Paint chip

BuddhaDada13

Cars
Lucid AGT Black/Mojave
Unfortunately one of my fears happened. As I was opening the driver side rear passenger door, I swung a tad bit too hard and the tip of the door hit the car next to me in the Costco parking lot. The force was not tremendous but the design of the doors, especially the relatively sharp tapering tip is a set up for paint chip. I looked and there it was, the paint at the tip had chipped. It’s small, about 3mm overall. It’s not really noticeable but the OCD in me went crazy. I ordered Dr Colorchip (they already have gold and infinite black listed for the Air) and it’s now here. I just got back from vacation, but will post before and after pictures of the repair.

Unfortunately one of my fears happened. As I was opening the driver side rear passenger door, I swung a tad bit too hard and the tip of the door hit the car next to me in the Costco parking lot. The force was not tremendous but the design of the doors, especially the relatively sharp tapering tip is a set up for paint chip. I looked and there it was, the paint at the tip had chipped. It’s small, about 3mm overall. It’s not really noticeable but the OCD in me went crazy. I ordered Dr Colorchip (they already have gold and infinite black listed for the Air) and it’s now here. I just got back from vacation, but will post before and after pictures of the repair.
Sorry to hear that happened to you. Very interested to see how the repairs go.

They don’t have zenith red? I have a couple of small chips

Wrap the door edges!

It'll be a little tricky to get paint to stay on the convex tip using Dr ColorChip's instructions. May have to do it the old-fashioned way by carefully filling in the chip and letting it dry. Only your OCD will know.

I watched a detail guy use a hypodermic needle to fill a chip once. Couldn’t tell it was ever there when he was done. Hit your local pharmacy for one.

I watched a detail guy use a hypodermic needle to fill a chip once. Couldn’t tell it was ever there when he was done. Hit your local pharmacy for one.
OCDetailing did this for me when they needed to fill a chip under a bit of PPF.

I’ve seen people use a toothpick for this.

How big is this chip? Any pics?!?!

Empire Auto Spa in Orlando has posted videos of the work they’ve done on a couple of Lucids. I recently had them apply windshield protection film, paint protection film, and a slight window tint. They did a very nice job, only a week old, but I am hoping to avoid the issues mentioned above. My previous car was wrapped, a ding presented itself, several hours later the wrap had magically healed itself. My AGT is white, I had them paint the brake calipers blue to add a tiny pop of color, looks pretty cool. The downside, quite $$, I believe total bill was $6-7K. Best of luck, feel free to reach out with ?s.

So I finally fixed the chip with Dr Colorchip. Unfortunately because of the location of the chip, the correction paint does not blend and just wipes off. So I had to apply it without the sealant. Not perfect but acceptable. Photo on left is pre and on right is post

Attachments

• A62CFCE5-1EC9-4AD9-892A-1F39F0ECF751.jpeg
    A62CFCE5-1EC9-4AD9-892A-1F39F0ECF751.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 198
  • 632E8393-E718-4A7B-8A70-AEA382E044F9.jpeg
    632E8393-E718-4A7B-8A70-AEA382E044F9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 210
So I finally fixed the chip with Dr Colorchip. Unfortunately because of the location of the chip, the correction paint does not blend and just wipes off. So I had to apply it without the sealant. Not perfect but acceptable. Photo on left is pre and on right is post
If you ask really really nicely, service can give you a bit of touch up paint (no promises)

Also if you get PPF, you can inject the touch up paint under the PPF with a hypodermic needle. OCDetailing made a video of them doing that to my car which also had a tiny chip in basically the same spot (a corner)

My car is Quantum Grey, and Dr. ColorChip doesn't have that paint color yet. Does anyone know where the paint code is located on the Air?

Empire Auto Spa in Orlando has posted videos of the work they’ve done on a couple of Lucids. I recently had them apply windshield protection film, paint protection film, and a slight window tint. They did a very nice job, only a week old, but I am hoping to avoid the issues mentioned above. My previous car was wrapped, a ding presented itself, several hours later the wrap had magically healed itself. My AGT is white, I had them paint the brake calipers blue to add a tiny pop of color, looks pretty cool. The downside, quite $$, I believe total bill was $6-7K. Best of luck, feel free to reach out with ?s.
Wow... You Lucid owners don't mind lay down some serious $.

Dang. U guys really go all out to take care of your #Airs. I feel bad after reading all these replies. I’ve abused my #Air & feel like a “bad owner” as well as a “bad driver”. 😱🙏🏻

Still no touch up paint available... Customer service referred me to a local certified body shop to repair the chip. The body shop didn't want to give me the paint since it was water based and they said that touch up paint should be solvent based so it will fill the chip better. They instead are going to custom make some solvent paint and fill it for me.

Back