, you're in the right place.

DCFC options aside, can you charge at home each night? It sounds like you won't need to charge on the way there or back, which means you could defer the charging until you're home. Also, I would argue that based on what you observe, you might find it handy to charge beyond 80% if you know it's going to be a tough range day. You can use the scheduled charging feature in the car to defer the charging until a specific start time....that way you're charging to, say, 90% and letting it sit there for many hours prior to launch. You could time it right so that the scheduled charge wraps up at 90% right around the time you're waking up, minimizing the time that the car spends above 80% on those days.

A '22 or '23 lightly used GT could be the best bang for the buck they've already taken the big depreciation hit, unless you specifically want to purchase new.

Best of luck, keep the questions coming and let us know what you end up doing! The car is a beast and loves to be driven. I've had mine for around 5-6 weeks and have put 4000 miles on it. I look for excuses to drive it. We recently went to see John Mulany perform in Connecticut (I'm in Jersey), it was a little over 3 hours each way for a 1 hour show. No problem and the car was a pleasure. The massaging seats are legit for longer trips. The power is also objectively ridiculous. I don't do launches any more, the novelty wears off after a week or so, but having gobs of power for freeway overtakes has genuine utility on a daily basis.

Coma24,
Thank you for the comments and suggestions. The idea of a 22 or 23 GT sounds interesting. Our last 5 vehicles have been used vehicles including the 21 MY that I am driving. The electricity company in East Texas has a program so that I can charge from 7PM to 1AM for free.

Welcome! Hope you get your Lucid soon. Will likely not be quite as convenient to DCFC as your Tesla at the moment, but IMO it's going to be light years better in terms of everything else.

Professor Y,
Thank you for your comments. Doing my due diligence on the Lucid. How do you like your Plaid? When I was researching about buying a Tesla my favorite was the X, but purchase the Y because economics.

Professor Y,
Thank you for your comments. Doing my due diligence on the Lucid. How do you like your Plaid? When I was researching about buying a Tesla my favorite was the X, but purchase the Y because economics.
The Model X Plaid is easier for kiddos to get in and out of the rear seat. Other than it, it has nothing on the Air as a vehicle and really not in the same realm. My biggest worry with getting my first Lucid was the stability, speed, and responsiveness of the in-car infotainment and the mobile app because Tesla does those so well. But I haven't had a single issue in those two categories after 2+ weeks of ownership...both the app and in-car infotainment have been stable and very responsive to commands. The app and infotainment are not as well-featured as Teslas right now, but I don't generally use those other features anyways (gaming in the car, watching Netflix, obsessing about sentry mode and dashcam footage, are all examples of things I don't care personally about).

Professor Y,
Thank you for your review of the Plaid and your GTP. This information is very helpful.

Back