Need advice on Demos

MikeC

Reaction score
Cars
Touring
Hi,
Yesterday, I put down a deposit on a Demo Touring - 2023 - fully loaded. But, of course, today, I've been poking around on Lucid's site and found a number of comparably equipped GTs with similar miles (around 8-10,000 miles) at just a few thousand dollars more. The Demo GTs are all 2022's. I have seven days to change my mind. Should I? Aside from the 20-way massaging seats, am I losing anything with the touring over the GT? Is there a reliability or hardware/software difference between a 2022 GT and a 2023 touring? Coming from a Tesla Model S.

Thanks

No major operational difference between the two that I know of related to hardware or software. With a Touring, you are missing the extra hp and extra 100 miles of range. Since this was a very long term purchase for me, i opted for the GT.

The GT will have Dream Drive Pro hardware which I think will become increasingly valuable to the road trip experience. Also 360 cams, important in tight garages and parking lots. I'd definitely double check that the Touring has both.

+1 that the massaging seats greatly reduce fatigue and increase comfort when you spends time behind the wheel.

Thank you all for your quick replies. I have to pull the trigger on changing cars by next Saturday and I'm trading a low mileage Model S that I really love so I want this to be the right decision!

I’ve had a couple 2022 GT loaners with roughly 15k and 22k miles respectively.
Compared to my new 2024 Touring with a solid roof they felt different both in good and bad ways.
Many differences were due to different options.

Good-
Accelerator pedal required a normal amount of input. Mine is very stiff and requires effort that I find unacceptable. Service says it’s normal.
Entry & exit was easier for me. I’m assuming this is the difference in seat height between my base seats and the 20-way and or the lack of a headliner.
Stiffer but more engaging and stable at speed handling. Assuming due to 20” summer only tires vs my 19” all seasons.
Glass roof feels like a different car. My car with the solid roof is very dark and cave like vs open and airy.
Certainly quicker until the 80-85 mph loaner limit was hit.

Bad-
Car felt overall noticeably less refined and solid with a number of interior squeaks and rattles. Could be mileage, harder use as a loaner, lack of rigidity with glass roof, earlier production or all of the above.

My hope is that a new GT with a glass roof feels as solid as this will likely be my next purchase along with a Gravity for my wife. Will keep the Touring as it’s a great car for my children to drive when they’re in town.

Thanks for the info!
I was in similar boat to you, the difference being my Touring demo was damaged in transportation prior to them shipping it from CA to NJ. They were very slow to communicate this fact, and didn't offer any compensation at all (they simply suggested another Touring demo that became available). During this time, prices dropped quickly enough that retail GT's with fewer miles were now in the same price range as the demo touring that I was looking at.

After I initially pulled the trigger, I started planning a few road trips and quietly regretted not having the budget for the GT. As it turns out, the Touring demo being wrecked ended up being the best outcome...it forced me to wait longer, during which time GT pricing dropped unusually quickly (or so it felt, based on what I'd been seeing over the previous 12 months), so I was able to get a 2700 mile '22 GT for very close to the same door to door price as a 7500 mile '23 Touring. The fact that '22 GT's are fully loaded is very helpful.

The massage seats are no joke for long trips, they're not a gimmick, but really do reduce fatigue and increase comfort IMO. Also, the level of adjustability of the massage seats is more extensive. It's almost like building a custom seat in terms of thigh length, headrest positioning, and my favorite, back width. Zero regrets on the GT here.

If the price points are similar, I prefer the GT over the touring since I’m always the one driving my car. A passenger would likely prefer the touring because of the added footwell depth.

Back