What's new

Navigation routing question

steveairgt

Join
Dec 25, 2021
Vehicle(s)
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Hi, Today I had a real nice test drive of an AGT at Tysons Virginia. One of the more subtle but interesting things I noticed was regarding the navigation.

When I entered a destination point such as Atlanta Georgia, it showed four EA charging locations along the route. Two of the four charging locations showed a location name such as Sheetz or some restaurant, but the other two didn't show any name. It showed how many times to get there and how long to charge. That's it.

I am used to my Tesla navigation routing where it gives you a full name of where you're going to charge.

To all you owners, any explanation about this?
thanks.

steveairgt

Join
Dec 25, 2021
Vehicle(s)
Lucid Air Grand Touring
A related question. I saw a place in one of the Nav menus where you download maps by state. What’s that for? Is it because maps are local and you need to periodically update them unlike with Tesla and Google?

hydbob

Expert Member
Join
Nov 14, 2021
Vehicle(s)
Dream P
DE Number
A related question. I saw a place in one of the Nav menus where you download maps by state. What’s that for? Is it because maps are local and you need to periodically update them unlike with Tesla and Google?
That's to navigate offline BUT you can't plan a route without service so...you can at least have a map? I downloaded it and it is supposed to make it faster to load the map...supposedly

steveairgt

Join
Dec 25, 2021
Vehicle(s)
Lucid Air Grand Touring
That's to navigate offline BUT you can't plan a route without service so...you can at least have a map? I downloaded it and it is supposed to make it faster to load the map...supposedly
What do you mean “without service”? Aren’t you always connected? I’m thinking how my Tesla works.

I’m not sure what the difference is offline vs online in this context.

Thanks

hydbob

Expert Member
Join
Nov 14, 2021
Vehicle(s)
Dream P
DE Number
The nav software needs cell service (as far as we know) to create a route. If you are without cell service (dead zone) then you can't route yourself out but (supposedly) with offline maps you can navigate yourself using the map old school

borski

Expert Member
Join
Nov 19, 2021
Vehicle(s)
Air DE-P, Zenith Red, 21"
DE Number
The nav software needs cell service (as far as we know) to create a route. If you are without cell service (dead zone) then you can't route yourself out but (supposedly) with offline maps you can navigate yourself using the map old school
You can route offline; I’ve done it but it takes a few minutes to fall back to that after it (unsuccessfully) searches for signal. You just don’t get traffic updates.