Ordering parts on Amazon, 100-hour weeks, and broken glass: Lucid insiders detail the EV startup's fight to ramp up production

Speaking of cantrails like the article mentioned, the back window “Cantrail” on the car I took delivery of today is not flush on the left side, it’s peeling up a bit. The car exterior was also filthy, apparently something happened between Goose Island and my local delivery truck, looked like someone drove by a muddy water puddle and splashed it, but there was sticky gunk on the rear left passenger door too. My DA was very apologetic, it was literally the first thing she said, and she had already contacted customer service to arrange free professional detailing for me, and they’re gonna have the mobile service unit come and assess and hopefully fix the rear window cantrail. It seems the DA/customer service end is having to run interference and be janitors for the production/pre-delivery-inspection/delivery end. But I love this damn car (the drive and ride is unbelievable, the interior is stunning) so much I’ll accept these things as part of the challenges of trying to create and deliver something this crazy sophisticated and complex from scratch. I very much hope these little early-days hiccups don’t hurt them long term, they’re trying and I hope they get the issues sorted out because the concept and execution of the car itself is phenomenal.

My take away. Parts from Amazon doesn't necessarily mean it's bad unless it's from a pop up Chinese company with a name like youAutowow of which there are so many on Amazon. Second we don't really know the sources. Could be nothing but made to look like something by short sellers. I see stuff like that all the time. The reverse is also true. Someone keeps putting up YouTube videos about Apple buying lucid. Modern journalism is all but non existent in afraid. Our phones and browsers are inundated with article headers that goes something like "do this now or you'll die soon"

My take away. Parts from Amazon doesn't necessarily mean it's bad unless it's from a pop up Chinese company with a name like youAutowow of which there are so many on Amazon. Second we don't really know the sources. Could be nothing but made to look like something by short sellers. I see stuff like that all the time. The reverse is also true. Someone keeps putting up YouTube videos about Apple buying lucid. Modern journalism is all but non existent in afraid. Our phones and browsers are inundated with article headers that goes something like "do this now or you'll die soon"
Yeah the YouTube daily Lucid clickbait lies is shameful. Ignore it all, the car is awesome and I hope all the dumb crap online doesn’t undermine Lucid’s chances to be a major automotive player, because they’re ahead of the curve already on so many things and they’re barely out of the gate.

I think that the article is balanced and not at all "internet sensationism”. Lucid has issues, as most startups do, and its fair that prospective buyers know what the risks are. I picked up my DE on New Year’s Eve and no one from Lucid told me how bad the software was, and they should have been more forthcoming. I have had very few hardware problems and the service group at Lucid is first rate. The software group however seems way behind the hardware, like a year behind to be polite, incompetent to be less polite. I hope that Lucid does well and that the software gets much better soon but they have a window of opportunity to ship good cars with good software in quantity and that window will close at some point in the next 12-24 months, I believe.

Last edited:
According to this article , Lucid deployed "corporate workers to help on the factory floor. "
Claiming no experience/knowledge in the automobile manufacturing industry, I find that statement interesting. To me, this implies cross-training is not that big of a deal. Have no idea if that's true or not.
If it's not true, I would wonder about the percentage of truth vs. exaggeration vs. confabulation contained in this report.

Back