NY and EV Rant of the day

E LUCID 8

Verified Owner
Cars
e53 Mercedes
Referral Code
LPT2BE5A
So our Governor claims to want to make NY an EV state. However, NY does not allow direct sales of cars to consumers. Only EV cars "sold" in NY qualify for NY rebates and clean-pass stickers to use HOV lanes. So, despite my Lucid Air being one of the most efficient EVs made anywhere, it does not qualify for anything. Meanwhile, MB, BMW, Tesla, Audi all are on the NYSERDA list (Tesla was grandfathered in for 5 sales locations when it tried to challenge the law years ago). I am so very tired of NY lack of progress in this area when the politicians claim they want to go green.

I think each EV brand has to fight for it in each state. This was law to protect legacy auto makers.

I am frustrated as well. I agree the program should be expanded and to include our cars I would strongly encourage you to reach out to your local reps to get their ear.

Lucid has a lot on their plate and they should have to waste resources to sue the state to be included. NYS should do their diligence and add ALL EVs to the list regardless of their dealership status with the state.

I am a little skeptical with pols bc they cave to special interests (donors) instead of doing the right thing or bottle the program up so there isn't much progress so they can reallocate those funds somewhere else (MTA??? Stadiums??? and other pet projects).

I am frustrated as well. I agree the program should be expanded and to include our cars I would strongly encourage you to reach out to your local reps to get their ear.

Lucid has a lot on their plate and they should have to waste resources to sue the state to be included. NYS should do their diligence and add ALL EVs to the list regardless of their dealership status with the state.

I am a little skeptical with pols bc they cave to special interests (donors) instead of doing the right thing or bottle the program up so there isn't much progress so they can reallocate those funds somewhere else (MTA??? Stadiums??? and other pet projects).
it's legacy follow-the-money politics they are protecting
destroy/rebuild capitalism is a bloody antidote to tradition
EVs and everything e are here but big carbon / big kick-back tradition ain't gonna make it easy

So our Governor claims to want to make NY an EV state. However, NY does not allow direct sales of cars to consumers. Only EV cars "sold" in NY qualify for NY rebates and clean-pass stickers to use HOV lanes. So, despite my Lucid Air being one of the most efficient EVs made anywhere, it does not qualify for anything. Meanwhile, MB, BMW, Tesla, Audi all are on the NYSERDA list (Tesla was grandfathered in for 5 sales locations when it tried to challenge the law years ago). I am so very tired of NY lack of progress in this area when the politicians claim they want to go green.
You're spot on! I don't understand reason NY treats Lucid differently from other manufacturers. https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/All-Prog...ric-Cars-Program/How-it-Works/Eligible-Models

DMV informed me that the reason the State treats Lucid differently than others is because Lucid has no sales showrooms in NY.

DMV informed me that the reason the State treats Lucid differently than others is because Lucid has no sales showrooms in NY.
I don’t understand. I went to Meatpacking District Lucid gallery in Manhattan. That one doesn’t count?!

I don’t understand. I went to Meatpacking District Lucid gallery in Manhattan. That one doesn’t count?!
Not a dealer. NY will not allow direct sales of EVs. Until that changes or Lucid decides to have dealer franchisees we are stuck. The auto dealer network has a strong lobbying group. Add that to political leadership that is trying to balance climate issues v. the dealer network and Unions trying to protect their interests and nothing happens. The dealer lobby tried to argue that providing benefits to Tesla and Rivian is giving benefits to billionaires because Bezos through Amazon is a big investor in Rivian, Musk=Tesla

IMO, there exists a car dealership lobby that greases the palms of those benevolent folks in Albany who make the rules. EV car manufacturers represent a direct threat to the livelihood of ICE companies so by maintaining the status quo, lawmakers and the ICE lobbyists can tell Ev-ers to suck wind.

For anyone registering at the Hudson, NY DMV office, they require the original Certificate of Origin for a Vehicle and the Purchase Agreement Final Price Sheet must be on Lucid letterhead.

For anyone registering at the Hudson, NY DMV office, they require the original Certificate of Origin for a Vehicle and the Purchase Agreement Final Price Sheet must be on Lucid letterhead.
Really?? You have to go in yourself? I didn’t have to. The DA and office team handled my paperwork but DMV was being a real pain in the neck and required my insurance and documentation all had our full name (including middle) spelled out.

If you are a AAA member you can try to leverage their DMV service offerings. May be less painful.

Good luck

It's inconsistencies such as this that make, what could be a pretty straight-forward process simple and easy, a hassle instead.

My insurance broker (State Farm) insisted that the date on the insurance cert must match the date when I register the car. But when I queried DMV, they said that it's not necessary. So I think there is enough confusion to go around for everyone.

I'm not sure what state you live in, but in NYS, Lucid owners are required to register their cars themselves because Lucid isn't licensed to sell cars in NY.

It's inconsistencies such as this that make, what could be a pretty straight-forward process simple and easy, a hassle instead.

My insurance broker (State Farm) insisted that the date on the insurance cert must match the date when I register the car. But when I queried DMV, they said that it's not necessary. So I think there is enough confusion to go around for everyone.

I'm not sure what state you live in, but in NYS, Lucid owners are required to register their cars themselves because Lucid isn't licensed to sell cars in NY.
I’m in NY. My DA handled it all for me luckily.

I had date issues also but it was mainly for the loan to be secured.

Back