Model S vs Audi vs Polestar Impressions

NewEnglander

I have a question for owners who have both Model S and Lucid about body strength, flex and driving impressions. We have a Touring and a Pure reservation and also have a Rivian Reserved. Since Lucid and Rivian were going to take longer to arrive, we bought a relatively new Pre Owned Model S 100D. I am coming from driving Q5 so my experience is a comparison of what i have felt so far. Q5 is significantly better at shockers and is a much smoother ride. Model S is bumpy and maybe it's because of the tires on it which are still original Michelins. I am thinking of changing them to something smoother for a more comfortable ride but not sure if that would help. If I had spent full 105K on a new Model s, I would be highly disappointed. A car that's over 100K needs to have better shock absorption with Air suspension. Also, Model S body is significantly less solid/substantial that Audi. I can try to press the front trunk cover in Audi but it won't bend or flex. Its body is heavy and substantial and feels quality. Model S flexes to my chagrin . If i press on front trunk cover, it flexes as if it was a weak/cheap steel cover. I have driven a Polestar 2, which is lot heavier for its size but body is solid.
So the question is : Do you find Lucid to be more or less bumpy than Model S? Also, is Lucid's body more substantial/solid vs Model S? Appreciate the response.

Model S frunk cover is aluminum I think, for weight savings.

In terms of driving dynamics the consensus seems to be Lucid rides more smoothly and the chassis is more rigid. On the latter the hatchback design of the Model S would work against it (versus more traditional sedan with trunk).
I have a question for owners who have both Model S and Lucid about body strength, flex and driving impressions. We have a Touring and a Pure reservation and also have a Rivian Reserved. Since Lucid and Rivian were going to take longer to arrive, we bought a relatively new Pre Owned Model S 100D. I am coming from driving Q5 so my experience is a comparison of what i have felt so far. Q5 is significantly better at shockers and is a much smoother ride. Model S is bumpy and maybe it's because of the tires on it which are still original Michelins. I am thinking of changing them to something smoother for a more comfortable ride but not sure if that would help. If I had spent full 105K on a new Model s, I would be highly disappointed. A car that's over 100K needs to have better shock absorption with Air suspension. Also, Model S body is significantly less solid/substantial that Audi. I can try to press the front trunk cover in Audi but it won't bend or flex. Its body is heavy and substantial and feels quality. Model S flexes to my chagrin . If i press on front trunk cover, it flexes as if it was a weak/cheap steel cover. I have driven a Polestar 2, which is lot heavier for its size but body is solid.
So the question is : Do you find Lucid to be more or less bumpy than Model S? Also, is Lucid's body more substantial/solid vs Model S? Appreciate the response.

@hmp10 has done a few writeups on this very topic since he has a Plaid and an Air. In terms of the frunk though, the Lucid's is also bendy if you push it in the middle, for weight savings I assume as well.

I would personally like using stronger metals too. If it’s a weight consideration, I find that a bit bogus given how heavy it already. It is a battery car after all. If it’s a cost factor I can understand.

I would personally like using stronger metals too. If it’s a weight consideration, I find that a bit bogus given how heavy it already. It is a battery car after all. If it’s a cost factor I can understand.
Isn't aluminum more expensive than steel though? Also, every pound shaved off a panel adds up.

It's the downside to EV's. More weight = less efficient. Aluminum vs steel etc. all comes at a price. Lucid should be commended for having a 5,500lb car and still delivering 500+ miles.

Many newer cars have gone to aluminum to save weight and get better mileage. I generally drive a F250 diesel that weighs in at 9,000 pounds and the hood quivers when I take it through the local car wash when the air blowers dry off the hood.

An Audi Etron S has a very sold and sturdy build.

And gets 208 miles of EPA range.

So does an Audi RS e-tron GT.

And gets 232 miles of EPA range. Because of its two speed transmission probably gets ~280 miles of range at a steady 65 mph.

You can slam the aluminum hood of a Ford F-150 Lightning shut. And it gets up to 320 miles of EPA range.

Back