New SAE Standard for NACS: Request to Decode

GMan

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring
Referral Code
60T8OVVK
NACS is not what limits Lucids to 50 kW. NACS should be able to support higher voltages. It's the current gen Superchargers (400V) combined with Lucid's Wunderbox. Supposedly, the V4 Superchargers are going to be 1000V - they just don't exist yet. Nothing is going to change for current Airs with current Superchargers, one side or the other needs new hardware.

Will we be able to charge at higher speeds than 50 kW (I thought this was a limit with NACS, due to the Lucid 900v architecture).

Not an expert but this is what I got from social media:

NACS is a standard that includes all voltages from 120V, 240V, 400V, and all the way to 1000V, but it's up to the charger owner to choose what voltage to provide.

Newer cars have 800V charging capability, but hooking to lower voltages requires some voltage-boosting technology from your car, such as boosting your 120V household voltage to 800V for your Lucid.

To boost 400V to 800V, Lucid uses the Wonderbox. The maximum speed for boosting is 50kW speed. That is its specs.

Others, like Mercedes MMA, use a different boosting technology, so it can charge quickly: 350kW at an 800V station and 170kW at a 400V station.

GM Ultium would have 2 separate 400V battery packs. Parallel to charge at 400V station, and serial is to charge at 800V station. Tesla Cybertruck also uses this kind of trick and in real life, it can charge 250kW at a 400V station and 330kW at a 800V station.

Each brand of car chooses its own boosting technology. For Lucid, 50kW speed to boost a 400V station to 800V Lucid architecture is its specs.

It is doubtful that it will change anytime soon.

NACS is not what limits Lucids to 50 kW. NACS should be able to support higher voltages. It's the current gen Superchargers (400V) combined with Lucid's Wunderbox. Supposedly, the V4 Superchargers are going to be 1000V - they just don't exist yet. Nothing is going to change for current Airs with current Superchargers, one side or the other needs new hardware.
So when connecting to a 1000v Supercharger, no boost by the Wonderbox would be required and therefore Air's would charge along their present charging curves?

I have not heard of any public installation of 1000V capable supercharging power cabinets.

So when connecting to a 1000v Supercharger, no boost by the Wonderbox would be required and therefore Air's would charge along their present charging curves?
You are correct but as others hinted, I would not expect Tesla to install 1000V stations anytime soon.

I expect others like EA, EvGo, Mercedes, GM... will provide their own 1000V NACS well before Tesla will.

You are correct but as others hinted, I would not expect Tesla to install 1000V stations anytime soon.

I expect others like EA, EvGo, Mercedes, GM... will provide their own 1000V NACS well before Tesla will.
Would not be surprising to me if this is true. But somehow I suspect Tesla will be among the first to get federal grant money.

Would not be surprising to me if this is true. But somehow I suspect Tesla will be among the first to get federal grant money.
Tesla paid some lobbyist to get a recent interpretation on the NEVI rules that funds any charger capable of putting out any single voltage between 250V and 920V not all voltages between 250V and 920V. Under this interpretation, a charger that supplied 260V, that would not even charge a Tesla, could receive NEVI funding. I agree that Tesla will be one of the first to receive funding, but they will not be 1000V chargers which was intended by the NEVI rule making.

On 4/2/2024, Tesla already unveiled its first NEVI-funded 400V V4 Tesla Supercharger in Maine:

Maine-DOT-Tesla-Supercharger-NEVI.jpeg

Help an electrical engineer never been out here... 250kW charger = 400V?
Nope. For example, a 800v charger can also run at 3 kWh if it wanted to! It’s easier to obtain 350 kWh with 800v, but it’s theoretically possible with 400v too. Nobody does it as that would be inefficient and the system would be pushed hard. In the case of superchargers, yes, 400v equals 250kwh. I do think @Adnillien could answer this far clearer and more detailed than me, so I’ll leave it at that.

Google is my friend:

Enter into the calculator:

400v x 625A resulting 250,000W or 250kW

Google is my friend:

400v x 625A resulting 250,000W or 250kW
Thank you....Where did the 625A come from?

250 kW is 250 kW, the only differences are the wire gets bigger as the voltage goes down, and the wire gets smaller as the voltage goes up.
Ohm's Law
IMG_7645.jpeg

Thank you....Where did the 625A come from?

I can either make up that Ampere number in order to get the answer of 250kW or I can pick any numbers on the Charger label:

XvZx2HF.jpg

AC Input
Voltage Range: 528V
Max Continuous Current: 465A

528v x 465A resulting 245,520W or 245.5 kW or round it up to 250kW to match the advertisement.

The power utility company has to supply these minimum numbers, including the Amperes, in order for the charger to achieve the results.

Sorry looking at the website... but then where did the resistance (0.64 ohms) come from the calculate the amperage?
The resistance didn't come from me. I only enter V and Ampere, then the calculator does the rest.

I don't know what the Ampere number is. I just randomly picked one, then increase or decrease it until I got the 250kW answer.

I got the answers from the web. The right way should be from traditional schooling but I have no patience for a classroom in my old age.

Back