Passenger seat airbag

Paladin732

Cars
Taycan
DE Number
Hey all -

I’ve not posted here in quite some time, as I lemoned my Lucid a little while ago.

However, a Lucid Discord group I’m in made me aware of an issue with Rivian vehicles. The issue is that depending on the weight and how a passenger sits in their seat, their airbag may turn off.

This was the issue that pushed me over the edge to lemon my Lucid, as I could produce for myself pretty consistently, and did not feel safe with it constantly turning off.

I don’t know of anyone else having this problem consistently with the Lucid Air. However, given this Rivian discussion, I’m wondering if there are more facing this on Lucid and just not noticing or speaking up. This is not to start a flame war, it’s more of a “hmm, maybe I’m not alone!” Type of thread.

(This is much more obvious in the Rivian, as it blocks passenger temperature controls ,based on these links, there as well as disabling airbag)

Here are a few links where the Rivian version of this issue is discussed.

Example Reddit thread:

Just as a sidenote: the mods are only aware of @Paladin732 having this issue and have never heard of any other owner with it - but curious to see if anyone else pipes up!

Look at the passenger airbag warning light by the rear view mirror. The light is on whenever the passenger airbag is off.
So if someone is sitting in the passenger seat, that light should not be active.

My airbag light would randomly go on and off. Lucid replaced the passenger seat.

Just as a sidenote: the mods are only aware of @Paladin732 having this issue and have never heard of any other owner with it - but curious to see if anyone else pipes up!
This is correct. I asked in the Discord before I put in this ticket. I'm more just curious if anyone else has it. I do recall there were one or two others in the Discord that were able to get a spouse to reproduce, but not consistently. For me it just goes on and off on a near constant basis in any Lucid Air. (I'm qualifying with Air, as I've not sat in a Gravity)
My airbag light would randomly go on and off. Lucid replaced the passenger seat.
Did that fix it? They denied the replacement, that was the first thing they were going to try, then engineering denied the request. (That was when I tried the car in the showroom and @SaratogaLefty's car)

This is correct. I asked in the Discord before I put in this ticket. I'm more just curious if anyone else has it. I do recall there were one or two others in the Discord that were able to get a spouse to reproduce, but not consistently. For me it just goes on and off on a near constant basis in any Lucid Air. (I'm qualifying with Air, as I've not sat in a Gravity)

Did that fix it? They denied the replacement, that was the first thing they were going to try, then engineering denied the request. (That was when I tried the car in the showroom and @SaratogaLefty's car)
It's only been a week but so far, so good.

Likely not the same issue; that sounds like a faulty sensor. @Paladin732’s issue was reproducible, by him and the way he sat.

Likely not the same issue; that sounds like a faulty sensor. @Paladin732’s issue was reproducible, by him and the way he sat.
And most importantly, in any Air.

Since purchasing our care the passenger airbag off light is always on for my wife (110 lbs). If I sit in the passenger seat the light turns off. I gave my wife an 8 lbs dumbbell to hold and the light turned off. I had a mobile service tech check it out today and he said he’d bring the info back to the shop foreman.

Since purchasing our care the passenger airbag off light is always on for my wife (110 lbs). If I sit in the passenger seat the light turns off. I gave my wife an 8 lbs dumbbell to hold and the light turned off. I had a mobile service tech check it out today and he said he’d bring the info back to the shop foreman.
How tall is she?

(They will come back and tell you it is as designed btw)

5’3”

Obviously, it's really bad that it's not active. But isn't holding an 8 lb. weight really dangerous if an accident happens? That thing will go flying somewhere and could do a lot of damage to her, you or the car.

Obviously, it's really bad that it's not active. But isn't holding an 8 lb. weight really dangerous if an accident happens? That thing will go flying somewhere and could do a lot of damage to her, you or the car.
I assume that was only as a test.

😂, yes, this was just a test.

😂, yes, this was just a test.
Of course. I was imagining you driving around with the barbell in the seat all the time to keep the airbag working. I must have been sleepier than I thought last night. or at least my brain had gone to bed even if I hadn't yet.

A test would make sense. I ran the same test when I had the problem.
(For reference, I'm 5 6)

My girlfriend has this problem. She is about 5'3" and weighs about 95-100 lbs. Seems if she sits towards the edges of the seat then the car doesn't realize she is in the seat. She has to be perfectly in the middle. I guess it is an issue but I always thought it was just because of how small she is and that it would happen with other cars.

My girlfriend has this problem. She is about 5'3" and weighs about 95-100 lbs. Seems if she sits towards the edges of the seat then the car doesn't realize she is in the seat. She has to be perfectly in the middle. I guess it is an issue but I always thought it was just because of how small she is and that it would happen with other cars.
Try other cars. This issue only happens for me in the Lucid. I have tried a whole bunch of other brands. I'm currently in a BMW I7 that I replaced my lemoned Lucid with, and it has not happened a single time in that vehicle.

Back