My first 1500 miles with my GTP

tdub59

Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring P
I finally got my Grand Touring Performance on Nov 8th. Original delivery was Sept 27th and after much frustration car was sent to Richard and his team up in Virginia. My hat's off to these guys...they have their sh!t together and after having the car for a week returned a nice 100 point car. Gotten pretty familiar with the car and it is FUN to drive. I've done the requisite 0 to 60 runs with family and close friends all with the same results. You can talk about it all day long but nothing prepares you for the gluing your guts to your backbone acceleration of this thing. Best efficiency I've been able to achieve so far is 3.6mi/kwh and the average for the 1500 miles has been 3.0 miles/kwh. I was driving like grandma with a fresh egg between my foot and the "go pedal" that couldn't be broken to get 3.6. I'm finding that a 80% charge is good for about 300 miles. It's cold here now and running the heat I have to baby the car to get 3.0 miles/kwh. Just driving normally the car is doing 2.8 right now.
Car handles great! I have a Jag F type SVR and this car is every bit as fun to drive. I'm running the latest software and it is much improved. I still have to pull my phone out of my pocket sometimes and "wake it up" to get the car to unlock, but it always does. I never carry the key fob. When I get in the car the surround video takes about 30 secs to boot up so it's basically useless as I'm already underway before it ever boots up. I've tried driver assist a few times while interstate driving and find it to be more of a nuisance at it's current stage. The "nanny nazi" is incessant...I have to "twitch" the wheel about every 15 secs or the nanny screams out for me to "put my hand on the wheel" even though I never take my hand off. I find that it wanders a bit much for my liking and several times as I was passing a tractor trailer in the next lane it would allow the car to get uncomfortably close to it. It also gets confused really easily. Today I was in the inside lane on the interstate and another lane opened up to the left. The car began to track into it and then abruptly went back into the lane I was originally in. A couple of weeks ago I was using it on a 4 lane highway and came up on a left turn lane and it dove into that turn lane at 65 miles/hr. I had to physically yank the wheel back into the travel lane. It also doesn't track well around curves. The system will alarm to "assist driving" as it can't seem to keep in the lane on what I consider very mild long sweeping interstate turns with 65 MPH speed limits. I've just quit using it until a better update comes out. My friend has a Tesla Model S and the drive assist is light years ahead of Lucid's. It definitely has it's quirks but it's execution is just way better. I know they have a several year head start so I know Lucid's will get better.
the last update came with Sirius XM and so far it's pretty much useless. Didn't work all day today just gave me message "searching for internet connection": I read in another thread where the car has no satellite antenna so figure not much hope of it ever actually working. I have to mention the vanity mirrors on the sun visors...really??? A lame folding flap that you have to hold open with one hand...probably the poorest execution of a vanity mirror ever.
So far about half the time ongoing traffic "flashes" me to dim my lights. The 2 "black boxes" for oncoming drivers seem to be way too low and close to the car to be of any help to oncoming traffic. Not sure how the car decides where they should be, but my experience has been they don't seem to be situated to be of any help.
Biggest issue I've had to date is the cinch motor for the driver's door went bad so having to slam the door to get it to close. Supposed to be fixed next week. They also replaced the rain sensor for the wipers as it was hit or miss on when it would work.
The car at this time overall is just really rock solid...it's way too easy to drive fast. I often catch myself doing 90 mph and it's just effortless...and quiet. Even at 90 mph you can carry on a conversation without raising your voice. No rattles, no squeaks. Hoping it stays that way.
THINGS I"D REALLY LIKE TO SEE in new software updates.
1. A "carwash" mode. A button you can click on the app that will put the car to "sleep" until you activate it again - Airplane mode if you will for the car
2. If I set the cruise at say 9 mph over the speed limit and I get a notice of "new speed limit" it would be nice to just accept it and have it decrease to 9 over the new speed limit.
3. Give the "Nanny Nazis" a sedative. They are so annoying that I'm often tempted to turn them off, but trying to just deal with it and leave them on for now
4. Come up with a nice solution for a satellite antenna so my Sirius XM will work
5. A faster boot up time on the surround video at initial start up.
I know these have been mentioned in other threads so just thought I'd add my voice to the chorus. I know I've written a mini novel here but wanted to get all my thoughts down at one time. At this time betting the software will continue to get better and more seamless...it's already come a long way.

Great authentic review! Looking forward to hearing more as time goes on!

When folded properly the flap on the vanity mirror is held in place by magnets. This folding technique has been explained in another thread.

Agree, the Nanny Nazi has been aggressive lately somehow.

