Pirelli 21" Tires

Swafford3

Have a Lucid Grand Touring almost two years old. Left rear tire totally blew out at 1,700 miles, right rear tire apparently had a nail in it very soon after and was losing air. Today I am told that my two front tires will both need to be replaced due to tread wear. I only have 6,000 miles on the car and have been told that there is absolutely no warranty on these tires. I had to pay Lucid $500 each for replacement of the two rear tires and am interested to see if there are other tire brands I can purchase. I do not want to continue to have Pirellis replaced if there are other options.

I have absolutely no idea what the difference is.

Assuming these are actually pictures of the tires, the outside tread blocks of the LM1 and LM2 appear to be different. The siping of the inside blocks look identical.

The first picture is the LM1 from the Tire Mart website. The second picture is the LM2 from the Tire Rack website.

Screenshot 2024-07-23 at 9.25.34 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-07-23 at 9.21.59 AM.png

Assuming these are actually pictures of the tires, the outside tread blocks of the LM1 and LM2 appear to be different. The siping of the inside blocks look identical.

The first picture is the LM1 from the Tire Mart website. The second picture is the LM2 from the Tire Rack website.

View attachment 22074View attachment 22073
Am I the only one feels like those would just be stock photos? Given the relative recency of the tires, it would make sense.

Or perhaps the tire is a factor in the Pure getting 5.0 mi/kwh?

Am I the only one feels like those would just be stock photos? Given the relative recency of the tires, it would make sense.

Or perhaps the tire is a factor in the Pure getting 5.0 mi/kwh?

I just checked. The Tire Rack photo of the LM2 has the same tread pattern of the LM1s on our car. So either the tread pattern has not changed, or Tire Rack is using a photo of the LM1 to show the LM2.

You can get a cert from Discount Tire / America's Tire that basically acts as insurance should they get damaged again. You don't have to buy the tires from them, just take in your new tires and get them inspected.

I don't think there is another 21" option with the correct load rating yet.

6000 miles is pretty crazy (low). That's not normal. I swapped mine out for A/S 19s after about 7k miles and they're practically new. Some here have been on the same Pirelli 21s for ~18k miles I believe.
I have 22K miles on my 21” Pirellis with at least 5/32 tread depth remaining.

I decided to put new Pirellis on our car before leaving for a road trip next week. Tire Rack had the front 21" LM2s in stock and both the rear LM1s and LM2s. I ordered LM2s all around.

I asked them about the difference. They weren't sure but said updates of continuing tire series are almost always about reducing noise and/or tread wear and almost never about changing handling or braking.

I just called Tire Choice to make an appointment to have the new tires mounted on the Lucid. This is the shop I've used for years and that has mounted new tires on our Air before.

Today they told me that they don't have the equipment to lift the Lucid. When I told them they had before, they told me they were under new management and would not risk lifting the Lucid without some special pucks that are supposedly required. I asked if they could change tires on our Tesla Model S (which has also had tires changed at the same shop). They said they could because they had the pucks on hand for a Tesla, but those pucks would not work on a Lucid.

Has anyone else heard of such a thing?

I just called Tire Choice to make an appointment to have the new tires mounted on the Lucid. This is the shop I've used for years and that has mounted new tires on our Air before.

Today they told me that they don't have the equipment to lift the Lucid. When I told them they had before, they told me they were under new management and would not risk lifting the Lucid without some special pucks that are supposedly required. I asked if they could change tires on our Tesla Model S (which has also had tires changed at the same shop). They said they could because they had the pucks on hand for a Tesla, but those pucks would not work on a Lucid.

The underside of the Air is flat. I thought anything similar to a hockey puck would work to spread the load over the floor jack's cradle? Anyone know what does a Tesla specific one looks like?

Have a Lucid Grand Touring almost two years old. Left rear tire totally blew out at 1,700 miles, right rear tire apparently had a nail in it very soon after and was losing air. Today I am told that my two front tires will both need to be replaced due to tread wear. I only have 6,000 miles on the car and have been told that there is absolutely no warranty on these tires. I had to pay Lucid $500 each for replacement of the two rear tires and am interested to see if there are other tire brands I can purchase. I do not want to continue to have Pirellis replaced if there are other options.
I work for provider of auto finance and insurance products. A road hazard tire and wheel policy will cover that and any pot hole and any road hazard damage ( nails etc. ) inexpensive and worth it.

I called Discount Tire in Scottsdale and was told the same thing.

Anyone know what does a Tesla specific one looks like?

The Tesla puck has a stud that fits into a hole on the Tesla's underside, which is why it won't work on other cars.

I called Lucid Customer Service about this, and they told me that any puck would fit, including a Tesla one. That was obviously incorrect. Customer Service also said they "had heard" a regular hockey puck would work. I searched this forum and found that @Bill55 has, indeed, used hockey pucks to lift his Sapphire, so I'm going with that.

Tire Choice has agreed, but they are going to require me to sign a liability waiver.

This is the main reason I didn't buy the small spare tire kit that some here bought. I was cautioned early on by service techs that using a jack on a single point to lift the car to change one tire could do significant damage to the car.

This is the main reason I didn't buy the small spare tire kit that some here bought. I was cautioned early on by service techs that using a jack on a single point to lift the car to change one tire could do significant damage to the car.
It's funny because I was told pretty much the opposite by a Lucid tech. They told me that, because of the rigidity of the chassis, you could lift from the lift point opposite the flat. I've also seen them use a jack to lift on one side to swap out wheels in the field, so I know it's not against company policy.

I would go with Tirerack.com as they typically come with a warranty (and I used it which is VERY convenient without issues through your TireRack profile).
On my 2024 BMW X7, I have Continental (Perf. Summer) and they also lasted only 8k. I still would not go with M+S because they are crap in the winter and crap in the summer.
Always Performance Summer and/or Performance Winter!

The Tesla puck has a stud that fits into a hole on the Tesla's underside, which is why it won't work on other cars.

I called Lucid Customer Service about this, and they told me that any puck would fit, including a Tesla one. That was obviously incorrect. Customer Service also said they "had heard" a regular hockey puck would work. I searched this forum and found that @Bill55 has, indeed, used hockey pucks to lift his Sapphire, so I'm going with that.

Tire Choice has agreed, but they are going to require me to sign a liability waiver.
Any flat hard rubber puck will work. Like a standard hockey puck.

The red puck is urethane and made especially for Audi lift points. It has the lip to fit into a notch in the Audi lift point. The black is a standard hockey puck. Have used the black puck on my Air three times. Works perfectly. The need for pucks is based on the old fashioned cupped steel ends on floor jacks. In the old days, lower shock mounts or ball joints would nestle in the jacks cupped end. The cupped metal ends on these older floor jacks will damage a flat bottom car, or a car which uses a specific lift point that is flat, like Lucid, or notched like Audi. The jack shown is a modern jack with it's own rubber inset. I use a puck on top of the rubber jack insert.

Attachments

• IMG_0293.jpeg
    IMG_0293.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0295.jpeg
    IMG_0295.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 30
Back