Visor Mirror Covers - really?!

smead

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT - Grey/Mojave/19"
Hey everyone. I've seen a few posts where the visor mirror cover won't stay up due to a missing magnet and then another post that talks about how they fold over on themselves and magnetize to stay up. I feel like a third grader and can't figure out if my covers aren't working or if I'm just too stupid to know how to fold them. Anyone got a picture of what these mirror flaps look like when 'up'?

Hey everyone. I've seen a few posts where the visor mirror cover won't stay up due to a missing magnet and then another post that talks about how they fold over on themselves and magnetize to stay up. I feel like a third grader and can't figure out if my covers aren't working or if I'm just too stupid to know how to fold them. Anyone got a picture of what these mirror flaps look like when 'up'?
That’s news to me. My wife tried quite a lot to get the visor mirror cover to stay up and sometimes it will stick but 90% of the time it falls down, didn’t know folding it would make a difference?

That’s news to me. My wife tried quite a lot to get the visor mirror cover to stay up and sometimes it will stick but 90% of the time it falls down, didn’t know folding it would make a difference?
So you just lift up the cover and it 'sticks' (well, 90% of the time)? Neither of mine do that.

20220830_141740.jpg

It folds like the back of a tablet cover (or convertable laptop). My kids figured it out immediately.

If you can't get the magnet to work, a small tab of Velcro should work and still look presentable.

It folds like the back of a tablet cover (or convertable laptop). My kids figured it out immediately.
Can your kids come and set the time in our microwave? ;)

Haha yes fold it onto itself and it sticks perfectly. That was the way it was designed and intended to be used.

Reactions: NPN
Through the wisdom of this forum, I've come to determine that one of my two mirror flaps folds correctly. Apparently, a new part has been ordered "the other one"! 🤣

Didn’t think to check whether mirror covers were working properly until I saw this thread.
Driver’s side stays open (just barely sticks to its magnet…but feels like a slight bump in road would knock it loose…have not yet tested).
Passenger side does not stick at all. Placing a call to Customer Service as a “low priority“/next-time-Mobile-Tech-is-in-the-area issue.

Didn’t think to check whether mirror covers were working properly until I saw this thread.
Driver’s side stays open (just barely sticks to its magnet…but feels like a slight bump in road would knock it loose…have not yet tested).
Passenger side does not stick at all. Placing a call to Customer Service as a “low priority“/next-time-Mobile-Tech-is-in-the-area issue.
Did you try the double fold trick, which is apparently how the silly visors are designed to work? You flip the whole mirror cover upwards, then fold the top flap down onto the lower flap. If you need a pic I can send you one, just not near the car at the moment.

Reactions: NPN
Did you try the double fold trick, which is apparently how the silly visors are designed to work? You flip the whole mirror cover upwards, then fold the top flap down onto the lower flap. If you need a pic I can send you one, just not near the car at the moment.
Thanks for (re)mentioning that (and the detailed steps)! I saw the references to “fold on itself” in the thread, but for some reason, didn’t fully internalize its meaning. That absolutely worked. Driver’s side is a solid hold, Passenger side is a bit weaker, but I think will stay in place over bumps. Definitely not intuitive.

It took awhile to figure it out myself, but folding it on itself does work, but it does have to be pressed down firmly. It's a stiff fold, but maybe over time it'll get better.

Back