Permanent button for Homelink

For opening, I don’t find tapping a couple times to be a major issue lol, but I set up an automation, also through Home Assistant, that uses the Lucid Home Assistant integration I built (and is open source), that opens the door whenever my car approaches and Home Assistant sees it as “home”.

I've got an OpenGarage installed (from a time before I got into building my own ESP8266/32 sensors and relays) and integrated with HA. @borski can you share your car detection/garage door opening automation?

I already have your awesome Lucid integration installed, but currently all I've done with it is make a dashboard to access the basic controls and specs. Nice to be able to access car functionality from our wall mounted tablets.

I've got an OpenGarage installed (from a time before I got into building my own ESP8266/32 sensors and relays) and integrated with HA. @borski can you share your car detection/garage door opening automation?

I already have your awesome Lucid integration installed, but currently all I've done with it is make a dashboard to access the basic controls and specs. Nice to be able to access car functionality from our wall mounted tablets.
Post in thread 'Home Assistant Automations'
https://lucidowners.com/threads/home-assistant-automations.7897/post-186197

Thanks, but that link doesn't work?

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

I've tried a bunch of searches ("Home Assistant Automations", "yaml", etc.) but haven't found that post. Sorry to be a pain...

Thanks, but that link doesn't work?

I've tried a bunch of searches ("Home Assistant Automations", "yaml", etc.) but haven't found that post. Sorry to be a pain...
From @borski

I’ll kick it off - part of the reason I don’t care about anyone’s homelink woes anymore is because I no longer have to wait for Lucid to give me geolocated garage opening and closing.

I installed an Infinity Shield, after seeing people like it on this forum. It’s a completely offline tool that just replaces your single beam sensor with a multi-beam array, meaning any obstruction breaks the beam, not just the single line at the bottom. This is optional but made me more comfortable shutting the door automatically.

I used to use MyQ to control the door, but after they turned off API access because they’re proper asshats, I installed ratgdo for $45 in about five minutes instead. It’s infinitely better. Orders of magnitude better, seriously.

Because it’s local and there’s no cloud service, I not only get access to control the door in what feels like actual real-time with no wait, but I also get to see the obstruction and motion sensor status, in what seems like real time.

As a result, here are my automations (all of which I set up in the UI, without touching a single line of code). If you’ve got HA set up, I am happy to help build the automation for you, if the UI is confusing.

To automatically close the garage door six minutes after I leave (or whenever it’s left open for any reason):
YAML:
alias: Auto close garage door
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - binary_sensor.ratgdov2_1b599b_1b599b_obstruction
    for:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 6
      seconds: 0
    to: "off"
    entity_id:
      - binary_sensor.ratgdov2_1b599b_1b599b_motion
    to: "off"
    for:
    entity_id:
      - cover.ratgdov2_1b599b_1b599b_door
    to: open
    for:
condition:
  - condition: and
    conditions:
      - condition: state
        entity_id: cover.ratgdov2_1b599b_1b599b_door
        state: open
        for:
        entity_id: binary_sensor.ratgdov2_1b599b_1b599b_motion
        state: "off"
        for:
        entity_id: binary_sensor.ratgdov2_1b599b_1b599b_obstruction
        state: "off"
        for:
action:
  - device_id: 5bd3f28166bb4dffa429afdf09830d32
    domain: cover
    entity_id: d73cba0eb4d59525ea7a76e1e1dabfea
    type: close
mode: single

And to open the garage as I get home (which works literally flawlessly, 100% of the time being open by the time I drive up):

YAML:
alias: Auto open garage door (Borski)
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: zone
    entity_id: device_tracker.lulu
    zone: zone.home
    event: enter
condition:
    state: closed
action:
  - service: cover.open_cover
    metadata: {}
    data: {}
    target:
mode: single

From @borski

I’ll kick it off - part of the reason I don’t care about anyone’s homelink woes anymore is because I no longer have to wait for Lucid to give me geolocated garage opening and closing.

Perfect! Thank you @hydbob!

It's that second automation that I'm interested in. Looks easy to adapt to my set up.

I think I'll just buy a remote control and be done with it.
This. Just as easy to push a button on a remote clipped to the visor as it is to push a button on the dash.

Pete

But pressing a button is so much work ;)

I've already got the automation working. It's really nice to just drive up and have the garage open automatically. Home link still pops up, but I just ignore it.

Automatic close was a bit trickier because I don't want to close the door on my wife, but I handled that by working existing motion sensors into the automation logic.

But pressing a button is so much work ;)

I've already got the automation working. It's really nice to just drive up and have the garage open automatically. Home link still pops up, but I just ignore it.

Automatic close was a bit trickier because I don't want to close the door on my wife, but I handled that by working existing motion sensors into the automation logic.

So glad it's helpful!

Back