Nice article in Car and Driver on tuning the Sapphire

Production cars nowadays are giving so much performance that their performance versions are beginning to offer increasing smaller extractable benefits on public roads, so unless the performance version looked quite different then it is much harder to justify. It's the reason that here in Vancouver, with our dearth of highways and short light - to-light streets, even a model S plaid makes no sense... And the sapphire is about double the price!

I'm revisiting this thread, thinking what if.
If HRE, or some other brand, offers down sized wheels from 265/35R20-front 295/30R21-rear to whatever (more rubber), I'd strongly reconsider purchasing the Sapphire.

I'm revisiting this thread, thinking what if.
If HRE, or some other brand, offers down sized wheels from 265/35R20-front 295/30R21-rear to whatever (more rubber), I'd strongly reconsider purchasing the Sapphire.

Do you mean wider tread on taller sidewalls?

Do you mean wider tread on taller sidewalls?
Taller sidewalls.
Potholes in the tri-state areas are very devious.

Fascinating. And given how impressive Ben "The Stig" Collins has already found the Sapphire to be in a less-evolved state of suspension tuning, I have a feeling that the final product is going to blow all minds that get their hands on it.

We're already planning on replacing our Honda Odyssey with the Gravity SUV when it comes out. But Lordy, do I want this car, too. I wonder if three Lucids in the garage would scream vile "Excess!!"?

Thank goodness I don't like the interior palette of the Sapphire, especially the neon blue screen graphics. It it came with a Santo Monica interior, I would be lost. Utterly.
Glad to see I'm not the only one seriously considering all three in the driveway. I'll have to amp up my income a few notches for the Sapphire, but it's a worthy reward.

To the comments, I would see the Sapphire as a track car with the flexibility to do other things. Rides around town. Maybe a longer road trip with the wife on some mountain roads. Hitting up known destinations with reliable charging infrastructure along the way to put the car through it's paces every mile to the next station.

Gravity would be the utilitarian vehicle. Good to do things within a shorter radius around the house. Bikes, water rafting, and any other activity needing a large quantity of space. If we really needed to take any of those on long trips, we would bite the bullet with the lesser range and be careful about route planning. Attaching things to the cars externally almost always results in scratches, dings, and rubbing of clear coat, so the ability to put it inside the car with a family of four would be ideal.

The Air GT would remain the ultimate cruiser for comfort on long trips. Reach the places that are more out of the way with less worry about the range of the vehicle. Exploration and remote places at a slower pace with hikes, detours, and any off the path activities eating into precious miles in places with next to no charging infrastructure.

Back