Only 469 miles with 20” on AGT

steveairgt

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
83YOVHQD
Hi
I have a Grand Touring with 20” wheels. Until now I’ve always charged (at home) to about 70-80%.

Today I charged for the first time to 100%. After the charging completed it shows only 469 miles?

Shouldn’t I expect to see something like 490-500 miles?

Here is a screenshot.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 79235B22-AE3D-42CF-9B7C-A65E9F4CEC4B.png
    79235B22-AE3D-42CF-9B7C-A65E9F4CEC4B.png
    615.3 KB · Views: 54
469 miles is correct for GT on 20" wheels. It's the summer max-performance tires. If you want longer range, you'll need to switch to low rolling resistance all-season tires.

Interesting. One of the reasons I chose 20” over 21” is the increased range. Plus I like the look better.

Would the 21” range have been even lower?

Interesting. One of the reasons I chose 20” over 21” is the increased range. Plus I like the look better.

Same EPA range for 20" and 21" wheels. 20" are less likely to suffer damage on potholes.

Same EPA range for 20" and 21" wheels. 20" are less likely to suffer damage on potholes.

Major contributing factors to range differences with tires are width, tread compound, tread pattern, and rolling resistance. The 20" and 21" wheels both have the same Pirelli LM1 summer tires on them (differing in wheel diameter but holding the same rolling diameter), so compound, tread pattern, and rolling resistance are likely virtually identical. Also, the 20" wheels have the same staggered widths as the 21" wheels (245mm front / 265mm rear).

The 19" wheels use a different tire with different compound formulation and tread pattern, and also use the narrower 245mm tire on the rear as well as the front. That's why there's a step up in range with the 19" wheels but not with the 20" wheels. The 19" wheels give up a bit of dynamic ability to gain range and light snow traction, while the 20" wheels give up little in the way of warm-weather handling but acquire more pothole resistance, as DeaneG indicated.

The recent Forbes review of the Touring said their 20” wheels had LM1 tires. Are Lucids shipping with both, or did Forbes get its wires crossed?

The 20s have Michelins, but guessing the specs are basically identical to the Pirellis given the same EPA range.

You are correct. I looked at the article again and saw Forbes said the LM1's on the Touring were Michelins. Sorry for the confusion.

It got me to wondering whether my point about the effect of tread pattern on range was off base, too. However, it seems your guess that the specs are basically identical between the Michelins and Pirellis is close.

It seems Lucid's inputs to each manufacturer resulted in a very similar tire. Here are the Pirelli tread pattern (first photo) and the Michelin tread pattern (second photo) on each brand's "LM1" tire:

Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 9.16.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 9.18.05 PM.png

Last edited:
Hi
I have a Grand Touring with 20” wheels. Until now I’ve always charged (at home) to about 70-80%.

Today I charged for the first time to 100%. After the charging completed it shows only 469 miles?

Shouldn’t I expect to see something like 490-500 miles?

Here is a screenshot.
Thanks in advance.
I too have a GT with 20inch wheels ( 3 months and going) . I've charged to 100% couple times before and I got to 485miles . Yesterday, for grins, I tried it again and I too got 469 miles. very wierd

If 19” is 516, 20” is 485 and 21 is 469.

Base on this linear progression

Shouldn’t 19” be 516, 20” is 469 and 21” be 455?

I don’t mind losing 14mi, just like to see closer range estimator.

Our 20s has the same range as our 19s I got no clue how .
IMG_8021.jpeg
IMG_8006.jpeg

Our 20s has the same range as our 19s I got no clue how .
Have you done a range test with both? Or do you mean the car's display of remaining range?

Have you done a range test with both? Or do you mean the car's display of remaining range?
I drive about 60 miles each day 5 days a week so just reading off the efficiency of 3.1 kWh / mile per day

Back