Please make "follow the road" and "now join the highway" stop!

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
Frequent navigation prompts to "follow the road" and "now join the highway" can become annoying on long road trips. "Follow the road" is the least-useful navigation prompt I've ever experienced, especially when not following the road would mean driving off a cliff or through someone's front yard. IMO both prompts could be completely eliminated without losing any nav utility.

100% agree! I always found these commands completely useless and comical.

Frequent navigation prompts to "follow the road" and "now join the highway" can become annoying on long road trips. "Follow the road" is the least-useful navigation prompt I've ever experienced, especially when not following the road would mean driving off a cliff or through someone's front yard. IMO both prompts could be completely eliminated without losing any nav utility.
Those commands were designed to mimic your wife's/gf's comments.
I always do. And that's why I'm still happily married.

Those commands were designed to mimic your wife's/gf's comments.
The lack of a "you should have turned back there" voice prompt is an odd omission.

So true. The "railroad crossing ahead" even when not using navigation maybe useful to some people but I wish I could turn it off....

So true. The "railroad crossing ahead" even when not using navigation maybe useful to some people but I wish I could turn it off....
Are you using Waze? Last time I was in my Dad’s car, it was warning about railroad crossings every five minutes. Which was technically true in the area of Philly we were driving around, but It became a running joke.

Are you using Waze? Last time I was in my Dad’s car, it was warning about railroad crossings every five minutes. Which was technically true in the area of Philly we were driving around, but It became a running joke.
Nope. Not even using actively using navigation, just the native Lucid "nag-igation", reminding me of the three RR crossings that I pass on the way to work🙃

I hate it when it says "You don't NEED another pee stop!" Oh, wait. Never mind. That's my wife.

This morning over coffee I'm reveling my master plan (hatched 3 AM last night) to see the Total Eclipse:

"You see hon, I have plotted all the chargers from Philly to Lake Ontario... in 100 mile legs..."

"You can't hold it that long... you need half-hour legs."

“Recalculating”

Provides no useful information. Neither Google nor Apple Maps say that, for good reason.

“Recalculating”

Provides no useful information. Neither Google nor Apple Maps say that, for good reason.
I actually find that one useful. It lets me know that I missed the turn and my ETA may change, rather than me not knowing I missed the turn.

I actually find that one useful. It lets me know that I missed the turn and my ETA may change, rather than me not knowing I missed the turn.
Fair, but:
  1. Considering the apparently large variance of the ETA even when no turn is missed, is the new ETA meaningfully different?
  2. How often would you not notice that you missed the turn?
All rhetorical questions of course, but I'm still siding with Google/Apple on this one.

Considering the apparently large variance of the ETA even when no turn is missed, is the new ETA meaningfully different?
Sometimes. Depends on where you're traveling. Sometimes the next exit isn't for 20 miles, and it's better to turn the around sooner rather than later.

How often would you not notice that you missed the turn?
I have ADHD, so literally once or twice a day sometimes lol

Back