No more Model S/X production

Tesla is trying to push adoption of FSD as evidenced by recent canceling of Auto-Pilot. Model S/X had a 50% take rate for FSD vs Model 3/Y only 15%. This is largely due to cost. Someone paying $100K for car, and extra $99 per month is not as big of a deal but for someone paying less that $50k, that extra cost is considerable. If Tesla had focused on making significant improvements of the S/X, this would have driven sales of those models and in turn more FSD adoption. If Lucid is able to deliver a solid midsize with stable software and included/low cost highway auto-pilot and then the promise of upcoming Level 4 if you upgrade to their DreamDrive Pro, that could spell big problems for Tesla. I agree that the Model Y is the best sub $50k EV out right now but the competition is closing in on all sides and if Tesla continues to focus on FSD and ignore market that is not ready (or capable) for paying for it, it could be a big issue for them.
 
Tesla is moving from selling cars to selling transportation services. Will they be successful? Maybe, maybe not, but staying in the car making business with it's high capex and low margins and competition from China coming on strong would be a death sentence.

I see no reason to assume China will not come on as aggressively in these other endeavors as Tesla or anyone else. In the U.S. at least, their only shield again China is tariffs and product bans.

In the later years of his once-storied tenure as CEO of General Electric, Jack Welch admitted that one of the fundamental mistakes of his early tenure had been to move out of product lines that were up against the Japanese instead of confronting Japan head-on with its adoption of modern manufacturing science based on the work of Edwards Deming and others advancing six-sigma design and manufacturing. Even when staying in high-labor-content industries, GE took the route of too many other manufacturering and engineering firms of outsourcing to second- and third-world countries instead of constantly improving efficiencies in their in-house operations.

The story is repeating again in the U.S. as we turn away from the pursuit of alternate energy and basic science and medical research while the rest of world forges ahead in those endeavors. Instead, we are trying to revive a moribund coal industry, pretend oil will flow forever, replace medical science with TV and internet influencers, and turn cutting-edge sciences such as space exploration and cosmology over to private entrepreneurs . . . meanwhile trying to keep our economic oxygen flowing while our body rots by throwing up tariff walls and distracting the homefront with other issues.

GE -- which reached the highest market capitalization in the world under Jack Welch -- is now a ghost of its former self with the brand almost gone from the marketplace and long since replaced on the Dow Jones by Walgreen's. Toward the end of his tenure, Jack said that the real judgment of his tenure could be made based on where the company was twenty years after his departure.

That's almost exactly how long it took the company implode.

We're on the same path in this country.
 
Waymo remains constrained by the vehicles available to them. Limited number of iPaces since Jag discontinued them, then they went for Zeekr. But, tariffs on Chinese cars made those too expensive, so they pivoted to Hyundais.

They also knew they wanted to start slow since the cars are expensive to modify. They’ve been simplifying the sensor suite with each iteration, trying to get the cost down.

If they could have done so affordably, they’d rather today be running more than just a couple hundred cars in Austin, and only 100 cars in Atlanta. They have so few cars available that they had to partner with Uber so wait times wouldn’t be crazy long.
I don't think you're correct that Waymo has abandoned Zeekr. Reputable press outlets report as of this January that Waymo continues to build out their "Ojai" taxis, which are Zeekr based. And I've started to see them driving around in SF.
 
Zeekr is aiming to build in the Geely/Volvo SC facility at some point in the next 3 years. The Model S was a proper OG breakthrough vehicle that IS basically the mainstream EV start. I am also not terribly convinced the personal car robotaxi will make any owners money, a fleet operator will be better in every aspect. At least having lots of robotaxis will still force a good charging network requirment. That being said I have been looking up lots of data on the number of taxi rides and ride hailer vehicles out there in big metro areas, and the market is far smaller than the stock would have you believe. Other than their argument that everyone wants to have a personal pod to commute in and majority of miles are under 2 passenger.
 
IIRC, this is a Lucid forum, so I'll drag us back:

I think it's very impressive that Lucid is claiming half the component count of a model Y for the upcoming mid-size. I eagerly await details for how that's achieved. There are still plenty of companies doing cutting edge engineering and manufacturing in the USA, and the game isn't over. Many of us here are old enough to remember the gloom and doom about the Japanese eating our lunch, and look how that turned out.
 
Sad IMO. I still have an S and I like it. It's been a great car for 8+ years and I think I will continue to enjoy it for at least a few more - or my new driver in the family will. Weird to think it's kind of a "classic" now.
 
Elon is a Nazi and one of the most evil men on earth, but the Model S was truly a revolutionary vehicle, and imo the greatest American sedan ever produced. I owned a P100D and then eventually upgraded to a Plaid, and I didn’t sell the Plaid because of any complaints with the car itself. It’s such a shame Tesla has so thoroughly and completely lost its way, and even sadder that Musk turned into such an irredeemable sack of human garbage.