Agree, the Nanny Nazi has been aggressive lately somehow.

Same thing with us. The later of the 2.0 updates seem to have taken a couple more steps backward: audio on phone calls is often bad, slower spool up times for camera views. But the real gremlins from the earlier software -- constant screen freezes and blackouts -- remain vanquished. And now that I've gotten used to the difference in the graphics between the satellite maps -- one of my favorite features -- in our Lucid and our Tesla, I'm liking the Lucid display better.

I just got word yesterday that our car failed the tow hook recall inspection, meaning the front bumper has to come off for the correction. I'm worried that it will foul up the custom wiring for the radar and lidar detection system. Since the faulty tow hook is only an issue for winching the car forward, I asked Lucid if I could forgo the repair if I would sign a release. They bumped the issue upstairs and came back with the answer that they could not release the car back to me without doing the repair. So fingers crossed that the car doesn't have to go back to the radar installer for yet another bumper removal and then back to Lucid for yet another lidar calibration (which is required every time the bumper is removed).

I finally got my Grand Touring Performance on Nov 8th. Original delivery was Sept 27th and after much frustration car was sent to Richard and his team up in Virginia. My hat's off to these guys...they have their sh!t together and after having the car for a week returned a nice 100 point car. Gotten pretty familiar with the car and it is FUN to drive. I've done the requisite 0 to 60 runs with family and close friends all with the same results. You can talk about it all day long but nothing prepares you for the gluing your guts to your backbone acceleration of this thing. Best efficiency I've been able to achieve so far is 3.6mi/kwh and the average for the 1500 miles has been 3.0 miles/kwh. I was driving like grandma with a fresh egg between my foot and the "go pedal" that couldn't be broken to get 3.6. I'm finding that a 80% charge is good for about 300 miles. It's cold here now and running the heat I have to baby the car to get 3.0 miles/kwh. Just driving normally the car is doing 2.8 right now.
Car handles great! I have a Jag F type SVR and this car is every bit as fun to drive. I'm running the latest software and it is much improved. I still have to pull my phone out of my pocket sometimes and "wake it up" to get the car to unlock, but it always does. I never carry the key fob. When I get in the car the surround video takes about 30 secs to boot up so it's basically useless as I'm already underway before it ever boots up. I've tried driver assist a few times while interstate driving and find it to be more of a nuisance at it's current stage. The "nanny nazi" is incessant...I have to "twitch" the wheel about every 15 secs or the nanny screams out for me to "put my hand on the wheel" even though I never take my hand off. I find that it wanders a bit much for my liking and several times as I was passing a tractor trailer in the next lane it would allow the car to get uncomfortably close to it. It also gets confused really easily. Today I was in the inside lane on the interstate and another lane opened up to the left. The car began to track into it and then abruptly went back into the lane I was originally in. A couple of weeks ago I was using it on a 4 lane highway and came up on a left turn lane and it dove into that turn lane at 65 miles/hr. I had to physically yank the wheel back into the travel lane. It also doesn't track well around curves. The system will alarm to "assist driving" as it can't seem to keep in the lane on what I consider very mild long sweeping interstate turns with 65 MPH speed limits. I've just quit using it until a better update comes out. My friend has a Tesla Model S and the drive assist is light years ahead of Lucid's. It definitely has it's quirks but it's execution is just way better. I know they have a several year head start so I know Lucid's will get better.
the last update came with Sirius XM and so far it's pretty much useless. Didn't work all day today just gave me message "searching for internet connection": I read in another thread where the car has no satellite antenna so figure not much hope of it ever actually working. I have to mention the vanity mirrors on the sun visors...really??? A lame folding flap that you have to hold open with one hand...probably the poorest execution of a vanity mirror ever.
So far about half the time ongoing traffic "flashes" me to dim my lights. The 2 "black boxes" for oncoming drivers seem to be way too low and close to the car to be of any help to oncoming traffic. Not sure how the car decides where they should be, but my experience has been they don't seem to be situated to be of any help.
Biggest issue I've had to date is the cinch motor for the driver's door went bad so having to slam the door to get it to close. Supposed to be fixed next week. They also replaced the rain sensor for the wipers as it was hit or miss on when it would work.
The car at this time overall is just really rock solid...it's way too easy to drive fast. I often catch myself doing 90 mph and it's just effortless...and quiet. Even at 90 mph you can carry on a conversation without raising your voice. No rattles, no squeaks. Hoping it stays that way.
THINGS I"D REALLY LIKE TO SEE in new software updates.
1. A "carwash" mode. A button you can click on the app that will put the car to "sleep" until you activate it again - Airplane mode if you will for the car
2. If I set the cruise at say 9 mph over the speed limit and I get a notice of "new speed limit" it would be nice to just accept it and have it decrease to 9 over the new speed limit.
3. Give the "Nanny Nazis" a sedative. They are so annoying that I'm often tempted to turn them off, but trying to just deal with it and leave them on for now
4. Come up with a nice solution for a satellite antenna so my Sirius XM will work
5. A faster boot up time on the surround video at initial start up.
I know these have been mentioned in other threads so just thought I'd add my voice to the chorus. I know I've written a mini novel here but wanted to get all my thoughts down at one time. At this time betting the software will continue to get better and more seamless...it's already come a long way.

