Now THIS is How to Build an EV Charging Station . . .

hmp10

Founding Member
Verified Owner
Cars
Model S Plaid, Odyssey
DE Number
Referral Code
033M4EXG
Europe is setting the standard for EV charging infrastructure. Poland, though a late arrival on the EV scene, seems to be catching up fast:

- covered charge bays
- comfortable waiting lounge with refreshments
- microwave oven
- restrooms
- public WiFi
- monitor displaying charging activity at your slot

After a recent week of sitting at uncovered EA stations on the outskirts of Walmart parking lots after trying several cables to see which one works, this really brings home how much ground the U.S. charging infrastructure still has to cover.

Europe is setting the standard for EV charging infrastructure. Poland, though a late arrival on the EV scene, seems to be catching up fast:

- covered charge bays
- comfortable waiting lounge with refreshments
- microwave oven
- restrooms
- public WiFi
- monitor displaying charging activity at your slot

After a recent week of sitting at uncovered EA stations on the outskirts of Walmart parking lots after trying several cables to see which one works, this really brings home how much ground the U.S. charging infrastructure still has to cover.
I think it's mainly because unlike Europe, the US has been pushing back against EVs for a long time that the infrastructure for charging is just a reflection of that attitude. Also, since VW was forced to build the EA network, their initial thought was WGAF, but now they are pushing for nicer charging amenities.

Yes, we're much more interested in trying to revive the moribund coal industry and allowing oil companies to stockpile even more unused drilling leases. If we spent equivalent political energy on the EV infrastructure, we'd have luxury EV charging spas on every street corner.

Yes! Why is it that EA charging stations are built so that not all ‘pumps’ can be physically accessed at the same time?

I think it's mainly because unlike Europe, the US has been pushing back against EVs for a long time that the infrastructure for charging is just a reflection of that attitude. Also, since VW was forced to build the EA network, their initial thought was WGAF, but now they are pushing for nicer charging amenities.
VW was so stupid! They could've taken a negative and spun it into a positive. If they actually planned out and built the network properly they would've had a solid revenue stream for years to come from having the largest network in the US. Instead, they took the approach of lets just get it done because we have to. So short sighted

What do you wanna use a newfangled technology like _coal_ for? I heat my house with whale oil!

That is to say, US history is filled with new energy technologies replacing older ones. The old industries die off, the workers in those industries have to move on. Cities and towns have to adapt or the become abandoned. I feel like the fighting for coal though is probably a little more intense than whale oil though...

The worst EA station we've visited regularly is located behind Panoche Shell's bathrooms in Firebaugh CA. The second worst is at OneLog House outside Garberville CA. It's adjacent to a dispensary/gift shop with locked bathrooms and no cell service. Very difficult to get a charge started if you need to use the phone app to do it.

The worst EA station we've visited regularly is located behind Panoche Shell's bathrooms in Firebaugh CA. The second worst is at OneLog House outside Garberville CA. It's adjacent to a dispensary/gift shop with locked bathrooms and no cell service. Very difficult to get a charge started if you need to use the phone app to do it.
Why is the Panoche Shell station the worst?

The worst EA station we've visited regularly is located behind Panoche Shell's bathrooms in Firebaugh CA
That location is horrendous! I’ve had many screaming sessions with EA on the phone at that location. One time it was 110 outside and spent 45 mins on the phone moving from charger to charger trying to get one to work even though they were all reporting as online. The cables were so hot from the sun I burnt my hand. I avoid that location at all costs! EA sent a technician out to sit there for a week to figure out what was going on and they’re still unreliable. Yet, over the road Tesla has 50 chargers that work fine!

That location is horrendous! I’ve had many screaming sessions with EA on the phone at that location. One time it was 110 outside and spent 45 mins on the phone moving from charger to charger trying to get one to work even though they were all reporting as online. The cables were so hot from the sun I burnt my hand. I avoid that location at all costs! EA sent a technician out to sit there for a week to figure out what was going on and they’re still unreliable. Yet, over the road Tesla has 50 chargers that work fine!
Lol, my last road trip I was there, all open, plugged in and walked away. No muss, no fuss. I liked how it was right next to the bathrooms also!

Yes! Why is it that EA charging stations are built so that not all ‘pumps’ can be physically accessed at the same time?
Try a Chargepoint “fast charger” bay. It will say 128kw on it but peaks are 62 in case another car plugs in next to you, and then when another car does plug in it will limit you to 30kw.

I like the WalMart EA charger near me, evens though I’ve never seen that one’s 350kw go over 180kw, it’s worth it because you get a real entertaining show of crackheads fighting nearby while you charge. It could be 8am or 8pm, they’re always shit going down at that one.

Lol, my last road trip I was there, all open, plugged in and walked away. No muss, no fuss. I liked how it was right next to the bathrooms also!
Just that the location is bleak, no shade, and bathrooms were really dirty. We just held it until the next charger 90 miles away. I should have walked across Panoche Rd to the market etc instead.

Mapped out an alternate road trip to the Green River in Dutch John, UT from the Bay Area last night in anticipation of the holiday weekend flight cancellations/pilot shortage. There are more 350 kW chargers than 150 kW units at the charging stations mapped out. Would prefer to fly into Salt Lake City than do the run across Nevada and Utah. The last EA charging station is 125 miles away in Evanston, WY along Interstate 80. Last year, we spotted a Tesla parked on the Flaming Gorge dam. Not certain if they were waiting for tow to a charging station. We have access to a nearby RV hookup once in Dutch John. We had intended to take a short cut midweek to Dinosaur National Monument Quarry along a scenic dirt road in a rental car. Not certain if it is prudent in the GTA.

. . . you get a real entertaining show of crackheads fighting nearby while you charge. It could be 8am or 8pm, they’re always shit going down at that one.

Damn it all. I've got to remember to back in to charge so that I don't miss the show.

Do you need a special adapter to plug in to an RV hookup?
A buddy drove his Model 3 back there last fall and went into Yellowstone. He charged there last year. I have call into him. I thought it was a 220 outlet.

...We had intended to take a short cut midweek to Dinosaur National Monument Quarry along a scenic dirt road in a rental car. Not certain if it is prudent in the GTA.
I wouldn't do it on 21"wheels. If you drive carefully and not too fast, no problem on 19" wheels.

Back