I think they could see the writing on the wall, though. Every Tesla owner I know is eager to get out of their swasticar as soon as they can financially.
I didn't get a new Tesla for the same reason. Revolutionary product, terrible human leading it.
 
We all know its because they weren't selling, but its better to dress it up as a deliberate move to make your future robots. How you gonna make robots when you can't even get FSD to work without a million disclaimers?

The military will use robots though, if I was a small country with oil, I'd be real concerned. That's the only future I can really see for humanoid robots on any scale.
 
Uh huh just like VR is gonna make us all work in virtual worlds, Lime Scooter and Bird and whatever other shoveled scooter startups we’re gonna change transportation. We are absolutely not going to have a world of robotaxis. At best it will be a Waymo competitor puttering around San Francisco.

And if that were true, why did Tesla waste the time making a cheaper 3 and Y then? CHECKMATE

Before all of that, there was "IT" (aka Ginger) which was supposed to change transportation and the way cities were designed, at least according to the teaser campaign that got shoved into every news outlet at the time. We now know it as Segway...
 
Before all of that, there was "IT" (aka Ginger) which was supposed to change transportation and the way cities were designed, at least according to the teaser campaign that got shoved into every news outlet at the time. We now know it as Segway...
3DTV!

8k Television!

Air Friers!
 
Why does this post about Tesla Model S and X get more attention then any of the other Lucid announcements on a Lucid forum?

Are we that ANTI-ELON / TESLA here lol!?
 
Why does this post about Tesla Model S and X get more attention then any of the other Lucid announcements on a Lucid forum?

Are we that ANTI-ELON / TESLA here lol!?
I would say because it is a fairly significant announcement that impacts the broader EV industry. Now maybe the TONE of some of the comments lean anti-Elon or anti-Tesla, but the subject matter itself is very relevant and bears discussion.
 
I don't think you're correct that Waymo has abandoned Zeekr. Reputable press outlets report as of this January that Waymo continues to build out their "Ojai" taxis, which are Zeekr based. And I've started to see them driving around in SF.
I didn't say "abandoned Zeekr." I said: "tariffs on Chinese cars made those too expensive, so they pivoted to Hyundais."

Here's an article on exactly that, saying in part:
Waymo’s potential deal with Hyundai for the IONIQ 5 platform could mark the end of Waymo’s deal with Zeekr, ending what we have termed an unforced error.
Here's a 7 month old article on what Waymo has to do to get around import tariffs as well as regulations on Chinese electronics in vehicles on US public roads:
Zeekr makes the vehicle parts, sends them to Sweden for assembly, then those are sent to Arizona. That article notes:
If Washington redefines “Chinese-owned brand” as disallowed, the current arrangement could end abruptly. Waymo is already exploring a backup platform with Hyundai/Kia, but that option carries higher costs and longer timelines.
So I think Waymo's in a tough spot either way. We know there are Zeekrs being tested (as evidenced by the crash in Echo Park a couple days ago), and so we'll start seeing those, and I'm sure there are both Zeekrs in the the US being modified and perhaps even more on the way, but Waymo knows that's not a secure future path for them.

We are absolutely not going to have a world of robotaxis. At best it will be a Waymo competitor puttering around San Francisco.
And if that were true, why did Tesla waste the time making a cheaper 3 and Y then? CHECKMATE
Tesla didn't "waste time" with 3 and Y - they made a ton of money, established themselves as a world-wide high-volume automotive producer: Both of which turned out to be needed for the next step. That Tesla is already running taxi services with Model Y shows the value in that, even if somewhat accidental in terms of development.

Have you read Tony Seba?
At its heart, the argument behind Seba and Arbib’s ‘Rethinking Transportation’ (RT) is simple: electric vehicles that can safely drive themselves will be cheap to operate, so cheap that a new business model will arise, Transportation-as-a-Service (TaaS), where passengers access on-demand transportation from fleets of autonomous electric vehicles (A-EVs), reducing (and eventually, eliminating) the need for human driving and individual vehicle ownership.

These services will start in large cities, Seba and Arbib predicted, but will quickly expand in their range and in the number of vehicles in the fleets, ‘disrupting’ human-driven trips with robotaxi-driven ones.
It's taking longer than they predicted, but it's happening.

To me the biggest surprise is Tesla does not appear to have a plan for filling the holes in the portfolio left by these two vehicles exiting. Model 3 and Model Y are great volume levers but they leave nowhere to go for Tesla customers who want "what's next". At some point everyone who wants a Model 3 or a Model Y will have one. But then what? No aspirational vehicles, no "next life-stage" vehicles, no "my personal toy" vehicles to help balance out the portfolio.

