"Out of Spec Dave" at the New York Auto Show

I’m sure Lucid has a good reason that we are not aware about….changing the name due to the recent trademark issue?

This keeps coming up as a possible reason. Maybe. But Lucid execs are still doing the interview circuit to discuss the "Gravity" at length and not taking those occasions to hedge a bit on whether this will be the permanent name. And they're still calling it "Gravity" on their website. In short, they're still marketing the vehicle consistently as the "Gravity" in marketing materials and media appearances. So I don't know why they would draw the line at putting the vehicle in an Auto Show under the "Gravity" moniker. There is no legal reason to draw a line at such a point. If continuing to market it as the "Gravity" would pose any legal risk, that risk would arise no matter what the venue or medium in which it was being marketed.

This keeps coming up as a possible reason. Maybe. But Lucid execs are still doing the interview circuit to discuss the "Gravity" at length and not taking those occasions to hedge a bit on whether this will be the permanent name. And they're still calling it "Gravity" on their website. In short, they're still marketing the vehicle consistently as the "Gravity" in marketing materials and media appearances. So I don't know why they would draw the line at putting the vehicle in an Auto Show under the "Gravity" moniker. There is no legal reason to draw a line at such a point. If continuing to market it as the "Gravity" would pose any legal risk, that risk would arise no matter what the venue or medium in which it was being marketed.
I know this is totally crazy, but... it might have also just been a mistake and missed opportunity lol.

giphy.gif

I know this is totally crazy, but... it might have also just been a mistake and missed opportunity lol.

I'm not sure that's a totally crazy idea. But, if so, that would be a pretty hair-raising blunder.

One other notion did occur to me. I know some antiques dealers who used to do the big shows at the Park Avenue Armory. The behind-the-scene expenses and hassles they ran into, especially dealing with very constricting union rules, gave them nightmares. (For instance, if a dealer wanted to move an item in his display during the show, he had to call a union mover. One dealer who transgressed the rule by moving a chair himself later had some of his items mysteriously damaged when the show was being dismantled.) I wonder if Lucid might have run into some hitch in getting the Gravity into the show, although I can't really think what unique issue getting the Gravity there along with other vehicles would have posed.

Last edited:
Back