My fob survived a trip through the clothes washer

Ry4an

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring 2023
While I don't recommend it as a cleaning strategy I'm happy to report that the key fob I ran through a full washer (but not dryer) cycle still works. I opened it up, threw away the battery, poured out the water, and then left it for a few days to dry. When I put a new battery in today it works just fine.

It'll probably be fine for quite a while. If you want to be sure, rinse it well in distilled or RO water, or isopropyl ("rubbing") alcohol, and let it dry very well before putting the battery back in.
Printed circuit boards are generally run through the equivalent of a dishwasher after reflow soldering. The idea is to remove all ionic contamination, like Na+ and Cl-, before applying power. Remaining ions will migrate in the presence of an electric field, slowly creating electroplated metallic tracks (dendrites) that eventually short things out. This is why salt water is particularly bad for electronics.

It'll probably be fine for quite a while. If you want to be sure, rinse it well in distilled or RO water, or isopropyl ("rubbing") alcohol, and let it dry very well before putting the battery back in.
Printed circuit boards are generally run through the equivalent of a dishwasher after reflow soldering. The idea is to remove all ionic contamination, like Na+ and Cl-, before applying power. Remaining ions will migrate in the presence of an electric field, slowly creating electroplated metallic tracks (dendrites) that eventually short things out. This is why salt water is particularly bad for electronics.
I really like knowing you, you know that? Haha

Lol. I thought you were going to say that after going through the washer, my key fob works as well as it ever did! 😅

Had a patient tell me her car got flooded about 6 inches into the passenger compartment as she was parked by the Hudson river last week. ( the Hudson gets a tide all the way up to Newburgh NY, it’s essentially a drowned river valley) anyway the insurance company totaled her 5 year old Audi basically for this reason. Even though the car ran fine now between the eventual electrical gremlins that will arise from getting various chips wet to the mildew in all the rugs that will develop it just wasn’t worth it.

Had a patient tell me her car got flooded about 6 inches into the passenger compartment as she was parked by the Hudson river last week... Even though the car ran fine now between the eventual electrical gremlins that will arise from getting various chips wet to the mildew in all the rugs that will develop it just wasn’t worth it.
Hudson river water must be teeming with ions. They both power life, and are its byproducts.

Back