Motor variance

davidliu

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
Stellar White Air GT
Just curious what are the motor variance so far? I only know the one on the back has 670ish horse power. How about the differences between the front motors in GT and DE P/R?

Just curious what are the motor variance so far? I only know the one on the back has 670ish horse power. How about the differences between the front motors in GT and DE P/R?
Same motors on all the cars, including the Sapphire. Different battery technology (samsung vs LG) which is why the HP is different between them. The sapphire additionally has suspension changes, brake changes, different tires, etc.

Same motors on all the cars, including the Sapphire. Different battery technology (samsung vs LG) which is why the HP is different between them. The sapphire additionally has suspension changes, brake changes, different tires, etc.
My understanding is the rear motors are the same. How about the front motors?

Then why GTP has much more hp than GT despite they have identical motors?
It has a 118 kWh battery, like the Dream Edition. The regular GT has a 112 kWh battery.

The reason the HP differs between the GT-P and the DE, despite having the same battery capacity, is the battery chemistry.

The motors are the same. There may be some minor manufacturing differences in terms of windings and whatnot, but that has never been clarified. Design wise, they are the same, to my knowledge.

On the Sapphire, the twin rear-drive unit also introduces new heat exchanger technology and heightened coolant flow rate. The battery system is also upgraded for higher power and more precise thermal logic. But the *motors themselves* are the same, to my knowledge, though we won’t really know until we have more info on the Sapphire.

It has a 118 kWh battery, like the Dream Edition. The regular GT has a 112 kWh battery.

The reason the HP differs between the GT-P and the DE, despite having the same battery capacity, is the battery chemistry.

The motors are the same. There may be some minor manufacturing differences in terms of windings and whatnot, but that has never been clarified. Design wise, they are the same, to my knowledge.

On the Sapphire, the twin rear-drive unit also introduces new heat exchanger technology and heightened coolant flow rate. The battery system is also upgraded for higher power and more precise thermal logic. But the *motors themselves* are the same, to my knowledge, though we won’t really know until we have more info on the Sapphire.
It's fascinating how battery pack plays a big role in the horse power department.

It's fascinating how battery pack plays a big role in the horse power department.
If you haven’t, I’d watch the battery and motors tech talks from Lucid on YouTube. They are spectacular and extremely insightful. I agree, it’s fascinating.

If you haven’t, I’d watch the battery and motors tech talks from Lucid on YouTube. They are spectacular and extremely insightful. I agree, it’s fascinating.
Yea, I watched the first 3 episode and half way through the 4th one. Really enjoyed them, these tech talks actually made me purchasing the Air instead of Taycan.

I think it has to do with how much power can be deployed continuously from the battery. The motors combined can handle more than the max power draw that's safe for the battery.

Different battery chemistry effects how much power the batteries can put out and cooling also impacts how long that power can be sustained.

Same motors on all the cars; rear and front are in fact the same motors. https://www.lucidmotors.com/air/configure?compare=1

The only difference is the Sapphire has two in the back, side by side. But they're all the same motor.
According to this Lucid VIN diagram there are four “Motor/Drive Unit/Total Power” variants.
1665527474607.webp

Back