Your experience with Highway Assist mirrors mine, right down to the car barking at me to hold the steering wheel when I already am, and the car initially veering to the left before slowly correcting back to the right; and it (HA), sometimes “losing its way”and not following the curve in a sweeping freeway bend.

I’ve had our local mobile technician ride along with me, and naturally the car did not misbehave as badly as I had complained. Then, once I was alone in the car not an hour later, HA’s bad habits came roaring back to the fore. I’ve since shot a few videos of my initially engaging HA on the freeway.

I think I’m going hold off complaining about HA for a while, and do as you are doing, which is waiting for updates that might improve they system.

Your experience with Highway Assist mirrors mine, right down to the car barking at me to hold the steering wheel when I already am, and the car initially veering to the left before slowly correcting back to the right; and it (HA), sometimes “losing its way”and not following the curve in a sweeping freeway bend.

I’ve had our local mobile technician ride along with me, and naturally the car did not misbehave as badly as I had complained. Then, once I was alone in the car not an hour later, HA’s bad habits came roaring back to the fore. I’ve since shot a few videos of my initially engaging HA on the freeway.

I think I’m going hold off complaining about HA for a while, and do as you are doing, which is waiting for updates that might improve they system.
I’m sure it will improve. For now, I have turned it off.

Great review. Thanks for sharing! My experience with highway assist has been a little better than yours with the adaptive cruise control which is a little “wonkier” than mercedes/porsche/jag but I suspect will probably get there. A large piece of debri on the road was not detected and it tried to steer me towards it for lane centering etc. Agree about the set speed feature adjustment for new speed limit- that would be nice. The surround camera I’ve found is super responsive first thing in the morning and the later in the day gets slower to load. Same goes for the car waking up sometimes. Wonder if it has anything to do with the cold? Does temperature affect the speed of the on board computer?

For HA, putting my left hand at the end of the flat part of the steering wheel with an overhand grip solves the "hands on wheel" alarms. I can go about an hour between alarms. No torque force required. When a break in the lane markers appears I always grip the wheel getting ready to override HA to keep the car in the lane. I've been lucky in having HA handle curves well. My issue with HA is the inconsistencies in how it accelerates/brakes as cars enter or leave the lane in front of me. Sometimes smooth but sometimes abrupt.

For HA, putting my left hand at the end of the flat part of the steering wheel with an overhand grip solves the "hands on wheel" alarms. I can go about an hour between alarms. No torque force required. When a break in the lane markers appears I always grip the wheel getting ready to override HA to keep the car in the lane. I've been lucky in having HA handle curves well. My issue with HA is the inconsistencies in how it accelerates/brakes as cars enter or leave the lane in front of me. Sometimes smooth but sometimes abrupt.

“No torque force required.” You’re certain about that? Because it’s what I’ve been doing a la Tesla, to get the alarm to go away. I’d be happy to wean myself off the habit and do as you do.

So does Lucid’s system work with grip sensors, and not torque force detectors?

“No torque force required.” You’re certain about that? Because it’s what I’ve been doing a la Tesla, to get the alarm to go away. I’d be happy to wean myself off the habit and do as you do.

So does Lucid’s system work with grip sensors, and not torque force detectors?
No, they are definitely torque sensors, but just place your left hand in the lower left corner of the steering wheel and its enough to keep the warnings from coming on.

No, they are definitely torque sensors, but just place your left hand in the lower left corner of the steering wheel and its enough to keep the warnings from coming on.
That's what I'm saying. Some Tesla owners posted that you had to apply torque (wiggle the wheel) but just having your relaxed arm/hand on the wheel is sufficient. You don't need to consciously apply torque.

I've tried placing a hand (overhand) at either end of the flat part of the steering wheel as well as actually placing my hand at about 4 oclock on the wheel to no avail. If I don't give the wheel a little "twitch every 15 to 30 secs she starts screaming at me.

Back