Maybe that's "traditional automaker-think" on my part but when I look at the areas of focus of newer EV launches, I think not.
I've also worked at a couple OEMs, including a low volume, premium EV brand.
As I posted, Elon already previewed this change back in 2019:

Companies like Mercedes were always limited in their growth by the size of the markets in which their products could be sold. That's why Mercedes moved downmarket in 1997 with the A-Class. However, despite that, Tesla has sold more Model 3s and Ys in 8 years than Mercedes has sold A-Classes in 28.

The best VCRs ever made came out in the 1990s. Who cares what was the best landline phone ever made? Who rents DVDs anymore? Even Ferrari discontinued manual transmissions in 2012. We're in a world today where die-hards are clinging to their ICE vehicles, but we all know the future is electric.
However, why should we assume that is the end-state? It's not.

Musk, and therefore Tesla, believe that the next thing is not a better vehicle, but more convenient and cheaper transportation. Sure, there will still be a market for people who want to own a vehicle. But, at some point, I predict, they'll be prohibited from driving it in certain cities, because it simply won't be as safe. And many people being born today may not even get a driver's license - ever. I was going to post something about needing a license to drive a tractor on rural roads to get it from place to place, but I see John Deere already has the autonomous 8R tractor.

-----

I do think this is, at least in the near term, an opportunity for Lucid, who is running about 10 years behind Tesla (in 2016 Tesla had released its big SUV and was planning the Model 3 just as Lucid has its SUV and is planning the Earth today). But, the world is different. Hopefully, Lucid is serious about its Nvidia Drive integration, as in 2027 coming out with mid-size, mid-priced vehicle without a solid L2++ system would be a sales failure.

I think it's very impressive that Lucid is claiming half the component count of a model Y for the upcoming mid-size.

That's not what Lucid is claiming. Here's the quote from Lucid's CEO:
We know what the BOM costs [are] from some [competitor] vehicles from U.S. manufacturers in that segment. We're talking about almost half of it. We've done a lot of optimization. We have right now [a] lower parts count than the new [Tesla] Model Y.

They're claiming almost half of the costs.
They're claiming "lower parts count" than the Model Y.
Don't confuse the two, as Autoline apparently did.

I just hope Earth isn't like the best VCR ever made.
 
Last edited:
Unlike most, I do think this is a sad day and do not see much cause for celebration. We can all feel how we want about Elon and Tesla currently, but vehicle electrification would not be where it is today where it not for the Model S. While the writing has been on the wall for a while, I was hoping the delay in any significant update meant we were getting new versions of the S and X, not just having them axed altogether. Competition is always good and it helps drive the market forward. Again, hate them or not, Tesla has heralded a lot of what the electric vehicle market is today - for worse and for better.

I do not wish for Tesla to pivot away entirely from manufacturing vehicles and really hope someone over there can keep the engineering and automotive aspect of the company alive. A new S and X with better battery management, 800v architecture, RWS, massaging seats, HUD, etc. would be very welcomed, though I do think this is the end of that line. This forum seems to think Lucid will take over the mantle, and while I do hope this is true, I do think this is several years away if Lucid is able to make it work. They are still way too behind on software and unknown to most people. I hope they figure it out for the market as a whole, as I do think the end of the S and X is a really bad sign for the EV market altogether, specially here in America where other big names like F150 Lightning have also folded.
I am all for a better Model S/X. What I was not for was pretending they still mattered in their present state.

Old cars sometimes die. Nobody buys a Model T anymore, despite it being instrumental in us driving anything at all. It was produced for 19 years. Tesla’s Model S has had 14 years.

We can remember it fondly and also be glad it’s not in the market anymore in its present state. Those things aren’t mutually exclusive.

I would love more competition. That wasn’t it anymore.
 
Oh.... actual money is for sure in those things right now. In huge amounts, capital spending, infrastructure, and even super inflated stock prices. Money as in "amounts being thrown in spades in those things", and investment = money. Real money. Is it hype? of course! and a huge bubble if you ask me. It won't end well. You are right about that, and I agree with you fully.
Fair. I should have said profit/revenue.
 
Why does this post about Tesla Model S and X get more attention then any of the other Lucid announcements on a Lucid forum?

Are we that ANTI-ELON / TESLA here lol!?
The S and X are the closest comparisons to the Air and Gravity. I suspect they’re frequently cross-shopped and many Lucid owners are former owners of these two vehicles. So comparisons are inevitable. At the same time their demise is a cautionary tale of what can happen as a start up scales to mass production and abandons an investment in innovation and improvement of legacy models. So I would expect this topic to get a lot of attention.
 
Before all of that, there was "IT" (aka Ginger) which was supposed to change transportation and the way cities were designed, at least according to the teaser campaign that got shoved into every news outlet at the time. We now know it as Segway...
Oh boy, I remember that dean kamen hype so, so well.
 
Back
Top