My experience after 2 test drives

scharnhorst

Cars
Jaguar F Pace SVR
Hey All,

So i've gotten a chance to drive the lucid GT twice now. First time with 21" wheels and the other with 19s. I have a jag f pace svr, and driven almost every performance SUV in that area, along with a lot of other general vehicles of the world.

Quick experience:
1. The ride is what sells it the most to me. Very good blend of comfort but not numb or distant. You feel the road, you feel planted to it, but you don't feel it in your teeth.
2. Definitely an interesting car to get in an out of. I can't wait to see what people think with the solid roofs, because to me with the belt line being so high, the windows are actually very small. If you didn't have all that glass it might feel very claustrophobic in there. I think they knew that which is why they went with so much glass.
3. I'm 6"3 and the driving position is kind of awkward. I'm undecided whether it is bad, but it definitely is not normal. Almost at my eye level is the pillars, so to look out to your left out the window I felt like i actually had to look down to look out. To make it more interesting, the rearview mirror is basically at eye level too. Usually you kind of look up and to the right to see behind you, now it is right in your eye line. What bugged me about that was the blind spot behind it. Not saying it was huge, but I definitely had to crunch down a bit to see pedestrians who happened to be there.
4. I thought the 19 wheels were smoother, not by a lot. Where little cracks were noticeable on the 21s (not saying the cracks were sharp or uncomfortable) they were practically non existent on the 19s. However, i swear i felt a touch more body roll with the 19s.
5. Build quality differences were absolutely noticeable between all the cars they had. One had the steering wheel creak, but no other sounds. The other had no steering wheel creak, but rear deck lid absolutely creaked and oddly enough it had more pronounced motor whine. Both had glitches with cameras coming on or not coming on. I swear I think they might have cheaped out on the screen refresh rates for the dash, cameras had weird lag. They had some Lucid's that the gap between the hood and the silver lucid front had to be 2" minimum, you could see it across the room and the people didn't seem to care or were surprised.
6. Having driven a lot of teslas, i found the motor tuning to be the thing that stood out to me most. Tesla has felt much more abrupt or immediate off the line, or at low speeds. Lucid has a more of a strong feeling of building up power.
7. Steering wheel should be the same perforated leather they used elsewhere.

I obviously can't speak to range or efficiency. Luxury is subjective as well, i'm having a hard time trying to decide where i place the interior quality/craftsmanship amongst other brands. I've gone back and forth whether to purchase the Lucid or not, 1000 times at this point. One hour i'm all in, next i'm totally against. I have ICE cars, so range though obviously nice to have isn't supremely important to me. In my mind where EVs excel are at those roles to chew miles day in and day out, those daily commuting miles. Lucid would make those extremely comfortable, but maybe a cheap EV would be a good workhorse... These cars aren't cheap, we know there are bugs, we know future isn't certain (i'm not some hater like they could be going out of business tomorrow or something but it is a new brand). I'm sure i'm not the only one whose been on the fence, and i'm sure plenty of jumped to one side or the other.

Some things i heard from the Lucid people were that, they are definitely working very hard/overworked at the moment. They've had some turnover which has added to the pain right now. They have a hiring freeze in place which makes opening for new roles as they become needed a bit more challenging to get approved. We had an interesting discussion around what a premium service experience feels like, and I tried to tell them about I've known pretty wealthy people that when they walk into their mercedes, audie, porsche, range rover, etc dealership they are known by name, all doors are open for them, there are never any questions asked about anything. I'm not saying all of us expect that, but I do know people who in this price range of vehicle absolutely would.

Hey All,

So i've gotten a chance to drive the lucid GT twice now. First time with 21" wheels and the other with 19s. I have a jag f pace svr, and driven almost every performance SUV in that area, along with a lot of other general vehicles of the world.

Quick experience:
1. The ride is what sells it the most to me. Very good blend of comfort but not numb or distant. You feel the road, you feel planted to it, but you don't feel it in your teeth.
2. Definitely an interesting car to get in an out of. I can't wait to see what people think with the solid roofs, because to me with the belt line being so high, the windows are actually very small. If you didn't have all that glass it might feel very claustrophobic in there. I think they knew that which is why they went with so much glass.
3. I'm 6"3 and the driving position is kind of awkward. I'm undecided whether it is bad, but it definitely is not normal. Almost at my eye level is the pillars, so to look out to your left out the window I felt like i actually had to look down to look out. To make it more interesting, the rearview mirror is basically at eye level too. Usually you kind of look up and to the right to see behind you, now it is right in your eye line. What bugged me about that was the blind spot behind it. Not saying it was huge, but I definitely had to crunch down a bit to see pedestrians who happened to be there.
4. I thought the 19 wheels were smoother, not by a lot. Where little cracks were noticeable on the 21s (not saying the cracks were sharp or uncomfortable) they were practically non existent on the 19s. However, i swear i felt a touch more body roll with the 19s.
5. Build quality differences were absolutely noticeable between all the cars they had. One had the steering wheel creak, but no other sounds. The other had no steering wheel creak, but rear deck lid absolutely creaked and oddly enough it had more pronounced motor whine. Both had glitches with cameras coming on or not coming on. I swear I think they might have cheaped out on the screen refresh rates for the dash, cameras had weird lag. They had some Lucid's that the gap between the hood and the silver lucid front had to be 2" minimum, you could see it across the room and the people didn't seem to care or were surprised.
6. Having driven a lot of teslas, i found the motor tuning to be the thing that stood out to me most. Tesla has felt much more abrupt or immediate off the line, or at low speeds. Lucid has a more of a strong feeling of building up power.
7. Steering wheel should be the same perforated leather they used elsewhere.

I obviously can't speak to range or efficiency. Luxury is subjective as well, i'm having a hard time trying to decide where i place the interior quality/craftsmanship amongst other brands. I've gone back and forth whether to purchase the Lucid or not, 1000 times at this point. One hour i'm all in, next i'm totally against. I have ICE cars, so range though obviously nice to have isn't supremely important to me. In my mind where EVs excel are at those roles to chew miles day in and day out, those daily commuting miles. Lucid would make those extremely comfortable, but maybe a cheap EV would be a good workhorse... These cars aren't cheap, we know there are bugs, we know future isn't certain (i'm not some hater like they could be going out of business tomorrow or something but it is a new brand). I'm sure i'm not the only one whose been on the fence, and i'm sure plenty of jumped to one side or the other.

Some things i heard from the Lucid people were that, they are definitely working very hard/overworked at the moment. They've had some turnover which has added to the pain right now. They have a hiring freeze in place which makes opening for new roles as they become needed a bit more challenging to get approved. We had an interesting discussion around what a premium service experience feels like, and I tried to tell them about I've known pretty wealthy people that when they walk into their mercedes, audie, porsche, range rover, etc dealership they are known by name, all doors are open for them, there are never any questions asked about anything. I'm not saying all of us expect that, but I do know people who in this price range of vehicle absolutely would.
Thanks for the insight. Are you planning to reserve an Air?

Back