No need to reset TPMS

AlignTrex

Does anyone know if you change from summer tires on 20" wheels to winter tires on 20" wheels if the TPMS needs to be reset? I was informed by my DA that it does NOT need to be if the wheel size are the same. I am also not confident on what my DA informs me as she is also telling me I can drive home with the summer tires without a problem here in Chicago during the winter. My understanding is the summer tires becomes hard under 40 degrees.

I switched my 19" AS to 19" snow tires with new wheels/TPMS sensors and the TPMS system needed to be re-set by the service center to clear the warning light.

Does anyone know if you change from summer tires on 20" wheels to winter tires on 20" wheels if the TPMS needs to be reset? I was informed by my DA that it does NOT need to be if the wheel size are the same. I am also not confident on what my DA informs me as she is also telling me I can drive home with the summer tires without a problem here in Chicago during the winter. My understanding is the summer tires becomes hard under 40 degrees.
I talked to 3 different staff: delivery person, technician and the service manager separately when I picked up my car and they all said the same: any change in TPMS has to be reset by Lucid: Lucid full size spare tire with TPMS, tire rotation...

You mean OEM has 20” winter tires now???

I talked to 3 different staff: delivery person, technician and the service manager separately when I picked up my car and they all said the same: any change in TPMS has to be reset by Lucid: Lucid full size spare tire with TPMS, tire rotation...

I think this is correct and there are a few threads on this with some nuance as to different scenarios

As it pertains to tire pressure monitoring:
- same tpms sensor in the same wheel position on the car (ie. right front wheel to right front wheel) irrespective of wheel or tire changes does not need to be sync'd by service, should just automatically recognize
- same tpms sensors in different wheel positions: not certain but may need service to sync
- new tpms sensors: always need to be sync'd

Pertaining to efficiency and miles available from soc:
- any change in wheel diameter or width needs to be recalibrated by service
- any change in tire category (ie. summer to winter tires) needs to be calibrated by service

hope that helps

On the Porsche you have a setting to remember and set the TPMS settings for different types of tires (winter/summer). I hope this becomes a future option with software updates. Would be a pain to have to schedule a service call to switch out tires 2x per year.

On the Porsche you have a setting to remember and set the TPMS settings for different types of tires (winter/summer). I hope this becomes a future option with software updates. Would be a pain to have to schedule a service call to switch out tires 2x per year.
I believe this is on the road map for Lucid. Just haven't gotten to it yet. Hopefully by the time comes for the Spring switch.

I am also not confident on what my DA informs me as she is also telling me I can drive home with the summer tires without a problem here in Chicago during the winter. My understanding is the summer tires becomes hard under 40 degrees.
She is FOS. Think hockey puck. Dry roads only if it's below 40. The rubber gets hard and you have no stypes ... exactly like a hockey puck. Thing is you will be ok until you aren't. It happens and there is no recovery. You absolutely need AS tires in Chicago.

They definitely don’t want to be doing this long term. I have no doubt it’s on their wishlist.

She is FOS. Think hockey puck. Dry roads only if it's below 40. The rubber gets hard and you have no stypes ... exactly like a hockey puck. Thing is you will be ok until you aren't. It happens and there is no recovery. You absolutely need AS tires in Chicago.
Are you speaking from experience with the Lucid summer tires in winter weather or general past experience?

I'll say it from experience on Pilot Sport summer tires: the tires turn to glass around 35F. Little traction even on dry pavement. Maybe they've improved since that time.

I had my tires changed out. Same wheel/ same TPMS to same wheel. The sensor is on and needs to be reset. My DM said he would contact service to arrange it. I have not heard back from the DM or from service. I was told they would come to me to reset it. The service center is hours away from me and I no desire to spend all that time, battery charge and mileage on the car to drive there and back.

I had my tires changed out. Same wheel/ same TPMS to same wheel. The sensor is on and needs to be reset. My DM said he would contact service to arrange it. I have not heard back from the DM or from service. I was told they would come to me to reset it. The service center is hours away from me and I no desire to spend all that time, battery charge and mileage on the car to drive there and back.
They can definitely do it via mobile service. Call the service center directly instead of going through your DM.

I used to go old school on my Model S for years, and let the sensors flash for the 3 months of winter, manually checking pressures every 4-6 weeks. Only this season did I get tpms for the snow tires, in anticipation of handing over the car to my wife. Pro tip: adjust the steering wheel to block the flashing signal on the dash😁

So I just received (from Lucid) a set of Pirelli Sottozero 19" snow tires. Having followed this thread since it started, I wanted to make sure about the TPMS- I asked the local techs (who I like and trust a lot) and they told me unequivocally that there was no need to reset the TPMS since I'm not changing tire size or wheels. Scheduled for the swap this Friday, and I'll let y'all know which one of you is right...

And a side note- the stock all-seasons have done very very well so far this winter, through several snow storms and cold temps (below 0). Still, wanted to be prepared for trips to the mountains.

I’m still waiting for them to schedule me for my snow tires. Glad to see someone nearby is getting them. Gives me hope mine will be available soon.

As promised- Got my tires swapped out today, and no need to reset TPMS. BTW- it's about 5 degrees outside, roads are snowy and very icy, and the car drives like a champ. (though I did manage to lose a little traction in sprint mode- just for the sake of research)

Back