No HERE maps app available on Windows?

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
After having trouble with planning a trip on my desktop PC using Google maps, and trying to replicate the trip plan in HERE maps on the car, I thought I'd try planning the trip using HERE maps on my PC to reduce translation errors. I was surprised to find that there is no HERE maps app for Windows. It seems I'm supposed to use my phone for this instead - difficult to do for a big trip with many less-than-obvious waypoints.

Using Google maps end-to-end is so much easier. That's what we did in our other EV before we chose the Air.

One of the problems of passing a destination from google maps or apple maps to the Lucid navigation is that the destination is passed as a Lat/Long rather than a point of interest. If Here maps has the exact same Lat/Long for that POI, it will match. If it does not, it will guide you to the Lat/Long which may not be the entrance to the building. This is why we sometimes see the poor guidance. Its also a good reason to pass the POI from a Here map as you were trying.

I did find HERE maps' web interface at https://wego.here.com/.

Fort the kind of trips we plan, HERE maps' database is pitiful compared to Google's. Screenshots attached of the same search for Mobius Arch trailhead. Google Maps shows the trailhead location correctly and many interesting POIs within walking distance. HERE maps has no POIs, zero, and also has the trailhead location wrong by more than a mile.

I don't think HERE maps will ever catch up, as Google makes it very easy for users to add POIs, and to correct maps data and metadata. HERE does not - I tried and found it difficult and obtuse.

It doesn't matter to everyone, but it's important to us and native Google maps will be highly weighted in our next car purchase decision. It is or will be soon available in Polestar, Volvo, Porsche, and many others. They won't have Lucid's range, but with superchargers opening up by then, maybe I can sacrifice range for usability.

Google Maps Mobius Arch Loop Trailhead.png
HERE Maps Mobius Arch Loop Trailhead.png

Last edited:
After having trouble with planning a trip on my desktop PC using Google maps, and trying to replicate the trip plan in HERE maps on the car, I thought I'd try planning the trip using HERE maps on my PC to reduce translation errors. I was surprised to find that there is no HERE maps app for Windows. It seems I'm supposed to use my phone for this instead - difficult to do for a big trip with many less-than-obvious waypoints.

Using Google maps end-to-end is so much easier. That's what we did in our other EV before we chose the Air.
They have a web app: https://wego.here.com

@mcr16 please see above (third post in this thread) for an example of my main concern with HERE maps, apart from occasional bugs and glitches. It's often unusable for us because of its weak content.

I could be wrong but I don't think HERE was chosen for owners to have every POI listed on the map like Google does. The reason I keep seeing why they get chosen is they have the most comprehensive HD mapping tools available which seems many are relying on for their autonomous driving efforts. So it seems they're chosen more for what they deliver on the backend vs the frontend that we all see. I'm in CA and haven't had major issue with it, even when it's re-routed due to traffic i've checked Apple Maps and Google and it's advising the same route and same destination times. To be fair, your example of a trailhead is pretty out there compared to if you put in more common places to navigate to :) .

If Porsche is going back to Google that's interesting as VW Group, Mercedes, BMW, Mitsubishi, Intel etc. all have an ownership stake in HERE.

... To be fair, your example of a trailhead is pretty out there compared to if you put in more common places to navigate to :) .
It's pretty common for us! Our Air is our long-distance car, typically city-to-trail trips rather than city-to-city. We've taken it to the eastern Sierra, Joshua Tree, Carrizo Plain, etc.

If Porsche is going back to Google that's interesting as VW Group, Mercedes, BMW, Mitsubishi, Intel etc. all have an ownership stake in HERE.
I thought so too, and was very happy to see this:

Lucid off road.jpg

I have the same problem, using my Lucid to drive to trailheads, conservation land, even state and national parks that can't be found. I started adding POI's to HERE's database through their website, and they appear now in the web interface, but 9 months later still are not searchable in the car. And it misleadingly looks like I can find the location in Google maps and send it to the car, but the car receives the name, not the lat/long, and routes me to something with a similar name that might even be in the wrong state! This is particularly aggravating because many of the places I hike have no cellular coverage. If I don't verify the car is routing me to the right place while I'm in civilization, I can't correct it later because I can no longer search in Google maps either.

And someone above commented about traffic routing working well for them in California. Here in Massachusetts, it's not good at all. Waze always has different, more efficient routes.

Because of this, I depend on CarPlay to route from my phone.

Interesting. We know how to send a route as a series of lat/lon waypoints to the car via the API, I just don’t use Lucid’s nav often enough to have a use for that myself. I’ve never used the “send to car” feature from my phone either so I didn’t realize the issues with that. Not to distract from Lucid fixing these issues, but we could come up with some sort of workaround using that functionality. Maybe we can directly export waypoint coordinates from a Google Maps route? Let us know if that sounds useful or if you have ideas.

I have the same problem, using my Lucid to drive to trailheads, conservation land, even state and national parks that can't be found.
I have the same exact problem with HERE as I’m a trail hiker. I refuse to use the nav for guidance looking for trailheads and only rely on Google Maps. The only solution I’ve found if I want to use the car navigation is to run Google Maps and the HERE navigation at the same time and overriding the HERE guidance with GM suggestions when conflicting.

I have the same exact problem with HERE as I’m a trail hiker. I refuse to use the nav for guidance looking for trailheads and only rely on Google Maps. The only solution I’ve found if I want to use the car navigation is to run Google Maps and the HERE navigation at the same time and overriding the HERE guidance with GM suggestions when conflicting.
Same, I can't rely on HERE at all for the majority of our road trips. It's just taking up space in the UX.

Back