Nissan Rogue gets Google Maps and voice Assistant built-in

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
Nissan joins the growing number of car companies switching to Google Maps, Google voice Assistant, and an app store.
I wish Lucid would. IMO they're fighting the wrong battle in trying to improve HERE maps.
Some say that Lucid chose HERE for ADAS reasons. How's that working out so far?

Nissan joins the growing number of car companies switching to Google Maps, Google voice Assistant, and an app store.
I wish Lucid would. IMO they're fighting the wrong battle in trying to improve HERE maps.

Possibly better than if they didn't, no one really knows why they continue but I bet they are contractually obligated in some way.

They can keep it. 🙂. Prefer CarPlay any day of the week, but then I am an Apple guy.

They can keep it. 🙂. Prefer CarPlay any day of the week, but then I am an Apple guy.
I think that's reasonable for an iOS person. If you're an Android user, Android Auto works just as well as CarPlay. But having the apps native in the car is far better. I've used all three.

Maybe this is part of the issue - iOS users have no idea how much better it is to have their car natively running the exact same apps as their phone, because they've never experienced it. So CarPlay is great and there's no need for anything else. I imagine the vast majority of Lucid execs use iOS exclusively and haven't had direct experience beyond CarPlay.

Could be, but have no desire to ever use Android or any Android phone. Love Apple stuff and really want Apple CarPlay 2 on my next car. Wish it would come out already. 🙂

I’m an Apple guy and hate CarPlay with a passion. Looks disgusting, outdated and Lucid’s implementation of it is lackluster at best compared to the competition.

If anyone thinks that automakers will willingly give over all their data to make CarPlay 2.0 a success then be prepared to be disappointed. Many have said they will offer some variation of it but not offering how Apple intended it to be used. Apple wants the keys to the kingdom and no automaker will hand over that valuable data.

If any automaker is hearing owners say they prefer CarPlay over the native software then they’ve failed in UX/UI design. You hear rumblings from Tesla and Rivian owners but they’re not screaming for it. Why? Because they listened to what customers wanted and implemented software they like.

We’ve had this discussion a thoussand times on the forum before. But the fact is, my phone has my data and is just always going to be better at knowing what I need than any built-in system ever could.

...my phone has my data and is just always going to be better at knowing what I need than any built-in system ever could.
If you are on iOS, yes.

Like you said, we've been over this too many times. I'll shut up.

I’m an Apple guy and hate CarPlay with a passion. Looks disgusting, outdated and Lucid’s implementation of it is lackluster at best compared to the competition.

If anyone thinks that automakers will willingly give over all their data to make CarPlay 2.0 a success then be prepared to be disappointed. Many have said they will offer some variation of it but not offering how Apple intended it to be used. Apple wants the keys to the kingdom and no automaker will hand over that valuable data.

If any automaker is hearing owners say they prefer CarPlay over the native software then they’ve failed in UX/UI design. You hear rumblings from Tesla and Rivian owners but they’re not screaming for it. Why? Because they listened to what customers wanted and implemented software they like.
Hmm - most people I know love CarPlay. Younger demographic prefer it too. But, most everyone I know has an iPhone too. There 2.0 version looks awesome!

I just got back from a trip where I had a rental car. I will only choose vehicles that I know have CarPlay. I like that the experience in any car is exactly what I expect and has tight integration with my phone. The lack of CarPlay is the reason that Rivian and Tesla are off my shopping list.

Carplay/AA are good, but the way the maps have to be reduced due to the shape of the Lucid display make it a subpar option. Here Maps continue to disappoint. I wonder if there will ever be a better native mapping option or or we'll always be stuck with a display that is form/style over function.

I just got back from a trip where I had a rental car. I will only choose vehicles that I know have CarPlay. I like that the experience in any car is exactly what I expect and has tight integration with my phone. The lack of CarPlay is the reason that Rivian and Tesla are off my shopping list.
To each their own. I just think it has no place in a luxury vehicle for the premium you pay you should be getting seamless integration with the cars own software.

I know I’m an outlier and you actually give a good example of where CarPlay is useful, in rentals. Majority of the time they’re bare bones vehicles where CarPlay offers more.

I've been waiting a long time for AA. It would have to be a really bad implementation when it comes for me to be disappointed with it

To each their own. I just think it has no place in a luxury vehicle for the premium you pay you should be getting seamless integration with the cars own software.

I know I’m an outlier and you actually give a good example of where CarPlay is useful, in rentals. Majority of the time they’re bare bones vehicles where CarPlay offers more.
My rental was a BMW X6.

My rentals are usually BMW, Audi’s or Volvo’s and they always have CarPlay. I rent a lot of cars and just like Bobby said will only rent cars that have CarPlay. Makes it easy as it just get in and go and all my settings are already good to go too with a familiar interface. I also use Waze and love Carplay for that too.

IMHO, when mfg’s don’t offer CarPlay, they are losing a segment of buyers who only want CarPlay. Especially the younger demographics, like my son. He is definitely that way.

I’m almost embarrassed to say I’ve had no significant issues with Here nav system. I’ll leave now.
Me either. I've deliberately checked in when stuck in traffic against Google Maps and Apple Maps and they're all offering the same route. Even when Here has re-routed due to traffic build up Google and Apple are advising the same. Waze is probably going to be a different result as it seems to be very aggressive in its re-routing. If a dirt road exists on the side of the road you're stuck on then Waze will take you on that dirt road 😂

Maybe Here works better in some cities \ states than others 🤷‍♂️

Pretty well, tbh, I'd say. I quite like HIghway Assist and use it all the time. I am excited for additional features eventually coming down the pipe.

Maybe this is part of the issue - iOS users have no idea how much better it is to have their car natively running the exact same apps as their phone, because they've never experienced it. So CarPlay is great and there's no need for anything else. I imagine the vast majority of Lucid execs use iOS exclusively and haven't had direct experience beyond CarPlay.
I have used it, in a Polestar. I hated it. I found the UX frustrating, and while Google Maps worked great, the voice assistant was trash (I swear I think people who like Google's voice assistant live in a world of Stockholm Syndrome), and the rest was *fine*, just like any other infotainment system. Just my $.02.

The majority of auto manufacturers’s customers do prefer CarPlay over their native software.

That is because the majority of auto manufacturers' native infotainment sucks. Lucid's is one of the better ones, imho, in terms of UX; and it's still not where it needs to be imho.

Back