Pirelli 21" Tires

Swafford3

Have a Lucid Grand Touring almost two years old. Left rear tire totally blew out at 1,700 miles, right rear tire apparently had a nail in it very soon after and was losing air. Today I am told that my two front tires will both need to be replaced due to tread wear. I only have 6,000 miles on the car and have been told that there is absolutely no warranty on these tires. I had to pay Lucid $500 each for replacement of the two rear tires and am interested to see if there are other tire brands I can purchase. I do not want to continue to have Pirellis replaced if there are other options.

You can get a cert from Discount Tire / America's Tire that basically acts as insurance should they get damaged again. You don't have to buy the tires from them, just take in your new tires and get them inspected.

I don't think there is another 21" option with the correct load rating yet.

6000 miles is pretty crazy (low). That's not normal. I swapped mine out for A/S 19s after about 7k miles and they're practically new. Some here have been on the same Pirelli 21s for ~18k miles I believe.

You can get a cert from Discount Tire / America's Tire that basically acts as insurance should they get damaged again. You don't have to buy the tires from them, just take in your new tires and get them inspected.

I don't think there is another 21" option with the correct load rating yet.

6000 miles is pretty crazy (low). That's not normal. I swapped mine out for A/S 19s after about 7k miles and they're practically new. Some here have been on the same Pirelli 21s for ~18k miles I believe.
Hi
Can you be a bit more specific re the “cert” obtaining procedure ? Just got the 21” LGT. Yes, they look great but we got a warning to avoid potholed, as rim and tire might be severley damaged. Well, Ca roads basically are in poor shape. So, might be inevitable and we want to be proact. TU

Have a Lucid Grand Touring almost two years old. Left rear tire totally blew out at 1,700 miles, right rear tire apparently had a nail in it very soon after and was losing air. Today I am told that my two front tires will both need to be replaced due to tread wear. I only have 6,000 miles on the car and have been told that there is absolutely no warranty on these tires. I had to pay Lucid $500 each for replacement of the two rear tires and am interested to see if there are other tire brands I can purchase. I do not want to continue to have Pirellis replaced if there are other options.
Is it a used car? 6K miles and needing replaced is wild. I made it 28k on mine. Also, Pirelli had a warranty you can work. We just did it for a tire bulge within 3 months of purchase. They cover replacement and mounting in certain circumstances. A nail? Probably not covered. Tread wear? Maybe covered.

How much tread left on the front?

The front and back are not linked by a center diff so there’s no reason you can’t keep using the fronts as long as there is a safe amount of tread.

Hi
Can you be a bit more specific re the “cert” obtaining procedure ? Just got the 21” LGT. Yes, they look great but we got a warning to avoid potholed, as rim and tire might be severley damaged. Well, Ca roads basically are in poor shape. So, might be inevitable and we want to be proact. TU

It's not clear on this page that you can get their certs on tires without purchasing through them, but you can. Just set up an appointment and take your car in. Cost will vary, but I think something like 50/tire one time will cover you for the tread life of the tire.

It's not clear on this page that you can get their certs on tires without purchasing through them, but you can. Just set up an appointment and take your car in. Cost will vary, but I think something like 50/tire one time will cover you for the tread life of the tire.
Just confirming that this is accurate. You can show up without an appointment too, but there might be a wait.

I couldn’t find any 21 in Pirellis locally in Los Angeles. I finally did opt for Michelins from Costco- EV rated and come w their own hazard warranty

Today I am told that my two front tires will both need to be replaced due to tread wear. I only have 6,000 miles on the car and have been told that there is absolutely no warranty on these tires.

Somebody might be smoking you. For starters, Pirelli tires have pretty much the standard industry warranty:

Also, did you check the tread height above the wear bars yourself? It's unusual for front tires to wear out before rear tires unless there is an alignment problem.

