My GT battery degradation

Leafnut

Reaction score
Cars
2022 Lucid Air GT
DE Number
I bought a used GT last month and charged it to 100%. The car only had 5000 miles on it, but the battery degradation surprised me in a good way. I know the car is rated for 516 Mi. And at 100% charged to 515 miles. I hope this portends good things to come.
Do we have an official healthy battery charging routine from Lucid? Charge 80% max/40% min. Or 60% max/20% min. Leave it plugged in VS plugging out when charge is complete? I've searched the posts, but I'm not sure there is a consensus.

i’d imagine that is not for real, sadly. Personally, I am completely disappointed in the Lucid‘s range display. It seems to base itself on EPA and take into account nothing else, such as degradation, driving style, conditions, or anything. This has been my biggest gripe with the car. Apparently, the car is unable to display anything but EPA, which seems ridiculous to me. I am well aware that the workaround is to display it as a percentage and manually multiply that by average efficiency (and then somehow manually assume degradation and factor that in) but I truly believe the car should be able to do that for me. My other EV always did.

My car has 30,000 miles on it and my EPA is 469 miles. If I charge to 100% right now, it still shows 469 miles.

That's a bummer Bobby, but I appreciate knowing the fact that the range is based off of predicted EPA numbers at the time of sale. It makes sense though as I was having a hard time believing I had one mile of battery degradation in 2 years.
Regarding best charging practices, I would love to get more information about what Lucid says and what members of this forum believe is best. Please chime in

Straight from the manual:

Preserving High Voltage Battery Pack Health​

The most effective way to prolong the battery, (when not driving), is leaving it plugged into a charging source. Setting the charge level to Daily usage also helps preserve battery health.

CAUTION:
When the vehicle is not in use for long periods of time, it is necessary to plug it into a charging source and set the charge target to the minimum Daily value (typically 50% state of charge).

Thanks TakeDuo. That answers my question according to the manual.
I'm a soon-to-be former model S owner and I know on the Tesla forums, the consensus seemed to be that the battery is happiest between 40%-60% SOC. Is Lucid's recommended daily limit of 80% better than the 60% I have grown accustomed to setting? Has there been any more detailed advice on this matter?

Thanks TakeDuo. That answers my question according to the manual.
I'm a soon-to-be former model S owner and I know on the Tesla forums, the consensus seemed to be that the battery is happiest between 40%-60% SOC. Is Lucid's recommended daily limit of 80% better than the 60% I have grown accustomed to setting? Has there been any more detailed advice on this matter?
There's a lot of discussions here about the best SOC range to keep the battery in.
In short; yes 40%-60% is a bit better for lower battery degradation than 20%-80%, but in real life you wouldn't notice it, as you need to charge so many times (based on full cycle charges) that the mechanical or economical life time of the car is already long gone before real difference in battery will be seen. That's what I understood from reading all those posts.
And the advantage of 20-80% is that of course you have a longer range to drive between charging.

i’d imagine that is not for real, sadly. Personally, I am completely disappointed in the Lucid‘s range display. It seems to base itself on EPA and take into account nothing else, such as degradation, driving style, conditions, or anything. This has been my biggest gripe with the car. Apparently, the car is unable to display anything but EPA, which seems ridiculous to me. I am well aware that the workaround is to display it as a percentage and manually multiply that by average efficiency (and then somehow manually assume degradation and factor that in) but I truly believe the car should be able to do that for me. My other EV always did.

My car has 30,000 miles on it and my EPA is 469 miles. If I charge to 100% right now, it still shows 469 miles.
Not sure how consistent this is. I also have 30,000 miles on my 520 EPA rated DE. Today, the 100% SOC was showing a range of 451 miles. Plan on querying the SC on this condition.

