Optimal Power Output for Lucid Connected Home Charging Station?

Cuestix

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
2024 Lucid Air Touring
Referral Code
PHFKP51Q
I've scanned the forums for this question, but didn't find it.

My Lucid CHCS is wired up for the full 80A draw and it's nice that I can charge to 80% from 20% in around 3 hours. My question is whether I really want to charge that quickly or whether it's better for the car and possibly more efficient to charge at a slower rate. I've noticed that the onboard cooling runs hard when I'm charging at 18kW on the Lucid EVSE, but barely runs when charging at a lower rate at a slow public charger. Sort of a two-part question...is it better for the battery life to slow the charge rate to 40A or 60A instead of 80A using the dip switches, and is it more energy efficient because the charging overhead is reduced? Doubling my charge time to 6 hours wouldn't be much of a problem 99% of the times I need to charge and I'm only a few minutes from a DCFC if I really need a quick boost.

Is it technically better to charge slower? Probably. Is it better enough to warrant a second thought? Probably not. Even if you fast charge at 300+ kW twice a day, your battery warranty guarantees at least 70% capacity retention after 8 years. Knowing warranties, that's very conservative and short of an actual failure, we should see much less capacity loss than that. 10+ year old / 200,000+ mile Teslas have seen less than 10% capacity loss. Don't sweat it, just drive it. :)

There is no effective difference between charging at 30A and 80A in terms of the a life of the battery. (For the pedants out there, I don’t mind there’s no difference at all; just that it is so minor it may as well not exist)

DC fast charging is a different story.

Back