NACS or CCS?

• NACS

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • CCS

Votes: 20 32.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine you're Electrify America.. you messed up so badly that it caused many car makers to change the standard they're using so they don't have to rely on you any more. Now you have to spend a lot more money to change cables over to that other standard in case someone needs to use you.
They don’t care. They’d probably like to leave Electrify America to rot away. They only built it in the first place because they had to as a punishment for dieselgate.

if Tesla can upgrade the majority of their network to 1000V by mid 2024, then it makes sense for Lucid to get on board. As it stands right now, the Tesla network is rather useless to 800V cars.
And this is what the Tesla fanboi's refuse to either acknowledge or understand -- NACS is ancient 400V technology. Lucid uses 800V. Our cars literally cannot charge on Tesla's network. I'm already sick of hearting about this. This doesn't even take into consideration the CCS buildout money in the infrastructure bill. Rivian needed to do what they needed to do I guess with all of the bad press the R1T sales has received over the last few days.

And this is what the Tesla fanboi's refuse to either acknowledge or understand -- NACS is ancient 400V technology. Lucid uses 800V. Our cars literally cannot charge on Tesla's network. I'm already sick of hearting about this. This doesn't even take into consideration the CCS buildout money in the infrastructure bill. Rivian needed to do what they needed to do I guess with all of the bad press the R1T sales has received over the last few days.
NACS is NOT A STANDARD. Its a connector. It still uses the CCS standard for actual operations.
I will concede that right now, Tesla superchargers are ancient with 400v. Thats also why everybody is announcing for 2025, when V4 SC's will come out. By then, a lot of Teslas network will be 1000v.
It is better for everybody to switch to NACS. We can always use an adaptor with CCS.

Current V3 and below US Superchargers don't do 800V but next version V4 and above do.

There's money from the Fed to build one every 50 miles apart.

As others mentioned, current 400V can be retrofitted with 1000V as needed.

NACS is NOT A STANDARD. Its a connector. It still uses the CCS standard for actual operations.
I will concede that right now, Tesla superchargers are ancient with 400v. Thats also why everybody is announcing for 2025, when V4 SC's will come out. By then, a lot of Teslas network will be 1000v.
It is better for everybody to switch to NACS. We can always use an adaptor with CCS.
It's more than a connector. There's software and tech involved.

Current V3 and below US Superchargers don't do 800V but next version V4 and above do.

There's money from the Fed to build one every 50 miles apart.

As others mentioned, current 400V can be retrofitted with 1000V as needed.
What about the next standard of CCS?

Elon will wonder if he actually got what he wished for and regrets it. Under NACS is CCS protocol and it is a mechanical adapter that is needed to support CCS2 connector. Remember the bell breakup and the emergency of Tmobile Verizon ATT, Dish 5G and MVNos? HUstory might repeat itself if anti trust laws kick in and the NACS supercharger is spun off and broken up into companies bought by oil companies. EVgo, Chargepoint and EA could merge. The EV owners will be winners. Let the battle begin.

Are we next?
This is a great deal for everyone because while others (including Tesla) prioritize city folks, Rivian builds its networks for camping folks like National Parks.

People might think Tesla means the end of Rivian chargers but it's actually an expansion for all but in NACS form factor.

It's more than a connector. There's software and tech involved.
Not really. There’s a small amount of software that negligible, but the NACS plug is 100% compatible with ANY car using CCS protocols out of the box … which is every car with a CCS adapter.

The software part is mostly for superchargers… not the plug itself.

Not really. There’s a small amount of software that negligible, but the NACS plug is 100% compatible with ANY car using CCS protocols out of the box … which is every car with a CCS adapter.

The software part is mostly for superchargers… not the plug itself.
Okay.

Money!

Ford, GM, Rivian don't switch because they would lose money. It's the opposite.

Their stock prices go up at each announcement. The market wouldn't reward a losing proposition.
NACS charge ports are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper to produce at scale.

This is 99.9% why Ford chose to move over.

Actually our cars can charge on the older Tesla 400 V chargers, but the speeds are much slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back