My 2 year old, 30000 mile Air GT, has lost almost 4% of its capacity, as a 100% SOC is down to 451 miles. I checked with a factory rep at a Lucid event who told me that the rate of decline of the battery capacity was within tolerance and that they monitor decline in capacity on every vehicle.
I use DCFC often and charge to 81% maximum. Home charge to 100% before long trips, 4 or 5 times a year.

Forget the miles shown they aren't accurate. As others have already written just use the SOC % and your actual mi/lkWh realized and do the math. This is the best way to determine how far you can actually go.

Do we have an official healthy battery charging routine from Lucid? Charge 80% max/40% min. Or 60% max/20% min. Leave it plugged in VS plugging out when charge is complete? I've searched the posts, but I'm not sure there is a consensus.

We drove a Tesla Model S for seven years before getting a newer Tesla and our Lucid Air. We use the same charging routine for both cars that we used with the first Tesla: charge at Level 2 up to 80% for daily use, keep the cars plugged in when in the garage, avoid dipping below 20% if you can, charge up to near 100% for long road trips (starting with a Level 2 charge at home and using DC fast charging on the road), never let the car sit for extended periods above 80% charge.

I'm sure we saw some battery degradation during these nine years, but never to the point that it changed anything about the way we drove locally or how long we drove between charging stops on road trips. (Bathroom needs always intervened before battery needs did.)

The battery pack and the battery management system of our 2015 Tesla were developed under the oversight of the same Peter Rawlinson who later oversaw the development of the Lucid battery pack which, in turn, was derived from the battery pack he developed for Formula E racing after leaving Tesla. Tesla battery packs have proven to have very long service lives in real-world use, and It's the main reason we treat our Air battery the same way we treated our Tesla battery.

Perhaps the best explanations for us laymen of battery degradation and how to minimize it are in these "Engineering Explained" videos:

Thanks everyone for the info. Those battery charging videos were very helpful.
Here's one question I can't answer. We are told to leave it plugged in when not in use. We are also told a battery can charge 1500-3000 times. If I'm setting my daily limit to 80% and I only drive a little that day, say to 70%. Would it be better to plug in to charge it up 10% to 80%? Would that count as a charge cycle? If so, wouldn't it be better to leave it plugged out until a 40% SOC, then use up a charge cycle? Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks everyone for the info. Those battery charging videos were very helpful.
Here's one question I can't answer. We are told to leave it plugged in when not in use. We are also told a battery can charge 1500-3000 times. If I'm setting my daily limit to 80% and I only drive a little that day, say to 70%. Would it be better to plug in to charge it up 10% to 80%? Would that count as a charge cycle? If so, wouldn't it be better to leave it plugged out until a 40% SOC, then use up a charge cycle? Please let me know your thoughts
In general, you should not worry about your charging habit and you should just enjoy the car. There are reports from those who drove a lot and abused their batteries to the max due to the taxi business but they turned out alright.

Thus, follow the manual is a good practice.

A cycle is 0 to 100.

Since you charge to 80, that is only 80% of a cycle.

Since you drove it down to 70 and changed it back up 80%, you only use 10% of a cycle and nowhere near 1 cycle just yet. Repeat that for a total of 10 times then you got 1 cycle.

It's better to avoid deep discharge:

If you drive 10% each day, don't wait 4 days to get down to 40% to plug in.

It's better to plug in every day so you can charge from 70 to 80.

Deep discharge is more stressful than shallow ones.

There's no advantage to wait for a deeper discharge before plugging in unless you want to wait for cheaper off-peak electric rate which is a reasonable exception.

My sentiments exactly. Why does the supposed range continue to display based on EPA tests? Lucid has made some major advances with OTAs in the past two years so why not this element? I have not used or depended on it since I got my AGT. Bobby's solution is the only reliable way to gauge range for me.

The battery management system will sometimes turn on while the car is parked in order to keep the pack within the optimum temperature range, either by cooling it down or warming it up. If the car is not plugged in, it will draw the necessary power to run the management system from the pack itself. Better to use line power for such uses when you can.

Back