I have a Dream Edition Performance that I love to launch hard at every opportunity. The Pirelli 21" tires have 14,000 miles on them and still have sufficient tread above the wear bars, with front and rear tires showing about the same amount of tread wear. We're leaving in two weeks for a 5-day road trip. When I first planned this trip, I was thinking I would probably replace the tires beforehand. But just yesterday I decided they've simply got too much tread left to do so right now.

I've used Michelin, Goodyear, Continental, and Hankook tires on my performance cars. The Lucid is the first car on which I've ever used Pirellis, and I have found them quite good in both handling and wear.

Which Michelin tires did you get for the 21"??
This one:

1721573931972.png

An XL load index tire can cope with a load capacity of up to 750kg/1650lbs (load index 98) and a HL load index tire a load capacity of up to 825kg/1820lbs (load index 101).

That means that the Michelins will support 680 lbs *less* weight than the Pirellis.

Given the high weight of the car, I would be careful how many people and how much luggage you load into the car on the Michelins.

Love to read the posts of the tire substituters who post here, because they know so much more than car designers and tire experts who came up with the Lucid-exclusive tires. Love reading how / why a six figure car should have not-recommended tires.

Tire load rating index​

Note: You should never replace your tires with a lesser speed and load rating than the original equipment tires.

Thanks to everyone bashing the 21" Pirellis ! Please keep it up ! They really suck and aren't worth a damn on resell.
(I am looking to buy another set in the Philly area. Pirellis are soft and sticky...that's why I like them)

Love to read the posts of the tire substituters who post here, because they know so much more than car designers and tire experts who came up with the Lucid-exclusive tires. Love reading how / why a six figure car should have not-recommended tires.

Tire load rating index​

Note: You should never replace your tires with a lesser speed and load rating than the original equipment tires.

Thanks to everyone bashing the 21" Pirellis ! Please keep it up ! They really suck and aren't worth a damn on resell.
(I am looking to buy another set in the Philly area. Pirellis are soft and sticky...that's why I like them)
Its absolutely not to suggest the Michellin's are better; just available. I would have preferred to get the Pirellis had America's Tire, Lucid dealership and Pirelli factory produced a readily available tire. All three said several months wait.

Love to read the posts of the tire substituters who post here, because they know so much more than car designers and tire experts who came up with the Lucid-exclusive tires. Love reading how / why a six figure car should have not-recommended tires . . . .

Soft and sticky . . . that's one of the things that perplexes me about the Pirellis. They have great handling response and traction in wet and dry, yet they are showing surprisingly good tread wear on a car of the weight and power of our Air Dream Performance with my addiction to jack rabbit starts.

I never got more than 11,000 miles out of the much wider tires on my Audi R8 V10s -- cars with less power, torque, and weight than the Air. We're at 14,000 miles and still going on the most recent set of Pirellis on the Air.

Hey all... First post here after purchasing a used '22 GT a few days ago.

I took the car as-is (of course) and grew a little concerned that there was nothing left of the center thread shallow cuts that I was able to see in online pics. Turns out that's OK; Pirelli has the thread-wear indicators, my purchase had only 11K miles, and there's still a 1/3 of an inch or so before the indicators are going to be flush.

But... Curious about what it was going to cost, I visited the Pirelli site today. Ugh.

It turns out they have the rear 21" tires down as "Discontinued - current inventory only".

I'm not entirely sure what we'll need do when we need a new set and PIrelli isn't making them anymore.

Hey all... First post here after purchasing a used '22 GT a few days ago.

I took the car as-is (of course) and grew a little concerned that there was nothing left of the center thread shallow cuts that I was able to see in online pics. Turns out that's OK; Pirelli has the thread-wear indicators, my purchase had only 11K miles, and there's still a 1/3 of an inch or so before the indicators are going to be flush.

But... Curious about what it was going to cost, I visited the Pirelli site today. Ugh.

It turns out they have the rear 21" tires down as "Discontinued - current inventory only".

I'm not entirely sure what we'll need do when we need a new set and PIrelli isn't making them anymore.
They’re not discontinued. LM1 no longer exists and LM2 is backordered. It’s just a new version.

Back