Phantom braking

I get angina whenever I see the words Phantom Braking, so this does not make me happy. It's good that it's not happening at highway speeds. But I sure would like to see Lucid address this, and fast.
The title is a misnomer since it happens for an actual reason and not just because. I have had it happen on numerous big dips, of which there seem to be a lot around here. If you inch out, you won't scrape.

I love this feature but hate it’s implementation, as they need very very much to give an option for warning but not intervention. I have to turn it off otherwise I cannot back out of my driveway without a violent brake slam, as my house is on a busy two way street, and I’ve had cars stop to let me out of the driveway but the Lucid STILL wouldn’t let me back out of my driveway so I had to go into the pilot panel and turn off the feature while people are honking and my wife is yelling at me.

So you can mark this day as when a Lucid Fanboy complained about the car haha.
I have a slightly different problem. My house is the first one facing a street. To one side of me is another house facing a perpendicular street with a stop sign at my street. But the block wall of the house blocks my view of the perpendicular street. So as I back out, there is a risk of a car making the turn and barreling down my street so I have to back out very slowly and carefully. In my 20128 BMW 530e, I have had alerts for both cars crossing and pedestrians walking.

So once it is clear I need to be able to back out.

This is my experience too. At a low enough speed, it makes me aware it’s not proud of me, but doesn’t slam on the brakes to let me know, haha.

My partner is one of those passengers who doesn't say much when I'm driving but is constantly sucking in his breath if he thinks I don't see something, am not braking soon enough, etc. It can get quite noisy in the car sometimes.

My father did this when I was a teenage driver, and untold numbers of passengers have done it ever since. What's wrong with these people?

My partner is one of those passengers who doesn't say much when I'm driving but is constantly sucking in his breath if he thinks I don't see something, am not braking soon enough, etc. It can get quite noisy in the car sometimes.

My father did this when I was a teenage driver, and untold numbers of passengers have done it ever since. What's wrong with these people?
If your partner and father and untold number of passengers did this, could it be your driving?

Today for the first time I had the car apply the brakes to a dead stop while I was driving. I was trying to exit a retail parking lot, which had a dip for drainage where the driveway entered the road. I was going maybe 10 mph, there was no cross traffic on the road, and the car panic-stopped me from exiting.

I think it interpreted the dip in the pavement as a solid wall I was going to hit. This seemed similar to the problem I have seen a couple of times backing out our driveway where there is a similar dip. if I pause in front of that dip, even though the car is in reverse, it sometimes starts driving forward instead. It seems to be afraid of driving over these dips in the pavement, interpreting them as collision hazards.

I'm not happy about this, but don't want to turn off collision avoidance (if that's even possible).

-Mark
Hello, @maractwin.

I reached out to you via DM for additional information regarding this experience and others you may have had. Thank you.

Marqie

Back